Is my Mobo dead?

Old April 17th 04, 12:34 AM
bobjones

Default Is my Mobo dead?

Just tried to install the P4P800 mobo this morning.
After hooking things up I stated the computer and on screen was something to
the effect "looking for cd-rom P4P800-rom".
It did this several times (I forgot to have the mobo cd in the drive). I put
in the cd, the boot process didn't seem to be able to find it so I turned
off the computer and then back on.
After that I get nothing on the monitor (just a bouncing square telling me
the monitor is working, check the computer). The mobo doen't go into POST (I
get no beeps whatsoever) and hitting "delete" does not take me to "setup". I
can't even turn the computer off using the power button. I have to turn the
switch off on the back.
After several attemps and various peripheral options, I only had the video
card, harddrive, floppy, cd, mouse and keyboard attached but nothing
changed.
I had to re-install my old mobo just so I could send this post.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
tia.

Old April 17th 04, 07:12 AM
Paul

In article u4_fc.34279$aD.21176@edtnps89, "bobjones" wrote:

[...]

What happened was, the Boot Block code in the BIOS flash chip
did a checksum on the rest of the chip contents and determined
it was corrupted. There is a built-in flashing routine, and
all it needs, is to be able to read a file named "P4C800.ROM"
off the motherboard CD, to re-flash the BIOS chip.

You probably turned off the power while it was in the middle
of flashing the chip. Bye, bye, boot block.

Either find a shop that can flash the BIOS chip for you or
return the motherboard under warranty to either your vendor
or to Asus. This really shouldn't be happening on a new
board anyway.

Paul