Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro or Intel D865GBFLK ?

Old March 10th 04, 03:39 PM
Piotr Makley

Default Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro or Intel D865GBFLK ?

Debug wrote:

Also, Intel makes motherboards, although I'm not sure if they
make many "consumer-oriented" boards.

Yes, they make consumer mb's and I hear they are very good.
But they are not for overclockers because they don't have
those features in their bios. If you just want a solid mb and
don't intend to OC then Intel would be a good choice.

I do NOT need to overclock. I just want stability, reliability,
flexibilty and support. I want a mobo (AMD or Intel) with this
spec:

full ATX
integrated sound
SATA
LAN.
(preferably 2+ IDE sockets but prepared to use PCI card)

I also want integrated video because I think it wii be cheaper than
buying a separate cheapo graphics card. I have come up with these
two boards and both use Pentium:

Intel D865GBFLK
Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro

Is one obviously better than the other? They both seem to use the
Intel 865G chipset.

The 30 to 40 UK pounds which a graphics card would have cost can go
towards an Intel cpu. So instead of a 2500 AMD Barton I could get
the Pentium 2400.

Is this a good balance? Am I making sensible trade-offs?