Windows 10 and Laser printer

Old August 22nd 19, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Rene Lamontagne

Default Windows 10 and Laser printer

Windows 10 version 1903 OS build 18362.239.
Printer Okidata c5150n, driver C51200GDEA.exe
Couple days ago I sent a file to the printer but nothing happened, I
last used it a couple weeks ago and it was fine then.
Did a bunch of things such as delete and reinstall driver, tried it in
USB and network modes, nothing, no messages or warnings but found it had
disappeared from the add printers page, tried to add printer but no
luck, tried new Lan and USB cables, zilch, Ran up a Linux Mint live USB
stick and the printer works fine, Same for MX Linux.
So the printer is OK and it has to be our friendly Windows again with
their lovely update gifts , I suspect another crappy update so even
tried a new fresh install, Nope still no printer, So who has an idea on
how to proceed now?
thanks for all help and ideas.

Rene

Old August 22nd 19, 08:00 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Johnny

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 13:15:14 -0500
Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Windows 10 version 1903 OS build 18362.239.
Printer Okidata c5150n, driver C51200GDEA.exe
Couple days ago I sent a file to the printer but nothing happened, I
last used it a couple weeks ago and it was fine then.
Did a bunch of things such as delete and reinstall driver, tried it
in USB and network modes, nothing, no messages or warnings but found
it had disappeared from the add printers page, tried to add printer
but no luck, tried new Lan and USB cables, zilch, Ran up a Linux Mint
live USB stick and the printer works fine, Same for MX Linux.
So the printer is OK and it has to be our friendly Windows again with
their lovely update gifts , I suspect another crappy update so even
tried a new fresh install, Nope still no printer, So who has an idea
on how to proceed now?
thanks for all help and ideas.

Rene

Maybe Windows 10 just stopped supporting it. I think I remember you
saying it was an old printer.

I just wanted to tell you, that now you can make the scroll bars as
wide as you want them in Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Old August 22nd 19, 08:37 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Rene Lamontagne

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

[...]

Bought in June, 2007, makes it 12 years old. But was printing perfectly,
only a half dozen minor paper jams during that period. Gotta look at
Andreas suggestion re older updates.

Rene

Old August 22nd 19, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Rene Lamontagne

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

[...]

Then he should find an exclamation mark in the list of drivers for his
printer.

there is no listing for my printer in Windows, The driver I have been
using is the original OKI driver since about 2009.

Rene

Old August 22nd 19, 09:03 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Bob Eager[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Have you asked it to go online and check? I have a 1993 printer where I
have to do that.
Old August 23rd 19, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Rene Lamontagne

On 2019-08-22 2:39 p.m., Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 14:00:03 -0500, Johnny wrote:

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 13:15:14 -0500

Maybe Windows 10 just stopped supporting it. I think I remember you
saying it was an old printer.

Then he should find an exclamation mark in the list of drivers for his
printer.

there is no listing for my printer in Windows, The driver I have been
using is the original OKI driver since about 2009.

Was Windows 10 installed back in 2009? I understand that you mitigated
from an earlier Windows version to Windows 10 and the printer worked fine
for some time. But recently suddenly refused to work. Then there should
be an exclamation mark when you list your drivers.

Since you mentioned it works with Linux and you have a spare PC, install
Linux on it to be a print server Windows clients can use.

Got it worked out, after trying everything I could think of (Except
standing on my head and yodeling). :-)
I started looking through all the files in the folder where I had
installed the Oki C51200GDEA.exe driver and finally found an inf file,
on a hunch I right clicked on it and there was an *install* option, So I
clicked it and then went back to devices and printers page and there it
was,Thank all the Deities that I got it working again.
The path was Okidata c5150_5200 English gdi 32 or 64 bit
Ok7242he.inf right click install.

That was a great feeling as that printer was $700.00 when I bought it
and its been trouble free for all those years.
I don"t know exactly what caused the problem or why that fixed it, But
i do know from years back that an inf file with an install option is
always worth a try.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Rene

Old August 23rd 19, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Eric Stevens

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

[...]

I have an OKI C5600 of about that age or possibly slightly older. Its
running quite happily on Windows 10 via a network. I had a driver and
installation software and it loaded and installed quite easily.

Have you looked at
https://okiprinting-en-gb.custhelp.c...ith-windows-10
or similar?

Rene

--

Eric Stevens

There are two classes of people. Those who divide people into
two classes and those who don't. I belong to the second class.
Old August 23rd 19, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Rene Lamontagne

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

[...]

It's good to go now Eric, the driver was and always worked good good in
Windows 10 but something screwed with it somehow and made it jump the rails.

Rene

Old August 23rd 19, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Rabid Robot

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

[...]

Score one for Linux in its dedication to supporting all hardware whether
outdated or not.

Old August 23rd 19, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Eric Stevens

On 2019-08-22 2:39 p.m., Andreas Kohlbach wrote:
[...]

I don't know when I got into the the habit but over the years I have
saved an 'Inwards' folder which itself contains folders:

Acronis
Adobe
Agent 8
Agent Ransack
Apple
Arcam
Belarc Advisor
etc. ...

.... which in contain copies of all the files (and more folders) of the
software which installed the software on which I depend. For example I
have one:

Oki C5600 C5600_C5600Win7x64_ENU226_tcm3-364...

.... which installs the driver for the OKI C5600. I don't know how I
would do a complete reinstall of Windows without all this.