AM3/AM2+ question

Old October 24th 10, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
poachedeggs

Default AM3/AM2+ question

I've paid for an AMD tri-core processor today for a pc I'm building
for someone, buying a bit at a time. This is an AM3 socket
processor. I see that there are plenty of motherboards available
already with AM3 sockets, but I know that my own pc has an AM3 type
processor in an AM2+ socket with I think a BIOS update. Ideally I'd
buy the same motherboard so I can just copy the layout of mine, though
I've found the building process unmysterious enough not to be too
intimidated. Would I in this instance just flash the BIOS for its
update with the processor in, I take it? I'm assuming my pc didn't
have its BIOS flashed with a different processor in. A basic and
naive question I know but I've got about three weeks till I assemble
it and I want to just iron out my knoweldge gaps in the meantime.

Cheers.
Old October 24th 10, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Chuck

On 10/24/2010 5:08 AM, poachedeggs wrote:
I've paid for an AMD tri-core processor today for a pc I'm building
for someone, buying a bit at a time. This is an AM3 socket
processor. I see that there are plenty of motherboards available
already with AM3 sockets, but I know that my own pc has an AM3 type
processor in an AM2+ socket with I think a BIOS update. Ideally I'd
buy the same motherboard so I can just copy the layout of mine, though
I've found the building process unmysterious enough not to be too
intimidated. Would I in this instance just flash the BIOS for its
update with the processor in, I take it? I'm assuming my pc didn't
have its BIOS flashed with a different processor in. A basic and
naive question I know but I've got about three weeks till I assemble
it and I want to just iron out my knoweldge gaps in the meantime.

Cheers.

It would be a lot simpler to just identify the make and model of the
motherboard and installed BIOS version!

For instance, an Asus M4A79 Deluxe Motherboard is spec'ed for
Phenom and Phenom II X4/X3/X2, Athion X2,Athion,Sempron (Socket
AM2+/AM2, and AM3 processor versions, and uses DDR2 memory.
To complicate matters, Some of the older processors may still be
available with AM2/AM2+, or AM3 packaging.

The Opteron processor used a 940 pin socket with a different pin out
that is not compatable.

An Asus M4A89TD Motherboard is spec'd for AM3 processors only, and uses
DDR3 memory. (As a comparison)

As to flashing the BIOS, Do this only if needed. Generally, the reason
for doing this is that later versions of some processors, such as a
Phenom II X6 don't run on some earlier versions of BIOS. In this case,
you use a processor version compatible with the older BIOS version, such
as a Phenom II X2, X3, or X4, whatever will boot with the old BIOS
version, Flash the BIOS to the new version, make sure that it works with
the older processor, then shutdown completely, and install the newer
processor version.

I really prefer to use newer design motherboards that have higher speed
USB and SATA ports, and 1G Ethernet, instead of the older boards.
Old October 25th 10, 11:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
AGross

On Oct 24, 12:08*pm, poachedeggs wrote:
I've paid for an AMD tri-core processor today for a pc I'm building
for someone, buying a bit at a time. *This is an AM3 socket
processor. *I see that there are plenty of motherboards available
already with AM3 sockets, but I know that my own pc has an AM3 type
processor in an AM2+ socket with I think a BIOS update. *Ideally I'd
buy the same motherboard so I can just copy the layout of mine, though
I've found the building process unmysterious enough not to be too
intimidated. *Would I in this instance just flash the BIOS for its
update with the processor in, I take it? *I'm assuming my pc didn't
have its BIOS flashed with a different processor in. *A basic and
naive question I know but I've got about three weeks till I assemble
it and I want to just iron out my knoweldge gaps in the meantime.

Cheers.

What manufacturer and model is you motherboard ?
If you don't know, for example, if you are on windows, you can try
something like CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html)
It displays quite a lot of info, including the motherboard model.