Real World Comparisons: AMD 3200 -vs- Intel 3.2. Your thoughts, experiences....

Old February 1st 04, 05:12 AM
Ted Grevers

Default Real World Comparisons: AMD 3200 -vs- Intel 3.2. Your thoughts, experiences....

I'm posting this for two reasons: One, I want to know what people have
seen in comparing the AMD 3200 to an Intel 3.2GHz. Also, what are the
benefits of selecting the Intel system over AMD, or AMD over Intel
system.

I am tired of reading magazine reviews of the 2 systems side by side.
I'm curious what the real world has seen of these two systems. To me,
depending on who owns the magazine, it can be biased reporting.

My goal is to purchase a replacement to my current Intel system in the
next 30 days, and outside of what's read in the magazines, I don't
know anyone with either the AMD or Intel systems running at the new,
higher speeds.

Presently, I'm biased towards the Intel system, only because I have
never owned an AMD based system. Are there software incompatibilities
to be worried about, or a unique set of patches that an operating
system may need based on the processor itself?

The main focus of this system will be for Photoshop, as well as
Illustrator, and some Video encoding and editing work. If it were for
surfing the web, and email, I'd stick with the current system I have.

As a level set, the system that I eventually do get will have 1GB of
RAM, as well as 800MHz FSB.

Please... your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

-Ted
Old February 1st 04, 01:55 PM
Species

Ted Grevers wrote:

I'm posting this for two reasons: One, I want to know what people have
seen in comparing the AMD 3200 to an Intel 3.2GHz. Also, what are the
benefits of selecting the Intel system over AMD, or AMD over Intel
system.

Are you talking about the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ or the AMD Athlon64 3200+?
The AMD64 is faster, and not significantly more expensive.

I can't think of any benefit of buying an Intel CPU over an AMD64.

I am tired of reading magazine reviews of the 2 systems side by side.
I'm curious what the real world has seen of these two systems. To me,
depending on who owns the magazine, it can be biased reporting.

My goal is to purchase a replacement to my current Intel system in the
next 30 days, and outside of what's read in the magazines, I don't
know anyone with either the AMD or Intel systems running at the new,
higher speeds.

may as well wait the full 30 days, as prices should drop

Presently, I'm biased towards the Intel system, only because I have
never owned an AMD based system. Are there software incompatibilities
to be worried about, or a unique set of patches that an operating
system may need based on the processor itself?

Not really. The joke is that AMD processors are more compatible with Intel
processors than Intel ones

Old February 1st 04, 03:11 PM
chris

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 01:55:14 +1300, Species wrote:

Ted Grevers wrote:

I'm posting this for two reasons: One, I want to know what people have
seen in comparing the AMD 3200 to an Intel 3.2GHz. Also, what are the
benefits of selecting the Intel system over AMD, or AMD over Intel
system.

Are you talking about the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ or the AMD Athlon64 3200+?
The AMD64 is faster, and not significantly more expensive.

Right

I can't think of any benefit of buying an Intel CPU over an AMD64.

Video encoding

I am tired of reading magazine reviews of the 2 systems side by side.
I'm curious what the real world has seen of these two systems. To me,
depending on who owns the magazine, it can be biased reporting.

My goal is to purchase a replacement to my current Intel system in the
next 30 days, and outside of what's read in the magazines, I don't
know anyone with either the AMD or Intel systems running at the new,
higher speeds.

may as well wait the full 30 days, as prices should drop

One buys a peecee whenever necessary, otherwise it's best to wait another
6 months since CPUs will be even cheaper then.

Presently, I'm biased towards the Intel system, only because I have
never owned an AMD based system. Are there software incompatibilities
to be worried about, or a unique set of patches that an operating
system may need based on the processor itself?

Not really. The joke is that AMD processors are more compatible with
Intel processors than Intel ones

Do you mind to explain?

The main focus of this system will be for Photoshop, as well as
Illustrator, and some Video encoding and editing work. If it were for
surfing the web, and email, I'd stick with the current system I have.

As a level set, the system that I eventually do get will have 1GB of
RAM, as well as 800MHz FSB.

Please... your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

-Ted

Ted, since you do video encoding, a P4 system may be beneficial for you
(although a bit worse for your wallet). If you'd decide to go for an AMD
system however, please also check the thread "Why ppl dont like VIA?",
you'll find useful information there to help decide what mainboard to get.

Best regards,
Chris
Old February 1st 04, 06:25 PM
Stacey

Ted Grevers wrote:

The main focus of this system will be for Photoshop, as well as
Illustrator, and some Video encoding and editing work.

It depends on which way the software /leans/. Many video editing apps are
optimized for P4 systems, considering there are more P4's out there than
anything else right now.

I've found from personal testing about a year ago (between a P4 2.4 and a
t-bred XP2400) that while AMD's can pull OK benchmark numbers on straight
encoding a finished file to Mpeg as seen on web tests, when I've done
special effects render testing (fades, title generation etc) between the 2
platforms using vega video and premier, the P4 is better by a wide margin.

I realise the new AMD's could easily be better at this now but my point is,
just because a platform can render a fininshed file to Mpeg fairly fast,
doesn't mean it can render the trasitions/effects as quickly. I'd think
about maybe e-mailing/researching the software makers and see what they
recomend?

--

Stacey
Old February 1st 04, 06:47 PM
Jan Panteltje

Ted Grevers wrote:

I'm posting this for two reasons: One, I want to know what people have
seen in comparing the AMD 3200 to an Intel 3.2GHz. Also, what are the
benefits of selecting the Intel system over AMD, or AMD over Intel
system.

