Compaq Presario new hd no cd or dvd

Old January 21st 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Presario new hd no cd or dvd

The hd that came with my prsarios is toast. I popped in my home hd with
windows xp pro on it. Everything works fine except the disk drives don't
work. Have been looking for drivers etc. with no luck. How do you get
those drives to work?

Thanks

John
Old January 21st 06, 03:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

If a second hard drive does not work, one possibility is that the motherboard is
bad. However, keep in mind that BY DESIGN, Micro$oft does not make it easy to
switch hard drives with XP from one system to another. With XP, no drivers are
required for hard drive or CD-ROM drive.

As a test, I suggest that you download a Windows 98(!) boot floppy image from
www.bootdisk.com , create the floppy, and boot the system with the floppy. Then
simply run the FDISK program. If FDISK sees the hard drive and CD-ROM drive,
then you at least know that the hardware is somewhat OK.

If the hardware seems OK, replace the hard drive, but not with another pulled
from a different system. Then reinstall Windows... Ben Myers

Old January 21st 06, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Ben Myers wrote:
If a second hard drive does not work, one possibility is that the motherboard is
bad. However, keep in mind that BY DESIGN, Micro$oft does not make it easy to
switch hard drives with XP from one system to another. With XP, no drivers are
required for hard drive or CD-ROM drive.

As a test, I suggest that you download a Windows 98(!) boot floppy image from
www.bootdisk.com , create the floppy, and boot the system with the floppy. Then
simply run the FDISK program. If FDISK sees the hard drive and CD-ROM drive,
then you at least know that the hardware is somewhat OK.

Except, fdsisk does not see CD drives, only hard disks. However, as the
floppy boots you should be able to see the CD drives get their drive
letters assigned. This would mean the drivers installed and there was
communication with the drives. (This assumes your hardware matches what
the drivers on the floppy support.)

Old January 21st 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

XP sees the drives ok... they just have the little yellow exclamation
point and it says it can't find the device drivers for both of them. It
says the driver is corrupted or missing. I think it is some sort of
Compaq/HP proprietary thing.

I think the plug&play system is screwed up too. Compaq just doesn't want
you to load a new xp system on thier computers I guess.

John

Old January 21st 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

John wrote:
XP sees the drives ok... they just have the little yellow exclamation
point and it says it can't find the device drivers for both of them. It
says the driver is corrupted or missing. I think it is some sort of
Compaq/HP proprietary thing.

I think the plug&play system is screwed up too. Compaq just doesn't want
you to load a new xp system on thier computers I guess.

John

How about describing the system so we know what you are talking about?
Old January 21st 06, 04:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

craigm wrote:

John wrote:

XP sees the drives ok... they just have the little yellow exclamation
point and it says it can't find the device drivers for both of them.
It says the driver is corrupted or missing. I think it is some sort of
Compaq/HP proprietary thing.

I think the plug&play system is screwed up too. Compaq just doesn't
want you to load a new xp system on thier computers I guess.

John

How about describing the system so we know what you are talking about?

Compaq Presario 061 PJ518AA-ABA SR1230NX NA440 0nB1411CO101KELUT00
Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. Kelut 2.02
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.11 09/02/2004

2.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

512 mb mem

ASUS CD-S480/AH [CD-ROM drive]
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S [CD-ROM drive]

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

John
Old January 21st 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

craigm wrote:
John wrote:

XP sees the drives ok... they just have the little yellow exclamation
point and it says it can't find the device drivers for both of them.
It says the driver is corrupted or missing. I think it is some sort of
Compaq/HP proprietary thing.

I think the plug&play system is screwed up too. Compaq just doesn't
want you to load a new xp system on thier computers I guess.

John

How about describing the system so we know what you are talking about?

I did a correcting re-install of xp and that fixed it. Nothing else worked.

John
Old January 21st 06, 10:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

No. A Windows 98 install floppy will see the CD- and DVD-ROM drives via a
device driver in CONFIG.SYS and MSCDEX.EXE in autoexec.bat. This provides a
conveniently quick, but imperfect check as to whether the drives can be seen or
not... Ben Myers

Old January 21st 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

No. If you moved the hard drive from one system to another, the chipsets on the
motherboard are very likely different. For example, if the disk drive came from
an AMD system and went into an Intel system, drivers for the VIA Apollo chipset
cannot be expected to work correctly with an Intel 800 or 900 series chipset.

The symptoms you've describe are EXACTLY what I would expect to see if the
motherboard chipsets were different as described above. Once again, this is
INTENTIONAL by design by Micro$oft who would rather soak you anywhere from $90
to $200 for yet another copy of Windows... Ben Myers

Old January 21st 06, 10:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Of course. See my other response for a brief explanation why... Ben Myers

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:53:47 GMT, John wrote:

craigm wrote:
John wrote:

XP sees the drives ok... they just have the little yellow exclamation
point and it says it can't find the device drivers for both of them.
It says the driver is corrupted or missing. I think it is some sort of
Compaq/HP proprietary thing.

I think the plug&play system is screwed up too. Compaq just doesn't
want you to load a new xp system on thier computers I guess.

John

How about describing the system so we know what you are talking about?

I did a correcting re-install of xp and that fixed it. Nothing else worked.

John

upgrade for compaq presario 5834 bozomedic Compaq Computers 0 December 27th 05 09:31 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 September 23rd 04 12:21 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 31st 04 02:23 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM