Intel vs. AMD: Best bang for buck, at the moment

Old September 21st 04, 07:25 PM
JK

JAD wrote:

Tell me, are you just really trying to use up what time you have
before Intel releases its 64 line?

Intel has released 64 bit Xeon and Pentium 4 chips. Go to the Dell
website and you can configure systems with these. The upgrade
from a 32 bit processor to a 64 bit one will probably be expensive
though.

Or is it you believe that Intel
won't enter the market? R&D costs a bunch, letting amd 'Take the
point' for once, is IMO, good marketing strategy( let alone the
increased practicality in waiting for 64bit software). Let them get
wounded. ! beta OS or linux....WOW!!!!! sounds like fun....?

"GTS" wrote in message

SNIP
Who cares if the Intel chips are faster in some benchmarks? The

results are
so close, but the AMD's can run 64-bit software, which the Intel's

cannot.
Many are already running 64-bit software - either Linux or beta

Windows64.
Why buy a chip that only supports 32bit, for the same price as one

that does
32&64 well.
Also Windows XP SP2 has enhanced AV capabilities with the AMD64

chips...

Old September 21st 04, 07:32 PM
GTS

"JAD" wrote in message
Tell me, are you just really trying to use up what time you have
before Intel releases its 64 line? Or is it you believe that Intel

"GTS" wrote in message

SNIP
Who cares if the Intel chips are faster in some benchmarks? The

results are
so close, but the AMD's can run 64-bit software, which the Intel's

cannot.
Many are already running 64-bit software - either Linux or beta

Windows64.
Why buy a chip that only supports 32bit, for the same price as one

that does
32&64 well.
Also Windows XP SP2 has enhanced AV capabilities with the AMD64

chips...

Well you may be able to buy a new CPU everytime a new flavour comes out, but
I would be looking for at least 3 years out of a new purchase - and even
then I just move the older one onto the home network. It's called future
proofing - if you are buying a new chip NOW and don't want to pay silly
money for a 64-bit only Intel which would be pretty useless anyway with
todays software.

Old September 23rd 04, 10:07 AM
JS

DaveC., JK

Many Thanks for your posts gentlemen.

JS
Old September 23rd 04, 01:54 PM
Matt

JAD wrote:

! beta OS or linux....WOW!!!!! sounds like fun....?

Most people buy computers to last 2 to 5 years.

Now let's see ... if a 64-bit system costs no more than a 32-bit system
.... which should I buy ... hmmm ... I just don't know ... let me get
back to you on that ...

Oh! I know! 64-bit software is a pipe dream! It'll never happen!
Old September 23rd 04, 01:57 PM
JK

Good post! The Intel supporters seem to be cluless. Will they be
advising those with a 32 bit processor to upgrade to Intel's 64
bit processors early next year when 64 bit Windows is released?

Old September 23rd 04, 05:02 PM
JAD

heh all the pro URL's good job....you must be a politician

"JK" wrote in message
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9164010,00.htm
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=1
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=257&p=2
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
http://techny.com/articles.cfm?getar...&go=0.53769656
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=1

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...X3BhZ2U9MQ= =

JS wrote:

"Dave C." wrote in

:

Can you post links to more benchmarks that support your opinion. I

am in
the process of choosing Intel or AMD and would like to take a look

at more
benchmarks comparing AMD and Intel.

TIA

Old September 23rd 04, 07:54 PM
JK

JAD wrote:

heh all the pro URL's

I wouldn't want to settle for using amateur ones.

good job..

Thank you.

..you must be a politician

A politician? If I was one, I might be looking
for the most expensive processors.

"JK" wrote in message
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9164010,00.htm
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=1
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=257&p=2
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
http://techny.com/articles.cfm?getar...&go=0.53769656
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=1

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...X3BhZ2U9MQ= =

JS wrote:

"Dave C." wrote in

:

Old September 23rd 04, 08:32 PM
Moderately Confused

"JK" wrote in message
Good post! The Intel supporters seem to be cluless. Will they be
advising those with a 32 bit processor to upgrade to Intel's 64
bit processors early next year when 64 bit Windows is released?

Not everyone buys the latest and greatest. That goes for both the software
and the hardware. Some people are content with Windows95 and a 200mhz
processor.

MC

Old September 23rd 04, 08:36 PM
JK

Moderately Confused wrote:

"JK" wrote in message
Good post! The Intel supporters seem to be cluless. Will they be
advising those with a 32 bit processor to upgrade to Intel's 64
bit processors early next year when 64 bit Windows is released?

Not everyone buys the latest and greatest. That goes for both the software
and the hardware. Some people are content with Windows95 and a 200mhz
processor.

Buying older technology is okay if it is cheap. Buying a 32 bit processor for
under $100 isn't bad, but paying a few hundred for one is silly.

MC