Intel: The chipset is the product

Old June 4th 04, 09:09 AM
Tony Hill

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 20:00:23 -0400, George Macdonald
wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:11:31 -0400, KR Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 18:41:59 -0400, Bill Davidsen
wrote:

Can we look for processors in designer colors next?

Only in Macs...

You've obviously not shopped for PCs recently. There are kits to
put *windows* (how did M$ miss this?) in the sides of cases to
see pretty blue lights on the (also optional) lights inside. If
you think Apple has a corner on the nutzo's you're just not with
it!

Can we talk, err.. rice?... for a computer?

I'm still waiting for someone to offer a *HUGE* exhaust tip that I can
slap on to the back of my power supply fan and a giant airplane wing
to give my case more downforce! :

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca
Old June 4th 04, 04:03 PM
Walt

Isn't that along the lines of what "Intel Inside" means?

Right now, "Intel Inside" refers to the CPU. Intel would just have
to change that, to mean the CPU and the chipset too. If a PC
builder isn't using an Intel chipset based MB, they would not be
allowed to brand their box "Intel Inside".

I would think that most people don't know that "Intel Inside"
currently only means the CPU, and are already believing that a box
branded as "Intel Inside" means EVERYTHING inside is from Intel.
Intel would just have to make that true.

Robert Myers wrote:

The features in Grantsdale also could help persuade shoppers to seek out
Intel-based computers, said Intel spokeswoman Laura Anderson. That may
also steer shoppers away from PCs built with chips from rival Advanced
Micro Devices Inc..

Old June 4th 04, 05:05 PM
Robert Myers

Walt wrote:
Isn't that along the lines of what "Intel Inside" means?

Right now, "Intel Inside" refers to the CPU. Intel would just have
to change that, to mean the CPU and the chipset too. If a PC
builder isn't using an Intel chipset based MB, they would not be
allowed to brand their box "Intel Inside".

I would think that most people don't know that "Intel Inside"
currently only means the CPU, and are already believing that a box
branded as "Intel Inside" means EVERYTHING inside is from Intel.
Intel would just have to make that true.

Do you really think Intel could get the chipset marketing campaign for
free like that? For one thing, Intel tolerates licensed chipsets from
other manufacturers. If it intends to continue tolerating them, then it
needs to maintain reasonable relations with them, and suddenly declaring
that the "Intel Inside" moniker would not apply to boxes with licensed
non-Intel chipsets would be virtually a declaration of war on licensed
chipsets for Intel cpu's--probably not the message Intel wants to send
to anyone.

RM

Old June 5th 04, 01:19 AM
George Macdonald

wrote:

Can we look for processors in designer colors next?

Only in Macs...

You've obviously not shopped for PCs recently. There are kits to
put *windows* (how did M$ miss this?) in the sides of cases to
see pretty blue lights on the (also optional) lights inside. If
you think Apple has a corner on the nutzo's you're just not with
it!

Can we talk, err.. rice?... for a computer?

I'm still waiting for someone to offer a *HUGE* exhaust tip that I can
slap on to the back of my power supply fan and a giant airplane wing
to give my case more downforce! :

Time to patent my electrostatic ionizing chimney which will work in
conjunction with the hover lghts.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Old June 5th 04, 02:52 AM
KR Williams

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Can we look for processors in designer colors next?

Only in Macs...

You've obviously not shopped for PCs recently. There are kits to
put *windows* (how did M$ miss this?) in the sides of cases to
see pretty blue lights on the (also optional) lights inside. If

... should have been "fans" ---^^^^^^
you think Apple has a corner on the nutzo's you're just not with
it!

Hey, I'm buying one of these Las Vegas cases! I've done some
customized cases in the past, but the labor is pretty intensive, and I
just don't have the time. This is for my 12 year old son, and he
needs a new case and PS for his P4 upgrade anyway, so it only makes
sense to get a flashy, trendy one.

