Buggy Presario

Old January 8th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
henry

Default Buggy Presario

Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?

1610 Presario 80mb ram.

system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at same
time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
acceleration already set to lowest.

battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice in
batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is juice in
battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and system will shut
down in 2 min.

cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control speaker
volume on this laptop?
Old January 8th 07, 03:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
HH

An oldie. It shipped with Win 95. Have you installed the Win 98 drivers off
the HP website? specifically the touchpad driver?
IIRC, volume control is available both in Windows via the vol control and
with Fn keys.

HH

Old January 8th 07, 06:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
[email protected]

henry wrote:
Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?

1610 Presario 80mb ram.

system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at same
time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
acceleration already set to lowest.

Hardware acceleration isn't it.

battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice in
batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is juice in
battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and system will shut
down in 2 min.

Battery is just plain worn out. It's an age of system thing.

cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control speaker
volume on this laptop?

Anyway, here are a few things to try.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...520 4&lang=en

For the Keyboard/touchpad

Compaq Notebooks Synaptics Touchpad Driver

I think I'd get the 1998 version vs the 2002, for this one.

For the Keyboard/Battery:

Presario 1200/1600/1700/1800/1900 Battery Controller/KBC
Firmware Update

For the CD controls

Presario 1200/1600 Specific Models Fix for CD Controls
(DisqPlay)

For a few other things
Presario 1600 Specific Models System ROM Update

If you're stuck on dialup, you might as well get 56K

Presario Specific Models Modem Driver V.90 Upgrade

Old January 8th 07, 10:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Bob

Done right all these updates will fix your problems. BTW even though Compaq
and the manual says 80mb is max it will take 128mb ram.
Bob

wrote in message
ps.com...

Old January 10th 07, 09:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
henry

"HH" wrote in
:

drivers off the HP website? specifically the touchpad driver?

I've got them, but afraid to use them, knowing compaq.
Using ps/2 driver that came with 98se

IIRC, volume control is available both in Windows via the vol control
and with Fn keys.

Doesn't work last time I checked(might work now that I upgraded to se,
will have to try). Also talking about the cd switches up not
working-these still don't work.

HH

Old January 10th 07, 09:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
henry

wrote in
ps.com:

henry wrote:
Any help with these bugs, either causes or solutions?

1610 Presario 80mb ram.

system freezes requiring hard reboot when touchpad cursor is moved at
same time as keystroke. win98se system reports no conflicts. hardware
acceleration already set to lowest.

Hardware acceleration isn't it.

I know.

battery and system interaction very screwy. can never tell if juice
in batter and system seems to enter sleep mode even when there is
juice in battery. battery gauge makes no sense. reports 100% and
system will shut down in 2 min.

Battery is just plain worn out. It's an age of system thing.

Battery was hardly ever used, mostly kept out of machine. I think their
battery controller design is faulty.

cd controls at the top do not work; finally how do you control
speaker volume on this laptop?

Anyway, here are a few things to try.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=20
&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=e
n&product=95204&lang=en

Have you actually installed any of these on an win98se presario. Do they
even install properly and work? Frankly I don't trust compaq and I don't
trust HP.

For the Keyboard/touchpad

Compaq Notebooks Synaptics Touchpad Driver

I think I'd get the 1998 version vs the 2002, for this one.

For the Keyboard/Battery:

Presario 1200/1600/1700/1800/1900 Battery Controller/KBC
Firmware Update

For the CD controls

Presario 1200/1600 Specific Models Fix for CD Controls
(DisqPlay)

For a few other things
Presario 1600 Specific Models System ROM Update

If you're stuck on dialup, you might as well get 56K

Presario Specific Models Modem Driver V.90 Upgrade

Don't need the modem using wireless. None of the descriptions for these
various firmware upgrades state anything about the problems I've
mentioned in the OP. So why does everyone seem to think they will apply?

Old January 10th 07, 09:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
henry

"Bob" wrote in news:HLzoh.2269$Br.868@trndny08:

Done right all these updates will fix your problems. BTW even though
Compaq and the manual says 80mb is max it will take 128mb ram.
Bob

Thanks, but none of the descriptors for these various firmware upgrades
lists any of the problems I posted about as being a fix for.

Have you actually installed any of these on a win98se presario and know
first hand they install properly and work? After my experiences with
Presario I am no longer a fan of either Compaq, nor HP.

On the Ram, can you explain you managed that, since there is only one
slot for memory expansion and the manual says 80MB tops?
Old January 10th 07, 10:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

What's to be afraid of? Install the Compaq Win 98 drivers from the HP web
site. That is why they are available to download... Ben Myers

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:17:52 +0100 (CET), henry wrote:

"HH" wrote in
:

Old January 10th 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
Bob

Yes I did install all of these updates and they did work. On the RAM Compaq
states that the installed memory is not removable but it is and will take
two 64mb modules. It makes it a faster computer and more stable.
Bob

Old January 11th 07, 04:21 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.laptops
[email protected]

henry wrote:
"Bob" wrote in news:HLzoh.2269$Br.868@trndny08:

Done right all these updates will fix your problems. BTW even though
Compaq and the manual says 80mb is max it will take 128mb ram.
Bob

Thanks, but none of the descriptors for these various firmware upgrades
lists any of the problems I posted about as being a fix for.

They rarely list anything. It's really annoying.

Have you actually installed any of these on a win98se presario and know
first hand they install properly and work? After my experiences with
Presario I am no longer a fan of either Compaq, nor HP.

Not on your exact model , but on similar models, i've found out that
firmware updates very often DO resolve problems.

Since I work at a computer refurbisher and recycler, I often receive
machines that have been given up on by at least 1 technician. Therefor,
i have to look for things that are often missed. Firmware is on that
list. It can make all the difference.

You listed several separate problems, perhaps not all are solvable this
way, but the odds are good that at least one of these firmware updates
will work. And it is the least-cost solution.

Once all the updates are applied, check again to see what problems are
remaining. We can work on those.

If it's NOT just firmware, it's a hardware problem. Which means opening
up the machine, reseating the keyboard connector, diagnosing ram and
hard drive, that sort of thing. But because of the age of your machine,
getting spare parts is often too expensive to be worthwhile.