New hard drive...can't restore

Old October 11th 03, 04:42 PM
Blue

Default New hard drive...can't restore

System: Compaq Presario 7000Z 7PLM11
Problem:
Original HD failed. Guy ordered a new one from Compaq and they sent one the
same size (different brand, no "system save" partition)
Install drive, recognized
Insert QuickRestore and boot.
QuickRestore starts then immediately displays "run-time error R6003 -
integer divide by 0" and an DOS prompt.

I suspect QR is looking for that D: partition to identify the system. Is
there any way to recreate that?

Compaq tech support refused to provide any help since the system (bought in
2000) is out of warranty, unless he paid $30 for a support call\ or extended
his warranty for a year for $50. They said take it to an authorized Compaq
service center (Radio Shack???? They have got to be joking...I wouldn't take
my dogs squeak toy to RS for repair!)

Old October 12th 03, 01:29 AM
Homer Simpson

Try fdisking and formatting hard disk first, using a bootable floppy with
fdisk and format on it.

Old October 12th 03, 02:55 AM
Homer Simpson

Okay, try cleaning the QR CD. I have seen wierd crashing problems like that
from a dirty CD.

Otherwise, as long as you have at least 128MB RAM and a 300MHz CPU
(preferably 256MB RAM and 700MHz), install Windows XP Home from scratch.
First borrow a XP CD from a friend just to see if it will work. If it
works, wipe the hard drive clean and buy your own copy of XP (stay legal).

Old October 12th 03, 03:29 AM
Blue

Done the cleaning thing. No go. Emergency Disk freaks out too. Tried
everything. I know I can install an OS on the drive because I tried that
after FDISK and format. It's not mine...it's a clients and the original OS
is ME. He shouldn't *have* to buy a new OS as well as a new hard drive (even
though ME is a POS and I can't imagine anyone actually *wanting* it on their
system). Friggin' Compaqs....I am going to tell him to trash it and get a
real computer. I am thoroughly disgusted. Have installed hundreds of HD and
only ones that ever give me any problem are Compaqs.

Old October 12th 03, 05:21 AM
Homer Simpson

I'm not going to defend Compaqs; I have seen my share of quirky hardware in
the Presario line (and Deskpro line to a lesser extent). I would say you
have a defective QR CD. You could pay Compaq another $20-30 for another
one. However, this qualifies for the XP upgrade pricing since ME came
pre-installed. If the hardware can handle it, do the XP upgrade thing and
enjoy the newfound stability ME never had. Even if the QR worked, the XP
upgrade would be worth it. If the hardware isn't up to it, then yes, tell
him to trash it and get a real computer (Dell perhaps) or build him a clone
if he wants versatility and upgradeability. I have had some good out-of-box
experiences with Dells. I have seen some good Compaq Evo's too.

Old October 16th 03, 02:27 PM
the yeti

The Yeti Thinks that the problem is identified in the origional post.
The Quick Restore cd is looking for the D: SystemSav partition.
However, on a new HD, of course, there is no such animal. Options,
spend $10 and buy the full restore CD set from Compaq, Spend $70-$300
for a new OS from M$, Instlall a bootleg OS, Install Linux.

Personally I would most likely install a bootleg version of Win2k or
Win9x, if it were my own box, Mandrake Linux.

PS..

Did I read your First Post wrong, you spent how much for a HD from
Compaq??? You can get 120 gig drives from Best Buy for $90 dude.

PPS, There is nothing wrong with the hardware, its the tool you are
using. If all else fails, you can use duct tape to build a house.
Old October 16th 03, 02:30 PM
the yeti

2nd post, I just thought of somthing.

If you had ME on the system before, there should be a sticker on the
side of the case with a ME product ID # on it. So get a CD with ME on
it, install, use your coustomers product key, and you have a nice,
legal, Operating System.