Presario 1810 and Win2K Restart Problems

Old February 27th 04, 10:20 PM
Terabyte

Default Presario 1810 and Win2K Restart Problems

I've gotten a Presario 1810 P2/300Mhz Laptop hand me down from
someone. It originally came with Win98. I have installed Win2K
which runs fine. I know about the Win2K restart problem that this
particular model has with Win2K as well as WinXP and other newer OS.
I am wondering if anyone found a fix for this? For those who do not
know what I am talking about: If Win2K has to do a restart (that is
when it is already booted and running), it will cause the machine to
hang on the next warm reboot. After that, then the machine has to be
powered off and then on again in order to get back into Win2K. From
experimenting, I have found that Linux also has the restart problems
but WinNT 4.0 has no restart problems. I don't want to wear out my
power on/off button on this laptop. =)
Old February 28th 04, 03:13 AM
No.6

Their could be a BIOS fix for that computer problem.

Old February 28th 04, 10:26 AM
Terabyte

"No.6" wrote in message ...
Their could be a BIOS fix for that computer problem.

I am not having much luck finding it. =( The most recent bios
I can find and applied is in SP8492 on the Compaq web site.
Old February 28th 04, 12:15 PM
HH

SP8492 is the latest BIOS for the 1810, which is an old model (PII/300). And
since 96MB of RAM is max for the 1810, I would not recommend W2K in the
first place. Stick with Win 98, which is what it came with originally.
HH

Old February 28th 04, 04:27 PM
Terabyte

"HH" wrote in message .net...
SP8492 is the latest BIOS for the 1810, which is an old model (PII/300). And
since 96MB of RAM is max for the 1810, I would not recommend W2K in the
first place. Stick with Win 98, which is what it came with originally.
HH

Actually I'm running it with 160MB ram on this machine. Win2k runs well
on this machine except for the restart problem. Win2K is far more stable
than Win98 which bluescreen often.
Old February 28th 04, 04:57 PM
No.6

compaq website also states that win2000 can run on that laptop and came
with it.

Old February 28th 04, 04:57 PM
HH

Hmmm. Strange, since Max memory on the 1810 is 96MB, according to both
Compaq Consumer Tech Info and Crucial's website. The higher models in the
series (1825, 1827 and 1830) can go to 192MB max (32+32+128). How is it
configured? 32MB is on the systemboard and 32 on a SODIMM as shipped, with
one SODIMM slot open.
HH

"Terabyte" wrote in message
m...

.net...

Old February 28th 04, 05:00 PM
HH

The 1810 shipped with Win 98.
HH

Old February 29th 04, 02:39 AM
Terabyte

"HH" wrote in message .net...
Hmmm. Strange, since Max memory on the 1810 is 96MB, according to both
Compaq Consumer Tech Info and Crucial's website. The higher models in the
series (1825, 1827 and 1830) can go to 192MB max (32+32+128). How is it
configured? 32MB is on the systemboard and 32 on a SODIMM as shipped, with
one SODIMM slot open.
HH

"Terabyte" wrote in message
m...
Actually I'm running it with 160MB ram on this machine.

Actually if you believe Compaq and Crucial, this system only will do up
to 96MB which is the 32MB onboard with a 64MB memory stick in the SODIMM
slot (32+64=96). Put a 128MB memory stick in the SODIMM slot and the unit
will recognize and utilize the full memory amount of 160MB (32+128=160).
Old February 29th 04, 11:27 AM
HH

At any rate, it seems the unit takes more than the Compaq spec. Thanks for
the info.
HH

"Terabyte" wrote in message
"HH" wrote in message

.net...
Hmmm. Strange, since Max memory on the 1810 is 96MB, according to both
Compaq Consumer Tech Info and Crucial's website. The higher models in

the
series (1825, 1827 and 1830) can go to 192MB max (32+32+128). How is it
configured? 32MB is on the systemboard and 32 on a SODIMM as shipped,

with
one SODIMM slot open.
HH

m...