Are you talking about the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ or the AMD Athlon64 3200+?
The AMD64 is faster, and not significantly more expensive.

Right

I can't think of any benefit of buying an Intel CPU over an AMD64.

Video encoding

Well since my AMD system spend many nights encoding 2 pass DivX and mpeg2,
I have some doubts Intel is more speed for the money.
Given the same money you get a so much faster AMD (Athlon for example), that
AMD is faster.
Someone will likely disagree though.
Then there is SSE on playback (of the same video) and AMD will for sure win by
30% or so.
But all this is my subjective experience of cause.
Also the extreme stability of AMD processors (a requirement for an all night long
encoding session) always makes me happy.
As you see I am biased hehe
Old February 1st 04, 08:48 PM
gaffo

Ted Grevers wrote:

I have
never owned an AMD based system.

I've owned two...........and another "Winchip-C4"......made by Centaur,
a smaller company than AMD, since boughtout by VIA.

Are there software incompatibilities
to be worried about,

NO!........all three of my non-intel chips were 100-percent compatible!

or a unique set of patches that an operating
system may need based on the processor itself?

not for me, though i've heard of the CXT? k-6 core patch for the older
k-6's under windoze was needed to work.......though this is RARE thing.
Most chips regardless of brand work!

The main focus of this system will be for Photoshop, as well as
Illustrator, and some Video encoding and editing work.

they say the p-4 is better for video, though I persoanlly prefer the
better x87 FPU of the Athlon since non-video stuff seems to run better
on the Athlon's x87 unit.

If it were for
surfing the web, and email, I'd stick with the current system I have.

As a level set, the system that I eventually do get will have 1GB of
RAM, as well as 800MHz FSB.

Please... your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

-Ted

--

"I think in this case international law
stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."

"He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with
respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project
conventional power against his neighbours."
- Colin Powell February 24 2001

"We have been successful for the last ten years in keeping
him from developing those weapons and we will continue to be successful."

"He threatens not the United States."

"But I also thought that we had pretty
much removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

'But what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
keeping him from breaking out and suddenly showing up one day and saying
"look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
- Colin Powell February 26 2001

Old February 1st 04, 08:51 PM
gaffo

chris wrote:

Not really. The joke is that AMD processors are more compatible with
Intel processors than Intel ones

Do you mind to explain?

Athlons are built alot like the p-3, and so the software which runs well
of a p-3 runs better on the Athlon than the p-4.

Athlon's are more backward friendly with older and common software than
the p-4.

Old February 1st 04, 08:52 PM
gaffo

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Also the extreme stability of AMD processors (a requirement for an all night long
encoding session) always makes me happy.
As you see I am biased hehe

you must not have the VIA based garbage chipset I have...............

Old February 1st 04, 09:32 PM
chris

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:47:30 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

I can't think of any benefit of buying an Intel CPU over an AMD64.

Video encoding

Well since my AMD system spend many nights encoding 2 pass DivX and mpeg2,
I have some doubts Intel is more speed for the money.
Given the same money you get a so much faster AMD (Athlon for example), that
AMD is faster.
Someone will likely disagree though.
Then there is SSE on playback (of the same video) and AMD will for sure win by
30% or so.
But all this is my subjective experience of cause.
Also the extreme stability of AMD processors (a requirement for an all night long
encoding session) always makes me happy.
As you see I am biased hehe

No problem ;-) I'm happy to have AMD in the CPU market besides Intel. It
keeps them sharp, while the consumer takes advantage.

There was a nice / interesting discussion about this topic in this group
half a year ago:
http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl...net%26rnum%3D2
Apparently it took a dual Athlon to keep up with a P4 as it concerned
video editing. Since a dual Athlon system isn't less expensive anymore
than a single P4 system, for this particular application a P4 may be worth
the money. Otherwise an AMD system may be the best bang for the buck.

Best regards,
Chris (who can hardly wait until his overclocked Cu-mine cellery dies,
which would justify the "investment" in an AMD64 ;-))
Old February 1st 04, 10:05 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:52:22 GMT) it happened gaffo
wrote in :

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Also the extreme stability of AMD processors (a requirement for an all night long
encoding session) always makes me happy.
As you see I am biased hehe

you must not have the VIA based garbage chipset I have...............

I agree VIA sucks in respect to PCI bus, I get lines in my screen using
SkyStar 1 DVB-s card (only if full screen tuxview for example), and in
windows ticks in audio with Creative stuff, but the video encoding in Linux
works OK, no problem (ever).
Then this is an older VIA chipset (no idea about the latest ones).
Playing video with for example mplayer or xine in Linux no problems
(I would not even bother to try in windows, waist of time).
Playing audio, well, I have 2 soundcards (both Creative) in Linux (at the
same time if must be) NEVER a problem, in MS windows do not even try (ticks).
I am not saying VIA is to be excused, but lots of other things work OK, USB,
DMA what not.
There was a lot of VIA bashing recently here, is that problem still present
in the new VIA boards for the AMD64 series?
I found some nice boards here for sale now for 64 bits, quite a choice.
Still waiting for the price to drop a bit :-) (processor).

Intel, AMD... Mirko General 11 November 22nd 04 08:17 AM
Intel chipsets are the most stable? rstlne Overclocking AMD Processors 105 October 26th 04 02:53 AM
Intel chipsets are the most stable? Grumble Homebuilt PC's 101 October 26th 04 02:53 AM
AMD/Linux vs Intel/Microsoft E General 64 January 14th 04 02:50 PM
Real World Performance - 512MB vs. 1GB System Memory. . Wayne Youngman Overclocking AMD Processors 29 September 12th 03 11:36 AM