USB bad formatting error makes it unreadable...forever

Old October 6th 20, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default USB bad formatting error makes it unreadable...forever

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix...rmatted-error/

I've read the above and similar articles and it does not work to fix my USB (which I pulled out while it was writing data and/or formatting it from FAT32 to NTFS etc etc, and in any event is dead).

I think this USB is shot. My USB ports work with other USBs. It's a 16 GB USB drive.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm taking about a USB that works one day and never works again, is not recognized by your system, is forever lost.

I think it's a not uncommon problem. I recall a cheap 1 GB drive from years ago had a similar problem, working one day, then never working again, and I trashed it.

RL
Old October 6th 20, 11:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ant[_3_]

RayLopez99 wrote:
https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix...rmatted-error/

I've read the above and similar articles and it does not work to fix my USB (which I pulled out while it was writing data and/or formatting it from FAT32 to NTFS etc etc, and in any event is dead).

I think this USB is shot. My USB ports work with other USBs. It's a 16 GB USB drive.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm taking about a USB that works one day and never works again, is not recognized by your system, is forever lost.

I think it's a not uncommon problem. I recall a cheap 1 GB drive from years ago had a similar problem, working one day, then never working again, and I trashed it.

I have had USB drives go bad instantly. My older ones like SanDisk 128 MB still works. The newer ones are craps.
Go Los Angeles _..n-"""/""--.._
(L.A.) Lakers! .n' _.-\-""("""--._`-.
H2O the ' .\' \ `. ``";.
Heat! ___/_-" | \ `. `.
===/// , ,-. .- .-; , , ,- ,L , ,_ ,-
--/// /_ |_/ _) /""|/|/ |_] /=_ /_ /=_ _)
___/// __ __ __ ______ ____ | ___
/// --/|| --// .' // "/ _// ))|(| "/
---/// /' || _//.; __//_. //_="' _\\
--///- -/---|| //'|| // ', _// ;| \\ ;
______///|__/_ _||_/ `||_//__"/ _// --|\ /-._// /
_/// | , | \ ---\\\ .'
___///_____"/ | \ /`;=__.-'
\ \ \ /
ASCII art by `. \ \ ,'
-bodom- `. \ \ ,'
Remove ANT `-._ \ \ _.-'
to e-mail if needed. `--\......--'
Old October 6th 20, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 09:24:14 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix...rmatted-error/

I've read the above and similar articles and it does not work to fix my USB (which I pulled out while it was writing data and/or formatting it from FAT32 to NTFS etc etc, and in any event is dead).

I think this USB is shot. My USB ports work with other USBs. It's a 16 GB USB drive.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm taking about a USB that works one day and never works again, is not recognized by your system, is forever lost.

I think it's a not uncommon problem. I recall a cheap 1 GB drive from years ago had a similar problem, working one day, then never working again, and I trashed it.

Only with micro-sdram in a USB converter. I was able to format it
from a handheld (Android or similar) after rendering it unrecognizable
on a computer. I had to buy a newer USB converter which then did
reformat the 64G micro-SDRAM card from a PC computer. Might give your
flashstick a try on a handheld's USB port, to check to see if it will
format from the handheld's firmware.
Old October 7th 20, 11:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/fix...rmatted-error/

I've read the above and similar articles and it does not work to fix my USB (which I pulled out while it was writing data and/or formatting it from FAT32 to NTFS etc etc, and in any event is dead).

I think this USB is shot. My USB ports work with other USBs. It's a 16 GB USB drive.

Has anybody had a similar experience? I'm taking about a USB that works one day and never works again, is not recognized by your system, is forever lost.

I think it's a not uncommon problem. I recall a cheap 1 GB drive from years ago had a similar problem, working one day, then never working again, and I trashed it.

Try writing an image to it using rufus Here's a tiny image to
try:

https://www.freedos.org/download/

Not sure if that ISO will accept dd mode, but try any one
that's offered.
..
That's saved some pendrives windows said didn't exist. And
suddenly they did again.
Pendrives are luck, I have some very old ones that still work
fine, and some new Kingston/Sandisk that went poof. And vice versa.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Maxtor ext hd error--corrupted or unreadable heyman07 Storage (alternative) 0 January 20th 08 03:38 PM
error when formatting - invalid media reading drive C [email protected] Storage (alternative) 5 May 5th 05 07:35 PM
incd formatting error Birderman Cdr 1 March 29th 05 11:06 PM
InCD error: Formatting DVD+RW 4.7GB discs Lira Taylor Cdr 0 September 23rd 04 07:19 PM
Error formatting drive - General 3 September 5th 03 02:12 PM