Diagnostic tools for Quantum IDE Hard Drive?

Old October 18th 07, 08:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ian R

Default Diagnostic tools for Quantum IDE Hard Drive?

Hi

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me which are the best diagnostic tools
to check the health of a Quantum IDE hard drive.

Ive learnt that Maxtor acquired Quantum and now Seagate have acquired Maxtor
(not sure why theyd want to do that!).

Can I use a Seagate diagnostic tool or should I use a Maxtor tool? Does it
really matter?

Thanks for any info.

Ian

Old October 18th 07, 08:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Ian R wrote:

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me which are the best diagnostic
tools to check the health of a Quantum IDE hard drive.

Depends on what you want to diagnose. I prefer to use
the Everest SMART report for most hard drive diagnosis,
but you may want to exercise the drive or something.

Ive learnt that Maxtor acquired Quantum and now Seagate have acquired Maxtor

Correct.

(not sure why theyd want to do that!).

Basically to eliminate their main competition.

Can I use a Seagate diagnostic tool

Yes.

or should I use a Maxtor tool?

They arent all that satisfactory, tend to not be fully debugged properly.

Does it really matter?

Depends on what you want to do with the drive.

Old October 18th 07, 10:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Bubba

Ian R's log on stardate 18 lis 2007

Hi

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me which are the best diagnostic
tools to check the health of a Quantum IDE hard drive.

Ive learnt that Maxtor acquired Quantum and now Seagate have acquired
Maxtor (not sure why theyd want to do that!).

Can I use a Seagate diagnostic tool or should I use a Maxtor tool?
Does it really matter?

I used Matrox's on my Quantum Fireball 60GB few days ago. It preformed
adequately. Version was from Hiren's boot CD 9.2.

--
Documentation is like sex: when it's good, it's very, very good; when it's
bad, it's better than nothing.

hard drive diagnostic Nate Rosenthal Dell Computers 10 April 11th 05 03:14 PM
Creating a Dell diagnostic partition on a bare hard drive Ben Myers Dell Computers 13 March 16th 05 08:53 PM
Diagnostic tools Not Known General 7 December 17th 04 08:04 AM
HD Diagnostic Tools and an Odd One from WD W. Watson Storage (alternative) 2 December 20th 03 08:25 PM
System Diagnostic Tools for Presario 6320US? Steven Troyer Compaq Computers 2 July 24th 03 03:29 PM