Front Panel Audio Connector On Motherboard

Old November 11th 16, 05:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tb

Default Front Panel Audio Connector On Motherboard

I have found an old MSI Eclipse SLI motherboard:
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Eclipse_SLI.html

I'm trying to understand if the motherboard has a connector for the
front-panel audio out jack, which I believe should be marked at JAUD1
on the motherboard.

I don't believe that the motherboard has such connector, so I guess the
only way to get sound to speakers/headset via the front-panel audio out
jack is to install and audio card.

Am I correct?
--
tb
Old November 11th 16, 06:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

tb wrote:
I have found an old MSI Eclipse SLI motherboard:
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Eclipse_SLI.html

I'm trying to understand if the motherboard has a connector for the
front-panel audio out jack, which I believe should be marked at JAUD1
on the motherboard.

I don't believe that the motherboard has such connector, so I guess the
only way to get sound to speakers/headset via the front-panel audio out
jack is to install and audio card.

Am I correct?

The box contents of the product, show a plugin
"X-Fi Xtreme Audio Card Set (Card and Driver CD)".
It appears to be a Creative card, yet is not
listed on the Creative partner page.

That means the sound circuitry is on a separate assembly.

The support web page appears to be in error, by offering
a RealTek Audio driver as well as a Creative driver. The
Creative driver is the only valid one that I can see.
There is no mention of RealTek in the MSI manual,
except for the NICs.

If you received the product without that audio card, then
obviously there cannot be any sound, and a separate
sound card of some type will be required.

The machine I'm typing on, works that way too. There
is a module with a blue LED that plugs into the
first I/O card slot. It has the six audio connectors
for the back of the computer. But on the front
of the card, available inside the computer, is
an FP_Audio header for operating a front headphone
and microphone jack.

So when you have the add-on card, that's where you'd
look for the header for front audio.

The Eclipse has JFP1 and JFP2. JFP1 has the standard
front panel wiring (two switches, two LEDs). JFP2 has
the 1x4 SPKR header pins for your buzzer/beeper on
the front of the computer case.

Someone has walked off with the soundcard, and "forgot"
it belonged with the motherboard. The motherboard does
have two PCI slots, and perhaps you can stick one of
your old sound cards in the lower slot. And work all your
audio from there.

Paul