compaq presario cd-rom problems

Old July 17th 05, 04:12 AM
william kossack

too late

he just picked up the computer

monday he registers for fall term college....I told him to take a class
in computer repair

Ben Myers wrote:
The built-in Windows XP disk cleanup only scratches the surface.

Open up the Run dialog box and enter the command %temp% . This will open a
window for the temporary file folder allocated to the currently logged in user.
Delete all files from this folder. Delete all folders which contain the text
tmp or temp as part of the name.

Finally, download and run both Spybot and Ad-Aware. Together, they will find
most of the spyware, adware, trojans, and other crapware that infests a
computer. Make sure they are both up-to-date with current definitions before
running them.

Even a good quality name brand CD-RW drive is inexpensive. Pick from among
Sony, Hitachi LG, or Liteon, all of whom make good drives. If your local stores
don't sell these brands, I suggest buying on eBay from a seller with a good
feedback rating. That's how I keep some in stock for my own use as a service
provider. $35 tops, including shipping. If the burner does not come with
software, CDBurnerXPPro is very servicable and free... Ben Myers

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:40:21 -0600, william kossack
wrote:

The original question had to do with cd-rom problems. I used to work
for Qwest and dislike them as well but that is not the problem I'm
trying to solve.

I now have the computer in my study and I'm trying to clean it up. The
CD-ROM still does not seem to work. I have an old spare that I'm going
to try but one thing I have noticed is that the computer is really tight
on space. there is something like 6-8 gigs of free space and 33 gigs of
stuff on it. He has some downloaded video clips and probably some music
files.

One concern is that I can't seem to get much of the space back. What is
the deal? I've uninstalled a ton of compaq junk like games and even
free trial software like office with little effect. The trash is empty
and I've run disk cleanup a couple times.

I ran the free trial spy program that came on the computer which found a
couple things. I've run the virus scan also

william kossack wrote:

The CD-Rom on my sons compaq w/XP home stopped working.

He recently decided to get DSL only to discover that the CD does not
work so he can't use the disk from Qwest. We tried several things last
night but I discovered so many problems that we did a system restore.

Do we need to let everything from the internet setup complete and the
compaq desktop finish before proceeding?

Is there away of checking for other users and removing them and stuff
they installed? His sister managed somehow to get on the computer and
download and install things filling up the hard drive. He does not
remember the admin password. Is there a way of cracking the admin
password?

Old August 1st 05, 12:35 AM
Quaoar

JSG wrote:
william kossack wrote:
The CD-Rom on my sons compaq w/XP home stopped working.

He recently decided to get DSL only to discover that the CD does not
work so he can't use the disk from Qwest. We tried several things
last night but I discovered so many problems that we did a system
restore. Do we need to let everything from the internet setup
complete and the
compaq desktop finish before proceeding?

Is there away of checking for other users and removing them and stuff
they installed? His sister managed somehow to get on the computer
and download and install things filling up the hard drive. He does
not remember the admin password. Is there a way of cracking the
admin password?

I've noticed a lot of messages from people in both the public and
private newsgroups that are having horrible problems after
'installing' Qwests stuff. Stuff it is, I haven't seen much of any
resolution, but you may want to Google it to keep up.

Good Luck!

Go to www.dslreports.com and navigate to the Qwest DSL forum and faqs.
There are complete user install instructions.

Old October 30th 05, 05:18 PM
ih8au

Default compaq presario cd-rom problems

Quaoar Wrote:[color=blue]
JSG wrote:[color=blue][i]
william kossack wrote:[i]
The CD-Rom on my sons compaq w/XP home stopped working.

I have a cd combo in my relatively new presario that has just about
quit working. It sees some CD's and DVD's but not much and seems to be
getting worse. I think it might be something to do with the sync
command in windows media player but I have no idea how to undo that. I
have cleaned the optical lens and that did not help. I have also
uninstalled then reinstalled the drive, still no luck. All hardware
scans show the drive is working properly.
Any help is appreciated.

--
ih8au

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 25th 05 10:34 AM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ ** NEW INFO** HH Compaq Computers 0 May 15th 04 11:56 AM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq Presario 4540 Memory upgrade problems. John Smith Compaq Computers 1 December 18th 03 07:33 PM