WiFi + Dialup

Old January 26th 05, 09:16 PM
Bennett Price

Default WiFi + Dialup

Is this possible - WiFi with dialup to Internet

Home does not have broadband (and can't get it). Two PCs, both with
Windows XP Home, one a desktop, one a laptop. The desktop has a
conventional dialup modem

I want to be able to surf with laptop w/o being tied down by wires. If
I set up a WiFi LAN, can I use Remote Desktop to let the laptop command
the desktop to dialup and then surf, as if the laptop itself
was dialed up to the web? The WiFi's ethernet connection to a
broadband modem would not be used.

Can both machines be XP Home or does desktop need to be XP Pro?
Will printing work as expected, i.e., - desktop will print to its
attached printer?

Is there a more elegant solution?
Old January 26th 05, 11:56 PM
kony

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 20:16:38 GMT, Bennett Price
wrote:

Is this possible - WiFi with dialup to Internet

Home does not have broadband (and can't get it). Two PCs, both with
Windows XP Home, one a desktop, one a laptop. The desktop has a
conventional dialup modem

I want to be able to surf with laptop w/o being tied down by wires. If
I set up a WiFi LAN, can I use Remote Desktop to let the laptop command
the desktop to dialup and then surf, as if the laptop itself
was dialed up to the web? The WiFi's ethernet connection to a
broadband modem would not be used.

You could, but you'd be better off using ICS (internet
connection sharing), setting the desktop w/modem as the
gateway. Another alternative would be buying a router that
has serial port with support for analog modem use. Seems
like D-Link 704 does (the metal-cased version, don't know
about the newer plastic one), but that's an older model now,
might be harder to find... maybe on ebay?

Can both machines be XP Home or does desktop need to be XP Pro?

Either will do ICS, but Remote Desktop is only supported on
XP Pro. I don't remember if that means both boxes have to
be pro or which (client vs host) needs to be Pro.

Will printing work as expected, i.e., - desktop will print to its
attached printer?

If you were using remote desktop, yes the desktop will print
normally. However with any strategy you use, you can have
networked printers for *all* printers on every box, such
that you decide where to print what, and are able to set a
default printer per each system..

Is there a more elegant solution?

ICS is more elegant than remote desktop, the router w/serial
port even moreso, but the winner would be satellite or
terrestrial radio broadband access in conjunction with one
of the former.
Old January 27th 05, 12:50 AM
Bennett Price

Thanks for your response. The 704 is discontinued but available on Ebay
for $10; unfortunately it's not wireless. It appears that OTC and
Hawking make (made?) comparable wireless devices - I'll investigate
further.

I'll read up on ICS but if I'm not mistaken, with ICS the desktop would
have to initiate the call and then the laptop could share it; if so,
less than ideal for a couch potato.

Old January 27th 05, 07:32 AM
kony

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 23:50:34 GMT, Bennett Price
wrote:

Thanks for your response. The 704 is discontinued but available on Ebay
for $10; unfortunately it's not wireless. It appears that OTC and
Hawking make (made?) comparable wireless devices - I'll investigate
further.

It doesn't have to be wireless. Plug it into the wired lan
port on the wireless router-as-an-access-point, and enable
DHCP on the 704 router but disable it on all other devices.
Or, if you prefer to manually set up TCP/IP config on all
clients, the 704's IP is the one used for the gateway on all
systems, including those connecting through wifi.

I'll read up on ICS but if I'm not mistaken, with ICS the desktop would
have to initiate the call and then the laptop could share it; if so,
less than ideal for a couch potato.

The desktop does initiate the call, but automatically... you
dont' have to go to the desktop to do anything. Personally
I avoid ICS though, prefer a router.... more secure, no need
for any particular system to be working for the others to
access internet, and more versatility in configuration with
the router opposed to ICS.

Old January 30th 05, 07:41 PM
Christo

wrote:

[...]

dont get an access point or router they are expensive soltions, the best way
is wireless ad-hoc using the PC the modem is connected to as an ICS gateway

if you would like a complete guide to setting up an ad-hoc wireless network
check out

alt.windows-xp

the post name "Wifi networks"

i wrote someone a complee beginners guide practically there, it has a few
flaws but should cover everything you could ever want to know about wireless
computer networks

HTH

chris

Old January 31st 05, 04:14 AM
kony

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 18:41:23 -0000, "Christo"
wrote:

dont get an access point or router they are expensive soltions, the best way
is wireless ad-hoc using the PC the modem is connected to as an ICS gateway

Actually for the past 18 months or so one could find wifi
routers for less than $25 after rebates, making them nearly
as inexpensive as the 2nd wifi card, but more secure.

Wifi Network Joe Black General 2 January 25th 05 03:55 PM
Wifi Ari Oppenheimer General 6 July 28th 04 03:36 PM
A-open M/board & Asus WiFi Card Steve Tandy General 1 July 27th 04 07:14 PM
Dialup Modem Question Carl R General 6 November 13th 03 05:44 PM