compaq 5240

Old May 11th 05, 04:30 PM
lifer

Default compaq 5240

I have had this computer for years, not a computer geek. but after
all these years and hearing other people talk, i have come to the
conclusion that this model of compaq's is a lemon.

can anyoen let me know if this is correct?

Old May 11th 05, 04:55 PM
Ben Myers

As far as I am concerned, any Compaq system with a Presario logo on it should
have a yellow dimpled chassis. Presarios have consistently been outfitted with
bottom-of-the-barrel peripherals and motherboards and off-sized parts and
connectors. It's amazes me that they manage to run for very long at all.

I know that this response will attract flames, but this is the harsh reality I
have seen in personally servicing thousands of computers over the years.

.... Ben Myers

Old May 12th 05, 07:55 PM
JP Loken

På Wed, 11 May 2005 17:55:53 +0200, skrev ben_myers_spam_me_not
charter.net :

As far as I am concerned, any Compaq system with a Presario logo on it
should
have a yellow dimpled chassis. Presarios have consistently been
outfitted with
bottom-of-the-barrel peripherals and motherboards and off-sized parts and
connectors. It's amazes me that they manage to run for very long at all.

I know that this response will attract flames, but this is the harsh
reality I
have seen in personally servicing thousands of computers over the years.

... Ben Myers

I got my Presario 5686 in June 1999. It's been running fine since then.
I have, with no problems, equipped it with a 1GHz CPU(originally 450MHz),
512MB memory(orig.128), 64MB Graphic card (orig 8), DVD-burner(extra), two
larger hdd and filled it up with ISA and PCI-cards.

I guess you're right, though, but the picture isn't entirely dark

--
JP Loken
Sending with M2, Opera
Old May 14th 05, 02:23 PM
rujo88

In my opinion, all compaqs are lemons. The fact that they rely on
proprietory OS's is auspicious at best. Head to newegg.com and build
yourself a real system. I have had nothing but problems with compaq
ever since I had one. I've also had a gateway and it was absolutely
reliable, but again, it was hard to upgrade. Build your own box...
this is the internet, ask lots of questions and you'll do fine.

Old May 14th 05, 05:07 PM
Ben Myers

Proprietary OS???? Why???? Well, if you consider Windows proprietary, then
tar everyone with the same brush.

Proprietary parts? Yes, in some Compaqs, for sure. In many Presarios? Yes.
I've handled some DeskPros with dead-standard ATX motherboards and power
supplies. The DeskPros and Evos are fairly decent boxes... Ben Myers

Old May 14th 05, 07:29 PM
Von Fourche

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Proprietary OS???? Why???? Well, if you consider Windows proprietary,

then
tar everyone with the same brush.

Proprietary parts? Yes, in some Compaqs, for sure. In many Presarios?

Yes.
I've handled some DeskPros with dead-standard ATX motherboards and power
supplies. The DeskPros and Evos are fairly decent boxes... Ben Myers

So what are you all saying? Buy a Dell or Sony?

What the word on Compaq after the merger with HP? I bought my Compaq
about five years ago. Have Compaq computers gone down in quality since the
merger?

Old May 15th 05, 01:03 AM
Ben Myers

It all depends on the model name.

I would not give my worst enemy a Compaq Presario, HP Pavilion, and eMachines
junk. But all of these have always been lower quality systems dumped on
unsuspecting mass market buyers. With HP, the Presario is no different.

By comparison, the Compaq Evo is a respectable business-class computer, just
like the earlier DeskPros, starting with some of the Slot 1 systems.

Consumer = cheap and low quality
Business = more expensive and better quality

Consumer is what you find in Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart, Staples, etc.

.... Ben Myers

Old May 15th 05, 03:26 AM
Von Fourche

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
It all depends on the model name.

I would not give my worst enemy a Compaq Presario, HP Pavilion, and

eMachines
junk. But all of these have always been lower quality systems dumped on
unsuspecting mass market buyers. With HP, the Presario is no different.

By comparison, the Compaq Evo is a respectable business-class computer,

just
like the earlier DeskPros, starting with some of the Slot 1 systems.

Consumer = cheap and low quality
Business = more expensive and better quality

Consumer is what you find in Best Buy, Circuit City, WalMart, Staples,

etc.

... Ben Myers

Ok, so what brand/model name would you recommend for the home user?

Old May 15th 05, 12:45 PM
HH

Sorry, Ben, I must disagree. The latest Presarios, the last 2-3 years at
least, use standard motherboards, drives, etc. The last 2 I've bought had
Asus boards in them and were first-rate all the way. 5-10 years ago, I would
have agreed with you, not today.
HH

Old May 15th 05, 09:12 PM
Ben Myers

They have improved somewhat. Half-baked power supplies with strange shapes,
though. HPaq has finally come to the realization that proprietary form factors
only drive up production costs. But I am still not impressed by the Presario P4
systems I have touched... Ben Myers

wrote:

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Proprietary OS???? Why???? Well, if you consider Windows
proprietary,
then
tar everyone with the same brush.

Proprietary parts? Yes, in some Compaqs, for sure. In many Presarios?
Yes.
I've handled some DeskPros with dead-standard ATX motherboards and power
supplies. The DeskPros and Evos are fairly decent boxes... Ben Myers

So what are you all saying? Buy a Dell or Sony?

What the word on Compaq after the merger with HP? I bought my Compaq
about five years ago. Have Compaq computers gone down in quality since
the
merger?

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 17th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM