2 dvd drives, different regions?

Old February 17th 11, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
poachedeggs

Default 2 dvd drives, different regions?

I know with laptops I've had apparently I could change the region it
plays up to 4 times if I've understood that right. With a pc, running
Windows 7 or XP or in one case Ubuntu Linux 10.04, would it be
possible to add a second DVD drive and set it to region 1 where my
current one is region 2 (I'm in the UK)? In Device Manager I imagine?
Or will the operating system only allow one region or something like
that?

This would be great for some things I and my friend can't track down
in region 2.
Old February 17th 11, 11:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 2/17/2011 5:57 PM, poachedeggs wrote:
I know with laptops I've had apparently I could change the region it
plays up to 4 times if I've understood that right. With a pc, running
Windows 7 or XP or in one case Ubuntu Linux 10.04, would it be
possible to add a second DVD drive and set it to region 1 where my
current one is region 2 (I'm in the UK)? In Device Manager I imagine?
Or will the operating system only allow one region or something like
that?

This would be great for some things I and my friend can't track down
in region 2.

There is a lovely little free program floating about the net which will
decrypt virtually any DVD and in the process it happens to de-region it.
The program looks a bit clunky and hasn't been updated in a few years but I
know it is still out there and can recommend it for making "backups" of DVDs.
Old February 18th 11, 01:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
peter

You can set 2 DVD to different regions in one system..
and you can look for DVDshrink which can be used for backing up
those large movie DVD to a size that fits on a regular DVD and it
takes the region code out as well as the decription method.
its a free program thats a little old but it still works.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

Old February 18th 11, 01:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

poachedeggs wrote:
I know with laptops I've had apparently I could change the region it
plays up to 4 times if I've understood that right. With a pc, running
Windows 7 or XP or in one case Ubuntu Linux 10.04, would it be
possible to add a second DVD drive and set it to region 1 where my
current one is region 2 (I'm in the UK)? In Device Manager I imagine?
Or will the operating system only allow one region or something like
that?

This would be great for some things I and my friend can't track down
in region 2.

Apparently, you can get versions of firmware which are region free.
The region free one probably wasn't released by the manufacturer,
but is carefully hacked by dedicated hackers. There are people who
work on such things full time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPC1

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/rpc1.htm

There is also mention here, that Windows keeps some info about the
drive too.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/h...e_region_free/

So it can be defeated in hardware. Then you can stuff any ole media
in there you want.

The worst that could happen is, well, you could brick your drive.
So if it is worth being region free to you, on one of your drives,
then give it a bash. I've flashed firmware on my drives, but
never to do a region free hack (I don't have a movie collection).
On newer drives the flashing tools are pretty good. On older
drive, it was picky, you had to make a boot disk, or actually
plug the drive into a different port, etc, etc. One of the
forums dealing with optical drives, may have more info on
the details of the various flashing tools.

Paul
Old February 19th 11, 09:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
darklight

John McGaw wrote:

[...]

In linux you can play any region on one dvd drive from my understanding
you need libdvdcss2-1.2.9-1.i386.rpm.

another way around the problem is to get your self a video capture card and
hook up a multiregion dvd player to it. this is a better solution as this is
the solution i use. but my linux os can play dvds as well.