Could a mini-PCIe SSD card work in a motherboard PCIe slot?

Old July 13th 09, 12:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

Default Could a mini-PCIe SSD card work in a motherboard PCIe slot?

I have a 4GB SSD card left over from upgrading an ASUS
EeePC 900A, I hate to see it go to waste.

Also, I might replace the mini-PCIe wireless G card, with a
wireless N MIMO card. Is there any chance that could be
made to work in the motherboard slots?

Luck;
Ken

Old July 13th 09, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
I have a 4GB SSD card left over from upgrading an ASUS
EeePC 900A, I hate to see it go to waste.

Also, I might replace the mini-PCIe wireless G card, with a
wireless N MIMO card. Is there any chance that could be
made to work in the motherboard slots?

Luck;
Ken

P.S. I realize that they don't physically fit, and you would need
an adapter/riser.

Old July 13th 09, 02:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Ken Maltby wrote:
"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
I have a 4GB SSD card left over from upgrading an ASUS
EeePC 900A, I hate to see it go to waste.

Also, I might replace the mini-PCIe wireless G card, with a
wireless N MIMO card. Is there any chance that could be
made to work in the motherboard slots?

Luck;
Ken

P.S. I realize that they don't physically fit, and you would need
an adapter/riser.

There is an interesting table at the bottom of this page. It
compares the pinouts of three different form factors of PCI
Express standards.

http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/...ress_Mini_Card

The connector standards aren't all created equal. The ExpressCard
and Express Mini form factors, have USB2 pins on the connector.
Some of the Wifi devices, have USB2 for the MAC chip. Which
means, they don't use the PCI Express RX and TX data signals.
They're effectively no different than a USB Wifi dongle.

So if you were to consider an adapter, you need a different
solution, depending on whether the device is using the USB2
pins, or the device is using the PCI Express pins. If it is
a USB2 device, it'll end up plugged into a motherboard 2x5
USB header or rear USB connector.

Paul
Old July 14th 09, 05:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:46:20 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
wrote:

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
m...
I have a 4GB SSD card left over from upgrading an ASUS
EeePC 900A, I hate to see it go to waste.

Also, I might replace the mini-PCIe wireless G card, with a
wireless N MIMO card. Is there any chance that could be
made to work in the motherboard slots?

Luck;
Ken

P.S. I realize that they don't physically fit, and you would need
an adapter/riser.

Given enough time searching you could probably find an
adapter for one or both, but it probably isn't worthwhile.
Even though such an adapter card would in many cases be a
simple pin adapter or have only a bridge chip, it's a niche
product selling in low volume with little competition in the
market so prices will be fairly high for what they are.

Wireless 11g cards have been $10 and less after rebate for
the last few years, an adapter would probably cost at least
$20. Since you seem to have an 11n capable wifi network
(assumed since you want to replace an 11g card with an 11n
in the notebook), getting an 11n card for the desktop system
is probably the best option.

The 4GB SSD is bound to be slow, you could probably sell it
for $10 and then get a 8GB CF card and a IDE-CF or SATA-CF
adapter if you need this volume to emulate a hard drive for
booting and running an OS (though still relatively slow for
either use), though either seems limited in functionality
assuming the desktop will have a regular HDD in it still,
the best use would seem to be a backup storage device not
prone to the breakdowns that HDDs sometimes face, in which
case capacity seems most important.

As Paul mentioned a miniPCIe card could use PCIe bus or USB
interface, but since the SSD presumbly uses PCIe, you could
just get the miniPCIe (bus interface) adapter card and try
the wifi card in it as well as the SSD.

There are a few adapter cards here, though probably more
elsewhere if you devote enough time to find them:

http://www.hwtools.net/Buy_It_Now.html

Old July 14th 09, 08:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"kony" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 18:46:20 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
wrote:

"Ken Maltby" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks; to both of you. It does seem a most impractical situation,
I just hate to think I can't come up with a practical use for this left
over gear. It's a nice little SLC SSD card, but for most uses a
SDHC class6 card might serve as well.

Luck;
Ken