I can *sorta* understand it for a pre-teenybopper. Even my son
has the silly lighted fans in his system (I razzed him about it
last time I visited). When out looking for fans for my new
system I ran into a whole shelf of such absurdity. Yeah, I'd
like to have a street-rod too, but come on! It's a frappin
*computer*. No chicks are going to be woo'd by blue lights in a
computer case! ...an Opteron, maybe! ;-)

It's got the whole schmier - front lights, fan lights, case window
(may need a decent PS)... You can even buy lanparty motherboards with
colorful glowing plastic components, but I'm not willing to risk the
tradeoff of form over function on a MB.
http://www.motherboards.org/articles...ws/1287_2.html

Sure, it's a bit silly, but he thinks it's cool, his friends think
it's cool, and it works just like a normal case, so why not? His
priorities are different than mine.

Sure. If he's a good kid, going with the "right" crowd, I can't
disagree with you at all. I'd make him happy, as long as he's
pulling his weight (at his age weight == school).

In fact we moved just before my son's sophomore year in high
school. It was a little unsettling, but looking back it was the
best thing we could have done. ...much better circle of friends.

--
Keith
Old June 5th 04, 02:58 AM
KR Williams

In article ,
says...

wrote:

Can we look for processors in designer colors next?

Only in Macs...

You've obviously not shopped for PCs recently. There are kits to
put *windows* (how did M$ miss this?) in the sides of cases to
see pretty blue lights on the (also optional) lights inside. If
you think Apple has a corner on the nutzo's you're just not with
it!

Can we talk, err.. rice?... for a computer?

I'm still waiting for someone to offer a *HUGE* exhaust tip that I can
slap on to the back of my power supply fan and a giant airplane wing
to give my case more downforce! :

Time to patent my electrostatic ionizing chimney which will work in
conjunction with the hover lghts.

You forgot the "high efficiency" peltier coolers.

--
Keith
Old June 5th 04, 03:02 AM
KR Williams

In article S41wc.50391$Ly.31838@attbi_s01, rmyers1400
@comcast.net says...
Walt wrote:
[...]

With as many mistooks as Intel has made over the last couple of
years... Nothing would surprise me. What's the ServerWorks deal
all about anyway? ...Intel slitting their collective throat once
again, as I see it, anyway. Dumb! There is no money in
chipsets. They're simply a necessary evil.

--
Keith
Old June 5th 04, 05:13 AM
Robert Myers

KR Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:

Can we look for processors in designer colors next?

Only in Macs...

You've obviously not shopped for PCs recently. There are kits to
put *windows* (how did M$ miss this?) in the sides of cases to
see pretty blue lights on the (also optional) lights inside. If
you think Apple has a corner on the nutzo's you're just not with
it!

Can we talk, err.. rice?... for a computer?

I'm still waiting for someone to offer a *HUGE* exhaust tip that I can
slap on to the back of my power supply fan and a giant airplane wing
to give my case more downforce! :

Time to patent my electrostatic ionizing chimney which will work in
conjunction with the hover lghts.

You forgot the "high efficiency" peltier coolers.

It's fun to make fun of emotion- and probably hormone-driven gaming PC
buyers that you can feel superior to, I guess, but given a choice
between game PC buyers as an irrational decision maker (the desktop
supercomputer buyers) and the warehouse-sized supercomputer buyers with
a taxpayer credit card, I'll take the kids that want their cases to glow
as the better bet for the future of computing, thank you very much.

They don't hold press conferences to celebrate how smart they are for
spending $100 million on their last taxpayer-financed boondoggle or for
working out a deal that turns the availability of low-cost
university-owned real estate into an opportunity for personal fame with
a minimum contribution to science, and they don't expect the whole world
to recognize how important they are for owning computers that take up so
much real estate. The kids who want to have fun will eventually get us
just as much memory, just as many gigaflops, and just as much science as
the press-release generators and self-promoters, with a whole lot
smaller expenditure of taxpayer dollars and a whole lot less hot air.

There. Now I feel better. :-).

RM