Regor weirdness -- When things get weird, Weirdness get going.

Old May 30th 15, 01:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Regor weirdness -- When things get weird, Weirdness get going.

Three BIOS beeps only 1st time: UnRecognized Processor.

So.

That's what I'm now running, I guess. A Regor CPU on an unsupported
MB. AKA: dualcore Phenom.

Clock speed is correct - 3400. Dunno, don't ask me. The multipler @
200FSB topped out at a BIOS limit of x11 on the Phenom x4 that was
just in it. (Need a multiplier of x17 to do this, or some stellar FSB
speeds.)

Temps look stellar! Dropped from 133F on MB / 120F CPU to presently
111F/102F full load.

Process Lasso is showing 0% usage on spec'd and graphed at 100% for on
each core. It's whacked out, for sure.

Initially, so far looking great...I so easily want to be impressed,
but, is it too early yet to cross my fingers?

It's sitting on a cardtable not hooked up to the SPDIF/laser to
preamp/mixer, IOW working soundboard may be playing garbage until I
plug it it.

Maybe, maybe, maybe...or as in the first Alien, at the end when she's
blasting off..."lucky, lucky, lucky...".

Temps haven't deviated. Time to find out what's what where the road
hits concrete.
Old May 30th 15, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 29 May 2015 20:20:28 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Nevermind. BIOS IS, does have x17 (in manual setting). It's a Living
BIOS, evidently, able to sentiently adapt from different CPU
multiplers, apart from AUTO, to a manual setting that's based on the
needed (top) limit of the resident/presiding CPU. Wow.
Old May 30th 15, 02:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default weirdness all got up and done gone away

On Fri, 29 May 2015 20:25:07 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

Booted fine a couple times. Took it over to test - no boot/no signal.

Took it back to cardtable.

Replaced w/quadcore and booted fine. Put back in Regor and no boot.

Pretty crappy fun once the air's all gone out of a can of whopee.
Old May 30th 15, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

wrote:

Booted fine a couple times. Took it over to test - no boot/no signal.

Took it back to cardtable.

Replaced w/quadcore and booted fine. Put back in Regor and no boot.

Pretty crappy fun once the air's all gone out of a can of whopee.

I guess now, it's a large silicon hood ornament.

It happens.

Oh, one tiny note. Never count a chip out entirely. I had
a chip at work, that went into "latchup". The chip was worth
about $300, and it looked like it was dead. I turned off the
power, turned on the power, and it was still dead.

I went home, came into work the next day, turned on the
power again... and it worked. I really don't understand
why it wasn't destroyed permanently.

So give it 8 hours with the power off, and it might
come back. Stranger things have happened. I was also
able to figure out the root cause on that one, and
stopped it from happening in the future (the "latchup"
thing). So no more of those chips took any "dirt naps".

Paul
Old May 30th 15, 06:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Fri, 29 May 2015 22:35:10 -0400, Paul wrote:

I guess now, it's a large silicon hood ornament.

It happens.

Oh, one tiny note. Never count a chip out entirely. I had
a chip at work, that went into "latchup". The chip was worth
about $300, and it looked like it was dead. I turned off the
power, turned on the power, and it was still dead.

I went home, came into work the next day, turned on the
power again... and it worked. I really don't understand
why it wasn't destroyed permanently.

So give it 8 hours with the power off, and it might
come back. Stranger things have happened. I was also
able to figure out the root cause on that one, and
stopped it from happening in the future (the "latchup"
thing). So no more of those chips took any "dirt naps".

Paul

For a free CPU, though, I'd be surprised if I did permanent damage to
it -- other than experiencing an "happening."

Dirt naps. That's cute. If it did not boot up normally, if I had
rather the proper MB ... properly listed and spec'd for that Regor,
then, I might be surprised, wonder about AMD. Or myself, not
considering implications of that magnitude for improperly mating what
as much was idle curiosity in at least an attempt (and damn near
pulled itself off).

I've "fixed" a few CPUs from bent pins (including LGA "springboards").
Damaging a CPU, that's never happened before. The hood ornament
reference didn't initially register, and the thought that it's
actually dead hadn't really occurred to me.

Until now. I suppose if that's the case, I could instead have killed
my MB as easily. Which Would Not, at all, have been within an
acceptable "happening" area. More along a major downer for quick
readjustments. I like to plan ahead, and that's more about verge
stupidity and abusiveness than planning.

Also stuck in another backplane fan off a PS 4-way cable header. For
indulgences and whatever else it's worth. MB chips might have
consequently dropped a couple degrees. Seems offhand 4T in HDD
platter storage may have derived more cooling benefit than the MB.

The HDDs already have their own fan, the only fan apart the CPU in an
otherwise open-sided case, but still seems I've caught them hovering
up around 108F -- if, as presently is, closer to 100F will be worth
the long term dirt-ball effect of an added fan's dust accumulation.

Dirt I'm good with. Have a 60gal. air compressor and don't mind
splurging on a bottle of alcohol, dousing all with a 3" parts brush,
if it gets nasty enough and is worth bringing a MB/build back up into
"fine" operational condition.

(An existing PS, that's added work, for a well-worn unit possibly to
exclude, rather than the effort to tear it similarly down, provided a
$25 rebated unit is handy with a little quality attached to it.
Besides nicely regulated and fresh service voltages, they'll often go
serviceable to upgrades when a new MB/build turns feasible. ...Extant
XP drivers and finagling one PCI slot for lesser quaint thoughts.)

DVD weirdness Flasherly[_2_] Homebuilt PC's 3 November 3rd 12 04:06 PM
HP 5MP RAM weirdness Alan Printers 2 March 4th 07 06:37 AM
SB Extigy weirdness [email protected] PC Soundcards 0 June 19th 06 08:50 PM
AIW tuner weirdness Matt Ion Ati Videocards 2 March 27th 05 06:39 AM
dvd weirdness steve General 1 June 26th 04 08:24 PM