Upgrading a Compaq Presario 5000 (5008US) Hard drive

Old February 2nd 06, 12:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Upgrading a Compaq Presario 5000 (5008US) Hard drive

Hey all ,

Fisrt post here. I am planning on putting a 260GB harddrive in my
tower and removing the 40GB that's in there. I just bought windowsXP
full with sp2. I've just heard some people say that my presario would
not run right with a hard drive that large.

Any ideas about this ???

Old February 3rd 06, 11:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

I have 2 40GB hard drives in the tower now and I'm going to take both
out and just put in the 260GB hard drive. The problem i'm having is I
don't know If I have to format and partition the hard drive using my
external case first before I put it in the tower to install XP HOME. I
have bought a full retail copy of XP HOME and It says i need to install
it on a formatted drive. Do you know If it will format and set up the
partitions while I'm doing the install ?

Thanks for your help m8

metronid Wrote:
I am alittle confused
You installed a 300 GIG HD

You must set it at 120GB partitions

"(PeteCresswell)" lid wrote in message
Per

:
I am planning on putting a 260GB harddrive in my
tower and removing the 40GB that's in there. I just bought windowsXP
full with sp2. I've just heard some people say that my presario would
not run right with a hard drive that large.

Any ideas about this ???

I just put a 300-gigger in my 5000.

It works, but the system will not recognize more that 130-some gigs in
given
partition.

But Windows XP and all my software needs less than 15 gigs, so I just
partitioned it so that C: had about 35 gigs and then created other
partitions of
120 or less - and the PC can recognize everything.

This is a good thing to do anyhow because it helps separate the
system
from your
data. Once your system and all apps are installed, just rip off an
image and
keep it incase the sys goes south.

One of those partitions, of course, is D: (data).... so I always know
where
everything is and can back it up easily.
--
PeteCresswell

Old February 4th 06, 04:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

The HD comes low level format from the factory
If your bios recognizes the HD which it should
XP will do the rest
It will do the formatting
The high level format Fat 32 or NTFS
depending on your input when it asks
Now the Bios probably will not see the 240GB
I could be wrong
If you see over 137GB let me know

banter.com...

Old February 4th 06, 10:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

rote:

metronid Wrote:
I am alittle confused
You installed a 300 GIG HD

You must set it at 120GB partitions

"(PeteCresswell)"
lid wrote in message
Per

:
[...]

[/quote:b9ca9e4270]

I generally use an old Windows ME emergency floppy to format my drives
in Fdisk.

Using multiple partitions is a must anyway with a drive that large.
You will have to defrag it.

If you must use the drive as a single volume, just get a PCI RAID card
or similar controller. If you plan on actually filling that drive?
Get a RAID card and buy another drive. RAID 1 it. I can't imagine
replacing that much data simply because I cheaped out.

There are only two kinds of users. Those that had have hard drive
failures, and those that haven't, yet...

Hard Disk Drive Not Found [email protected] Dell Computers 13 August 10th 05 12:03 AM
how to test psu and reset to cmos to default Tanya General 23 February 7th 05 09:56 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 17th 04 12:49 PM
Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 05:38 AM
Help With Locked Hard Drive Louis Bybee Storage (alternative) 29 November 22nd 03 03:01 PM