5430US startup problem

Old January 26th 04, 04:38 PM
Matt

Default 5430US startup problem

I'm taking a look at a friends Compaq for him and I'm having some
problems. I personally haven't made the jump to XP yet (I'm saving for
a completely new system) so I'm not sure if there's an XP workaround for
this or not.

He said that the computer just shut down on it's own and he heard
strange noises coming from inside the case (like maybe frying circuitry)
though I don't see any burn marks in the system. Now when you try to
reboot the system you get a screen saying that windows didn't properly
shut down, possibly due to a hardware or software problem, etc... and I
can't get it to boot in any of the modes. All it will do is start the
boot, show the Win XP screen for a couple of seconds then reboot to the
XP improper shutdown screen. I've pulled all the PCI cards and tried
each
ram stick by it's self and I'm still stuck in this cyclical
shutdown/restart mode. Is this possibly a bad motherboard (if it is
then this is
then first bad one I've seen that will let me get that far in a post)?
Or is
this some funky Windows XP thing with the shut down/reboot problem?

Old January 26th 04, 06:12 PM
Matt

I don't know, I don't have his WinXP CD to try... that's going to be my
last step when I get it tomorrow. I just think it's strange that it
will sort of boot and go into the beginnings of a windows startup before
it restarts.

. net...

Old January 26th 04, 10:28 PM
Trai' La Trash

Matt wrote:
[...]

IT'S NOT HARDWARE RELATED!!!!

I've had this happen for no reason what so ever on XP machines 3 times so
far.
Boot from the cd and go past the first repair option then continue like you
are going to do and install and choose the repair option from there.
This usually keeps all your programs and files intact.

Trai'

Old January 26th 04, 10:43 PM
HH

Try:
http://www.bootdisk.com
to download a bootdisk for just about any OS.

HH

"Matt" wrote in message
I don't know, I don't have his WinXP CD to try... that's going to be my
last step when I get it tomorrow. I just think it's strange that it
will sort of boot and go into the beginnings of a windows startup before
it restarts.

. net...

Old January 27th 04, 01:40 PM
Matt

"Trai' La Trash" wrote in message
Matt wrote:

IT'S NOT HARDWARE RELATED!!!!

I've had this happen for no reason what so ever on XP machines 3 times

so
far.
Boot from the cd and go past the first repair option then continue

like you
are going to do and install and choose the repair option from there.
This usually keeps all your programs and files intact.

I didn't get a chance to check with my friend last night but do Compaq
computers even come with a Windows XP disk? I thought they only shipped
out with a Compaq recovery disk.

Old January 27th 04, 02:11 PM
HH

Recovery CD only. There is no separate OS CD available. A QuickRestore CD
kit is available from Compaq for $10 (See link at top of Compaq FAQ).

HH

Old January 27th 04, 02:37 PM
Matt

"HH" wrote in message
. net...
Recovery CD only. There is no separate OS CD available. A QuickRestore

CD
kit is available from Compaq for $10 (See link at top of Compaq FAQ).

Well if that's the case and this is indeed an XP related problem, then
how do I restore the system without destroying all data currently on the
system?

Old January 27th 04, 03:42 PM
HH

You likely can't. A full Quickrestore wipes the drive first, then re-creates
the D: System_sav partition, then restores the original software image.
HH

"Matt" wrote in message

. net...

Old January 27th 04, 03:56 PM
Trai' La Trash

Matt wrote:
"HH" wrote in message
. net...
Recovery CD only. There is no separate OS CD available. A
QuickRestore CD kit is available from Compaq for $10 (See link at
top of Compaq FAQ).

Well if that's the case and this is indeed an XP related problem, then
how do I restore the system without destroying all data currently on
the system?

Take the drive out and put it in another machine as a slave and recover your
files then put the drive back in the machine and use your restore disc.

After that is might be a good idea to install the recovery console so you
don't get in this situation again.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...ll_console.asp

GA-6VX7-4x Startup problem on POST VG Gigabyte Motherboards 0 November 24th 04 01:48 PM
Unusual DVD-rom problem Sizif General 0 July 7th 04 03:25 PM
Startup problem...which part is to blame? Jim Smith Homebuilt PC's 6 June 10th 04 05:18 AM
This problem has baffled everyone... Nick G General 46 May 22nd 04 04:01 AM
Could this be a PSU problem? Steve Gigabyte Motherboards 0 September 14th 03 08:36 AM