Tutorial: How to update a driver that Windows just doesn't want to update

Old October 6th 20, 03:55 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Arlen Holder

Default Tutorial: How to update a driver that Windows just doesn't want to update

UPDATE: (I changed the Nvidia drivers - and got a BSOD soon thereafter)
o https://i.postimg.cc/1RGDjbGV/driver23.jpg Penultimate update version
o https://i.postimg.cc/zffNRLNS/bsod201.jpg BSOD Registry Error
o https://i.postimg.cc/QxqG78PJ/driver24.jpg Dumo reports another version
o https://i.postimg.cc/XYb7X7XQ/bsod202.jpg Corrupt Windows Memory.dmp
o https://i.postimg.cc/3xFrG5v7/bsod203.jpg 6:10am Registry Error
o https://i.postimg.cc/hGCSCLs5/bsod204.jpg 3:12am SearchApp RPC failed

Yesterday I wiped out all Nvidia drivers
o https://i.postimg.cc/fbzFCtVk/driver19.jpg
And then, I rebooted to let Windows update all the Nvidia drivers itself:
o https://i.postimg.cc/QCTnCcyY/driver22.jpg
I then updated just the Nvidia sound drivers to the penultimate version.
o https://i.postimg.cc/1RGDjbGV/driver23.jpg
Which was the best I could do, despite Dumo saying there's a later version:
o https://i.postimg.cc/QxqG78PJ/driver24.jpg

This is what Windows updated the drivers to when I deleted them & rebooted:
o Display adapters NVIDIA GeForce 210
Driver Version: 21.21.13.4201 Driver Date: 11/14/2016
o Sound, video and game controllers NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver Version: 1.3.30.1 Driver Date: 11/14/2016

This is what I manually updated the Nvidia drivers to late last night:
https://i.postimg.cc/1RGDjbGV/driver23.jpg
o Display adapters NVIDIA GeForce 210
Driver Version: 21.21.13.4201 Driver Date: 11/14/2016
o Sound, video and game controllers NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver Version: 1.3.38.34 Driver Date: 11/14/2016
Note: That is one less than the latest Dumo reports (1.3.38.35)
o https://i.postimg.cc/QxqG78PJ/driver24.jpg

After multiple reboots, all was well until this morning's BSOD.
o Which may or may not be related

Today I got a brand new BSOD, with concomitant inability to boot.
o Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart.
We're just collecting some error info, and then you can restart.
0% complete, REGISTRY ERROR
o https://i.postimg.cc/zffNRLNS/bsod201.jpg

The first thing after the 6am BSOD was I ran "WhoCrashed"
o But it reported, strangely, that the memory dump was corrupted
https://i.postimg.cc/XYb7X7XQ/bsod202.jpg

The second thing I did after the BSOD was run "BlueScreenView"
o Which specifically didn't implicate any drivers
https://i.postimg.cc/3xFrG5v7/bsod203.jpg

The third thing I did was to check the appcrash logs in "AppCrashView"
o But it only reported an older 3am RPC failure from 3 hours prior
https://i.postimg.cc/hGCSCLs5/bsod204.jpg

In summary...

I'm getting better at BSOD aftermath control, where I can at least get back
to the operating system afterward, particularly as I'm noticing perhaps a
correlation with the "0% complete" (versus 100% complete) with the need to
reseat the memory sticks before the machine will recover after the BSOD.

Here's a quick summary of what happened:
a. Who knows if it's related but I updated the Nvidia drivers last night
b. At 3am, while I was sleeping, a MS app crashed with a RPC error
c. At 5am, I used the machine for about an hour oblivious to any issues
d. At 5:30am, the display locked up (frozen mouse & keboard)
e. But the machine rebooted fine thereafter
f. At 6am the machine BSOD crashed with a Registry Error
g. The machine took multiple reboots since it wouldn't recover
h. What made it recover, again, was reseating the memory
i. This time, I removed all four sticks & put only one in (4GB)
j. As before, the machine booted after messing with the memory cards
k. Nonetheless, the memory.dmp was corrupted (this is new to me)
l. And there were no other app crash logs to be found (this is normal)
--
Bear in mind the memory has tested good with Memtest84 v4 (for BIOS).
Old November 4th 20, 06:56 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Arlen Holder

See also this reference that Paul needed to get his driver updated:
o My Realtek HD Audio Driver Won't Install
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/my-realtek-hd-audio-driver-wont-install

Which Paul referenced in this thread today (for cross reference).
o Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONE of the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/fXrtth_A1xg