Compaq, Microsoft, or Linux, something messed me up big-time

Old June 20th 04, 11:45 PM
Joe Bachman

Default Compaq, Microsoft, or Linux, something messed me up big-time

Too late, I realized that I should have set a "restore point" before I
attempted to install a Fedora Linux as a dual boot with Windows XP on
my Compaq Presario desktop. I did back up all my data files, for
whatever good that did.

The Fedora install went very nicely, but when I shut down and tried to
start back up by booting into Windows, the machine went into an
automatic "restore" frenzy, with my hard drive spinning and grinding
for over 30 minutes. When it was all done, six months of
modifications on the Windows desktop were history.

My user files C:\Documents and settings\owner\ exists, but is empty,
and new folder that serves the same purpose is called:

C:\documents and settings\Owner.YOUR-LK4RLMSU41

As I said, fortunately, I saved all my user files.

I am supposed to be able to undo the system restore, but when I tried
to do that, the only retore points available were from dates and times
after the computer was messed up.

Many of my application program files are intact, but I cannot run the
programs as they inform my that they can't find various registry
entries that they need. These prgrams are still found on the Start
menu, but they don't show up on the Control Panel in "add/remove
prgrams."

Needless to say, the dual-boot screen at startup is history, but
Computer Manager shows that my Linux partitions are intact (and I
suppose the files installed therein are, too.)

What happened?!!? What triggered Windows into performing this
unneeded system restore, and how can I prevent it from doing so in the
future?

Is it possible for me to boot up Linux without having to reinstall it?

What's the best way for me to get my Windows applications running
normally again, as well as getting "my Documents" into its proper
folder?

This hasn't been totally bad, as Windows seems to run faster now that
a lot of my junk loaded in at startup and registry clutter is gone.
But I do want to get Norton antivirus and my firewall up and running.

This really annoys me, I'm ready to just wipe the hard drive and make
the thing a 100% Linux machine. The little of saw of it when I was
running it impressed me greatly. However, I still need windows
becuase I sometimes bring work home, and my daughter has some games
that only run on Windows, and I hadn't wanted to totally dump the
familiar until after I went up the Linux learning curve. So i really
want to be able to get this dual-boot thing to work.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe

Old June 21st 04, 02:42 AM
Joe Bachman

"HH" wrote in message ...
Uh, which Presario?
HH

55300NX

"Joe Bachman" wrote in message
om...
Too late, I realized that I should have set a "restore point" before I
attempted to install a Fedora Linux as a dual boot with Windows XP on
my Compaq Presario desktop. I did back up all my data files, for
whatever good that did.

balance of post deleted to save bandwidth
Old June 21st 04, 06:29 AM
Quaoar

Joe Bachman wrote:
[...]

AFIK, Fedora Core, in the initial public release, did exactly this on a
dual boot install. This *feature* was apparently fixed in a subsequent
re-release. Google Groups: fedora core for some info on this.

Old June 21st 04, 11:10 AM
HH

You do mean S5300NX, right?
HH
"Joe Bachman" wrote in message
om...
"HH" wrote in message

Uh, which Presario?
HH

55300NX

Old June 22nd 04, 01:57 PM
Joe Bachman

"Quaoar" wrote in message

Concerning my Fedora dual-boot problems with Windows XP:

Joe Bachman wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, my googling found quite a bit of net.taffic on this topic.
What seems to happen most frequently is that Windows XP just hangs
when one attempts to boot with GRUB, the bootloader supplied with
Fedora. If one reinstalls Windows, then GRUB is eliminated, and one
can't access Fedora without using a boot floppy or CD.

I suspect that COMPAQ's installation of XP has a command to do a
system restore if XP hangs when booted. Is there some way I can view
what commands the computer runds when Windows is booted up?

The real problem, however, lies not in Windows, but apparently in the
Linux 2.6 kernel. Installation alters the partition "geometry," in
some way. Apparently this can be fixed fairly easily. Then one needs
to re-load GRUB so one can dual boot without having to boot from a
floppy or CD.

So my understanding of what I need to do is as follows:

1) Set a Windows System restore point just in case I mess up again,
and back up any data (not much) I've added since the last system
restore.

2)Insert the Fedora "Rescue CD" I downloaded aburned, or Disk 1 of the
Fedora Installation CDs. This will allow me to start up Fedora.

3) Log on a "root" (I think this might be necessary, the writeup was
unclear on this pint.)

4) Fix the disk geometry using the command(s) recommended at:

http://lwn.net/Articles/86835/

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg02114.html

5) Reinstall/update the GRUB bootloader in the MBR ("master boot
record?")
(How to I view the contents of the MBR, and the message that are
generated whne the computer boots up?)

That should fix the problem.

Does this seem right?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks, Joe
Old June 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
Quaoar

Joe Bachman wrote:
[...]

The entire issue resides with Fedora Core. FC is the beta version of
the commercial Red Hat; it is a test bed being foisted on an unaware
public believing it to be a simplified Red Hat distro. FC will never be
a finished, final product suitable for production usage, IMO. Red Hat
admits that only their commercial Red Hat is intended for distribution
as a finished, stable product.

One should not be required to jump through hoops to reliably install a
dual-boot Linux. For example, Mandrake 10 simply installs. No big
deal. No crossing fingers behind one's back, colored smoke,
incantations. Suze has a new release available for download. Only Red
Hat seems to want to fool the public into believing that FC is the
"public" distro. Frankly, Mandrake 10 *is* a finished product, installs
easily, works reliably, is continually updated for security issues, bug
squashing, version updates.

Why settle for a second-rate, unstable, and dangerous Fedora Core when
there are many other more suitable distros to choose from?

Old July 2nd 04, 12:46 AM
David Efflandt

Joe Bachman wrote:
[...]

I don't think it is the kernel, it was likely a fault with whatever Fedora
uses to partition (do they still use Disk Druid?). SuSE 9.1 tried to do
the same thing to me (wanted to change heads from 240 to 255 and different
cylinders), but I caught it, because I had just fixed my partition table
after 64-bit Win XP Pro had done that to me. I was lucky and managed to
recreate my partition table from a Mdk 9.2 based rescue CD with no data
loss.

So I told SuSE's partitioner to leave my partitions alone and installed
GRUB on a partition instead of MBR. With GRUB on the active boot
partition, it comes up first, which can either boot 64-bit Linux, or hand
it off to NTLDR for XP Home or 64-bit XP Pro.

Old July 12th 04, 08:01 PM
Joe Bachman

I report back in some embarrassment. Fderoa Core 2 is now installed
on my system. It turns out that there was no problem with either
fedora or the Linux kernel. It was entirely my fault for not paying
attention. That, and a rather wierd disk partition setup that Compaq
uses.

It turns out that in Windows I have a C:\ drive that contains windows
and all my user files, and a D:\ drive that contains special Windows
backup files. In other words, if you boot to the D:\ drive, yopu get
the special COMPAQ system restore.

On the other hand, in linux, for some reason the D:\ drive is the one
reported as "hda1," and the C:\ drive is "hda2." So when I set GRUB
up to boot to windows, I should have set it to boot to hda2. Of
course, when I had the opportunity during GRUB setup, the program
defaulted to hda1 as the alternative boot. So basically, any time I
would instruct GRUB to boot me to Windows, it booted up a system
restore.

I ended up having to wipe my Fedora install and reinstall it. That
meant that I zapped the linux partitions using Windows diskmanager,
and then simply re-installed it. I'm not sure how I realized that the
partition naming was a problem, but I should have realized it when
running disk druid, and I could see that the hda1 partition only had
~5 GB and the hda2 partition had ~79 GB. Just like Windows Disk
manager says that D:\ had ~5 GB and C:\ has ~79 GB.

Anyway, Fedora Core 2 is now up and running on my machine, which is
good becuase I did something in windows that rotated the image in my
monitor, so until I can figure out how to turn it around, I'll have to
stick with using linux. Actually, it was pretty impressive. Excpet
for my stupid mistake setting up GRUB, the install was totally
uneventful. Not bad for a non-geek who not only installed linux, but
did so from downloaded iso disks. Maybe linux is ready for the common
desktop.

Joe