Prescott Problem

Old May 19th 04, 03:48 AM
Castle

Default Prescott Problem

Hello,

I recently upgraded my computer system to a P4 3E (1.4max) System Bus
800MHz 1MB L2-Cache

The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800S 848Pchipset, 1G Samsung DDR RAM,
and a Mirage 500W powersupply. (graphics card is a Geforce4Ti4800)

When I'm doing my emails and surfing the net - the CPU temp registers
44C (111F), MB temp is at 24C (75F) and the CPU fan is at 3276(rpm?).

The MB is laid vertical on the wall of the case and the CPU is
positioned facing to the powersupply and there is a 10cm gap between
them.

When I'm playing a game like FarCry the CPU temp goes to 50 -60 and
the CPU is at 4000++. It sound very loud and noisy.

Should I be concerned? And should I swap the Intel CPU standard fan
for an after-market product like the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu.
http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod910.htm

Thank you for helping!

CC
Old May 19th 04, 05:45 PM
Castle

With my new P4 Prescott system, I played an old game - Mechcommander 2
and the temp soars to 57C and the CPU fan is screaming at 5000+rpm...
This sucks.
Old May 19th 04, 08:49 PM
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person Castle said
With my new P4 Prescott system, I played an old game - Mechcommander 2
and the temp soars to 57C and the CPU fan is screaming at 5000+rpm...
This sucks.

Some more information would help - like what's your ambient (room)
temperature, and what sort of case/case fans do you have?. If you are
sitting outside in Death Valley, 57c sounds right reasonable, even at
this time of year.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Old May 20th 04, 06:42 AM
tony

"Castle" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I recently upgraded my computer system to a P4 3E (1.4max) System Bus
800MHz 1MB L2-Cache

The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800S 848Pchipset, 1G Samsung DDR RAM,
and a Mirage 500W powersupply. (graphics card is a Geforce4Ti4800)

When I'm doing my emails and surfing the net - the CPU temp registers
44C (111F), MB temp is at 24C (75F) and the CPU fan is at 3276(rpm?).

The MB is laid vertical on the wall of the case and the CPU is
positioned facing to the powersupply and there is a 10cm gap between
them.

When I'm playing a game like FarCry the CPU temp goes to 50 -60 and
the CPU is at 4000++. It sound very loud and noisy.

Should I be concerned? And should I swap the Intel CPU standard fan
for an after-market product like the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu.

That's what I did. But I don't have that PC anymore. Intel fans leave
much
to be desired.

Tony

Old May 24th 04, 02:52 AM
Castle

No, I'm living in Melbourne Australia and the temperature here is
under 20C. Its nearly Winter, the computer room is relatively cool. I
don't have the temp set real hot.

I'm leaving the case open at the moment - and that seems to help.

One other problem is that the CPU fan is directly facing the
powersupply. And there is a 10cm gap. Maybe if I got a longer case -
that might also help.
Old May 29th 04, 06:00 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

If your case has a fan hole on the rear panel behind the CPU cooler,
then put an exhaust fan in there. This will achieve 2 things:
o Stop the CPU cooler recirculating its own heat
---- and so the CPU runs cooler, as probably will the CPU VRM
o Allow a quieter CPU fan to be used
---- either thro voltage control by the board, or by fan choice

The Prescott is a high wattage CPU that draws a lot of watts,
which requires good case-level-exhaust of that heat. That is also
true of the nearby VRM whose capacitors can run very hot.

Roll on P-M in the desktop, and barbecue back outside.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for fans, books & other items

Old May 29th 04, 06:53 PM
Robert Redelmeier

Dorothy Bradbury wrote:
If your case has a fan hole on the rear panel behind the CPU cooler,
then put an exhaust fan in there. This will achieve 2 things:
o Stop the CPU cooler recirculating its own heat
---- and so the CPU runs cooler, as probably will the CPU VRM
o Allow a quieter CPU fan to be used
---- either thro voltage control by the board, or by fan choice

And if you don't put a fan there, at least block it up
(tape it over)! This becomes a natural intake and can draw
from the PSU exhaust, especially if there are enclosing walls.
You don't want any recircs. Easy to check with your hand.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm

Old June 12th 04, 04:56 PM
fredman

On 18 May 2004 19:48:59 -0700, (Castle)
wrote:

[...]

Just got a Prescott 3.2e a few of weeks ago (Newegg.com rocks!) with a
new P4P800SE. Temps were mildly high, but not alarmingly so until I
replaced my Radeon 9600 with a 9800PRO and an additional 512MB (to a
Gig). Found out a couple of things in the meantime:

1. Check the BIOS under the Power tab/Hardware Monitor, and make sure
Q-fan control is enabled. If you have this option and do so, this
enables the option below it - fan speed ratio. Default is 11/16. On
my system this produces an idling CPU fan speed of about 1700RPM. Set
it up to 15/16 (recommended if you have more cards/peripherals. This
sets the idle to about 2500RPM.

2. With this chip, take a good luck at your systems cooling
arrangements, because it does run hot. I've made sure all my ribbon
cables lie flat or parallel to the back of the case and don't
otherwise obstruct inner-case airflow. I had 2 80mm fans upfront
sucking in air below the HD; I moved one of these to the back panel
below the P/S to assist in exhausting air from the case. And the
clincher: my case just happened to have an side-door ATX blowhole
perfectly aligned with the processor HS/F. I had previously had this
fan exhausting hot air but turned it around (duh) and fashioned about
a 4" tube directly to the processor HS/F.

My stock 350w P/S has been replaced with a dual-fan 500w, but this may
be overkill. Before the above mods I was getting CPU temps of 41-44
idle and 55-58(C) under load (Far Cry 10x7 all medium or better).
After these changes I'm registering temps of 35-38 idle and 45-49
under load. In addition I replaced the stock Sapphire (Radeon) GPU
HS/F with an Iceberq4 copper cooler and HS kit, and run the card at a
modest 400/700 core/mem setting up from a stock 380/680. The case is a
bit noisier than silent, but worth it to keep things running cool. I
am running common bb 80mm fans, and will probably replace them with
Vantec Stealth fans to drop the db a bit more, but this seems to be
doing the trick. BTW, my prescott chips sports the retail HS/F kit.
I'm curious to hear other temps and solutions as I expect anyone with
a 2.8 Prescott or faster has encountered this. Good luck.
regards,

=======
fredman
=======