Intel vs. AMD: Best bang for buck, at the moment

Old September 20th 04, 10:26 PM
Dave C.

Default Intel vs. AMD: Best bang for buck, at the moment

OK, I am totally ****ing FED UP with all these morons insisting that AMD is
faster and cheaper than Intel, PERIOD. I am a HUGE AMD fan. So it's
incredibly ironic that I should feel compelled to defend Intel against
repetitive, undeserved LIES posted on this ng and others about how AMD chips
are both faster AND cheaper than Intel chips. At any particular point in
time, that might be true, but it hasn't been true for quite a while, and it
isn't true NOW. For anyone who doesn't have their head up their ass, or an
axe to grind, and wants to know the plain, simple truth, here it is:

Stop the nonsense. Compare chips similar in price and look at the
benchmarks.
AMD processors outperform comparably priced Intel processors for gaming,
business applications, mathematical calculations, and many other types of
applications.

OK, according to pricewatch, same price range at the moment would be:

P4 3.2 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3200+ or

P4 3.4 Prescott vs. Athlon64 3400+

Beyond that range, you can pay up to several hundred dollars for either an
Intel or AMD chip, but hardly anybody gives a damn about those chips, as
hardly anybody spends as much on a processor as they do on the entire rest
of their system combined.

So the P4 3.2/3.4 and Athlon64 3200/3400 would be the best indicators of who
has the best bang for buck, at the moment.

Gaming: OpenGL: The Intel chips are much faster
Gaming: DX8: The AMD chips are faster, no doubt about it
Gaming: DX9: It's virtually a tie, as the AMD chips are two to three
TENTHS of a percentage point faster than Intel.
So on the gaming benchmarks, that's one win for Intel, one win for AMD and
one tie.
GAMING OVERALL: TIED

Business Applications: Office Applications: Intel blows AMD away
Business Applications: Internet Content Creation: Intel blows AMD away
Business Applications: Overall: Intel blows AMD away

Video Encoding: This one is so lopsided, AMD should have thrown in the
towel before entering the ring. Intel wins by a landslide.

Audio Encoding: Again, Intel wins by a landslide

Synthetic Benchmarks: (PC Mark 2004): Here, Intel blows AMD away on both
*CPU* and memory benchmarks

Actually, I'm glad you called me out on this issue. I was previously under
the impression that AMD and Intel were pretty well matched. But on
reviewing the benchmarks again, I'd have to conclude that AMD is only a good
idea if you plan to do nothing but DX8 gaming with your computer.
Otherwise, you are wasting your money buying an AMD chip.

Again, even at the same price for CPU, an Intel system can be cheaper to
build, as the P4 boards are more mature at this point, and thus there are
better bargains to be found. Considering that an Intel system will likely
be cheaper to build and WILL perform better on all benchmarks except DX8,
it's kind of a no-brainer as to which chip to build with, at the moment.

Intel is better than AMD, at the moment. The only way AMD could change that
would be to drop their prices by 30% or better. -Dave 9/20/04

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040322/index.html

Yeah, I know you are going to blast Tom's Hardware. It's funny that their
benchmarks agree with tests run by all the other hardware guide web sites,
though . . . including anandtech.

Old September 20th 04, 11:02 PM
JAD

OMG!!....... quickly turn to any mirror and say "AMD is God" 3 times
and hope that the minions will take pity on you........... ;^) this
will be a run for the longest thread this year.

Old September 20th 04, 11:10 PM
Dave C.

"JAD" wrote in message
OMG!!....... quickly turn to any mirror and say "AMD is God" 3 times
and hope that the minions will take pity on you........... ;^)

Don't worry. I've already donned my asbestos suit. They can flame away,
burn me to crispy critters, and they'll still be WRONG. But no doubt
they will scream at the top of their lungs that AMD rocks and Intel sucks.
So predictable. -Dave

Old September 20th 04, 11:12 PM
Matt

Dave C. wrote:

reviewing the benchmarks again, I'd have to conclude that AMD is only a good
idea if you plan to do nothing but DX8 gaming with your computer.
Otherwise, you are wasting your money buying an AMD chip.

What if you are building your own apps, using a compiler that generates
64-bit code, and running on a system with 64-bit runtime libraries?
Like with Linux for instance?
Old September 21st 04, 10:52 AM
JS

"Dave C." wrote in :

Can you post links to more benchmarks that support your opinion. I am in
the process of choosing Intel or AMD and would like to take a look at more
benchmarks comparing AMD and Intel.

TIA
Old September 21st 04, 12:45 PM
Dave C.

"JS" wrote in message
. 1...
"Dave C." wrote in :

Can you post links to more benchmarks that support your opinion. I am in
the process of choosing Intel or AMD and would like to take a look at more
benchmarks comparing AMD and Intel.

TIA

No problem! Let's start at anandtech. The following is an article on the
Athlon 64 2800+. But more interesting is, the benchmarks included in the
article are a GREAT comparison of the 3.2GHz P4 processors with the Athlon64
3200+. In this article, these two processors are pretty evenly matched,
with Intel being faster on some benchmarks, and AMD being faster on others.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2038&p=1

Now lets look at what Sharky Extreme has to report in their article about
the 3.4GHz Prescott processor. This one has benchmarks that are a great
comparison of the 3.4GHz Intel chips with the Athlon64 3400+. Here, you
have to be careful, as Sharky doesn't organize their charts in order of
fastest to slowest. And on some charts, LOWER scores are better. But if
you read all the benchmarks, you will again notice that the two chips are
pretty evenly matched, with AMD faster on some and Intel faster on others.

http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...261_3329681__1

I'd done many hours of research for a couple of systems I was building
recently. The more you review the benchmarks, the more you realize that AMD
and Intel are pretty much tied, as far as performance goes. Then when you
look at total cost to build (not just CPU but you need a mainboard to
support it, obviously), the range of prices runs from pretty even to Intel
just a bit cheaper to build. My two most recent builds were with Intel P4
processors, including this P4 3.0E that I'm typing on at the moment. I'm
still working some bugs out of it, but overall it's a kick-butt system.

I don't think you can go wrong, either way. Intel and AMD both have some
really great processors on the market at good price points, so the consumer
WINS, no matter what they choose. I just am so sick and tired of reading
ignorant comments that boil down to "AMD is ALWAYS better than
el". -Dave

Old September 21st 04, 01:39 PM
JK

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/...9164010,00.htm
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=1
http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=257&p=2
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm
http://techny.com/articles.cfm?getar...&go=0.53769656
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7
http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=1
http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...X3BhZ2U9MQ= =

Old September 21st 04, 04:37 PM
Mirek Fidler

Gaming: OpenGL: The Intel chips are much faster

With all respect, this does not seem to be correct.

See this

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

Here A64 3000+ is faster than Pentium 3.4E - CPU twice as expensive.

Gaming: DX8: The AMD chips are faster, no doubt about it
Gaming: DX9: It's virtually a tie, as the AMD chips are two to three
TENTHS of a percentage point faster than Intel.

So on the gaming benchmarks, that's one win for Intel, one win for AMD

and
one tie.
GAMING OVERALL: TIED

Business Applications: Office Applications: Intel blows AMD away

Incorrect. Depends on benchmark suit. In general, streaming applications
(including image processing) work better on Intel, Excel/Word type
applications are faster on AMD. Development (compiling) is also
significantly faster on AMD.

Intel is better than AMD, at the moment. The only way AMD could

change that
would be to drop their prices by 30% or better. -Dave 9/20/04

Depends on type of applications you want to run.

Mirek

Old September 21st 04, 07:11 PM
GTS

SNIP
Who cares if the Intel chips are faster in some benchmarks? The results are
so close, but the AMD's can run 64-bit software, which the Intel's cannot.
Many are already running 64-bit software - either Linux or beta Windows64.
Why buy a chip that only supports 32bit, for the same price as one that does
32&64 well.
Also Windows XP SP2 has enhanced AV capabilities with the AMD64 chips...

Old September 21st 04, 07:21 PM
JAD

Tell me, are you just really trying to use up what time you have
before Intel releases its 64 line? Or is it you believe that Intel
won't enter the market? R&D costs a bunch, letting amd 'Take the
point' for once, is IMO, good marketing strategy( let alone the
increased practicality in waiting for 64bit software). Let them get
wounded. ! beta OS or linux....WOW!!!!! sounds like fun....?