Epson 1280 smears ink into border

Old September 11th 06, 03:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bill G

Default Epson 1280 smears ink into border

My Epson Stylus Photo 1280 has begun to make a small
black smear in the white border at the end of printing a full
page 8.5 x 11 in. print. It looks as if the print head deposits
a large drop of ink in the border and then smears it. The print
quality appears unflawed.

Interestingly, if I print several smaller photos on the same paper
with the same settings, there is no smear. Likewise with a "contact
sheet."

I'm using the same glossy photo paper (Costco) and generic
ink that I've used successfully for several years. Changing the
cartridges and using a different paper does not resolve the problem.

I've searched various FAQ's, groups, and the Epson website
without success. A email to tech support there returned an unhelpful
generic response.

This printer has been a real champ and I'd much rather fix
it than shoot it and drag it out back.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have to resolve the
problem.

Bill

Old September 11th 06, 04:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
bmoag

I am not sure what is wrong with your 1280.
However if it ultimately requires a new print head I would advise you not to
fix it, based on my experience.
The 1280, last I checked, was still in the Epson catalogue but may not be
for much longer.
Using non-Epson inks you are lucky that you have not had problems prior to
this.
If you insist on using non-manufacturer inks you may be better off with a
Canon.

Old September 11th 06, 04:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bill G

An interesting point about the generic inks. I use the printer so much
that I have actually saved substantially more than the printer cost! It's
sort of a prisoner's dilemma. Spare the printer with expensive inks, or
buy a new one with the savings from the generics!

I am in fact considering buying another 1280, but I'm scoping out the
field before doing so.

Thanks for your comments.

Old September 11th 06, 05:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

bmoag wrote:

I am not sure what is wrong with your 1280.
However if it ultimately requires a new print head I would advise you not to
fix it, based on my experience.
The 1280, last I checked, was still in the Epson catalogue but may not be
for much longer.
Using non-Epson inks you are lucky that you have not had problems prior to
this.

Oh Yeah

If you insist on using non-manufacturer inks you may be better off with a
Canon.

if you are going to use generic ink consider a lexmark. Canon printers
are too good for generic ink.

Old September 11th 06, 05:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

But you forgot to talk about reduced quality (apparently you accepted
the monetary trade off) and the fact that is fades more rapidly.

Bill G wrote:

An interesting point about the generic inks. I use the printer so much
that I have actually saved substantially more than the printer cost! It's
sort of a prisoner's dilemma. Spare the printer with expensive inks, or
buy a new one with the savings from the generics!

I am in fact considering buying another 1280, but I'm scoping out the
field before doing so.

Thanks for your comments.

.. .

Old September 11th 06, 06:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Richard Steinfeld

bmoag wrote:
I am not sure what is wrong with your 1280.
However if it ultimately requires a new print head I would advise you not to
fix it, based on my experience.
The 1280, last I checked, was still in the Epson catalogue but may not be
for much longer.
Using non-Epson inks you are lucky that you have not had problems prior to
this.
If you insist on using non-manufacturer inks you may be better off with a
Canon.

And your hair will fall out. And then, you will die.
Old September 11th 06, 11:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bill G

"Richard Steinfeld" wrote in message
bmoag wrote:
I am not sure what is wrong with your 1280.
However if it ultimately requires a new print head I would advise you not
to fix it, based on my experience.
The 1280, last I checked, was still in the Epson catalogue but may not be
for much longer.
Using non-Epson inks you are lucky that you have not had problems prior
to this.
If you insist on using non-manufacturer inks you may be better off with a
Canon.

And your hair will fall out. And then, you will die.

Too late for the first. The second is already impending due to sadness over
the first.

Old September 12th 06, 04:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I can offer a few suggestions.

1) Make sure the paper is flat without any turned up corners.

2) Do an underhead cleaning to remove excess ink from under the head
(both dried and current) which may be placing the head surface too close
to the paper If you do not know the process for this, email me at the
address at the end of this, and request an Epson Cleaning manual.

3) check for leaky cartridges, or bad seals, especially if you refill
your cartridges.

4) See if the problem occurs is you just feed a paper through the
printer without printing on it

5) Try raising the head (using envelope or thick paper position) and see
if the problem remains the same, improved or gets worse.

You can email me at:

e-printerhelp(at)mvps(dot)org

(at) = @
(dot) = .

Art

Old September 12th 06, 04:51 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

Millions of people use 3rd party inks with Epson printers and get no
more of these type problems than those using OEM inks.

I consider this very questionable advice.

Art

Old September 12th 06, 04:53 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

If you knew how many people I help with printing issues that use
exclusively OEM inks, you might reconsider your comment that using them
"spares" the printer. ;-)

Art