Magnetic Ink?

Old June 27th 03, 03:45 AM
Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr.

"Gary" wrote:

And when I got the cheques back they had the same micr keying on a small
slip of paper taped to the bottom of my cheques.

Right. That indicates the bank had to manually re-encode your check because
their magnetic readers couldn't read it. Too many of those and some banks will
start charging a hefty per check fee for that... YMMV
Old June 27th 03, 04:50 AM
Bob Hosid

With MICR printing of checks, the material used in the toner beside the
normal polymer materials is magnetite in very controlled amounts. There is
a special MICR font required called E13B which is the one that makes the
almost numbers at the bottom of your checks. That is the line that is read
and verified for bank usage. When people create checks from home
applications, that line is already completed on the check stock you get.
The Inkjet printers usually put in the name, amount etc.
The positioning on the MICR line is very precise as well as the required
"ClearSpace" around the E13B line -

Bob