New PC hangs for no apparent reason

Old October 20th 03, 03:54 PM
Prizm

Default New PC hangs for no apparent reason

I just upgraded my mb/processor/RAM and everything has been working great
except on the odd occasion WinXP will simply hang and I have to reset the
PC. It just hangs on the spot - no error msg, just frozen.

P4-2.4GHz
2x256MB Kingston RAM running at dual channel
Gigabyte GA-8IK1100 m/b, with hyper-threading enabled.
PCI GF2-MX

My case is relatively new, and has a fan for cooling the inside. Could this
be a heat issue? I have two hard disks, one on top of the other inside the
case (this is the only way the case allows) - is this detrimental to my hard
disks?

Thanks for any feedback,
Prizm

Old October 20th 03, 04:23 PM
Grinner

"Prizm" wrote in message
. au...
I just upgraded my mb/processor/RAM and everything has been working great
except on the odd occasion WinXP will simply hang and I have to reset the
PC. It just hangs on the spot - no error msg, just frozen.

Hey Prizm.

I had a similiar problem with my computer and it turned out to be that the
PSU had gone bad. I bought a new 450Watt PSU and now my computer works like
a charm. Not sure if this would solve your problem but its what solved
mine.

Old October 20th 03, 06:08 PM
Carl Buckley

I would agree it sounds like it could be the PSU that is causing the
problem. Make sure the case you have has a PSU that supports P4 CPUs/Boards
and I would recommend a Wattage of 300+. The problem you are having is same
as when P4s first came out and the company I work for were trying them with
standard 250w power supplies and they work but just lock up after a while.

Hope This Helps

Carl.

. au...

Old October 21st 03, 01:06 AM
Prizm

Thanks for the input guys - it is a pretty new case, I would've thought the
power supply would've been fine. It's a 300W power supply. It's a bummer if
it's shot already.

Prizm

Old October 21st 03, 01:19 AM
Muttly

I had the same problem when I first got my P4 board. My power supply was
300w and it died a few days after the board went in. I've got a 550w unit
now and I've never seen my computer run so smothly!

. au...

Old October 21st 03, 11:11 AM
Prizm

"Muttly" wrote in message
I had the same problem when I first got my P4 board. My power supply was
300w and it died a few days after the board went in. I've got a 550w unit
now and I've never seen my computer run so smothly!

Are you guys serious? My 300W PSU isn't enough for a P4? Man...that's why
got the new case, because I though 300W would be sufficient Time to go
shopping I guess...

Prizm

Old October 21st 03, 12:55 PM
kony

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:11:06 +0800, "Prizm" wrote:

"Muttly" wrote in message
I had the same problem when I first got my P4 board. My power supply was
300w and it died a few days after the board went in. I've got a 550w unit
now and I've never seen my computer run so smothly!

Are you guys serious? My 300W PSU isn't enough for a P4? Man...that's why
got the new case, because I though 300W would be sufficient Time to go
shopping I guess...

Prizm

Wattage rating is often inaccurate, it depends on the specific
make/model power supply, and the load (system) on it.

A generic 300W is almost never good enough for a modern system, while
the better name-brand 300W models are fine for a basic, typical
system, though adding a high-end video card can make a difference too,
even the better name-brands often make multiple quality-grades in
these lower-wattage, 300W models often included with cases.

Dave
Old October 21st 03, 06:05 PM
Carl Buckley

300Watt is perfectly fine for a P4 System. I have my 300Watt running a DVDRW
drive 3 Hard Drives On IDE And Then 2 More On IDE RAID, all done using many
various splitters. I also have a lot of fans (about 10 varying in size). The
make isnt a good one either its by UANKE and it is pronounced Wankee but its
done good for me.

I am going to be upgrading my PSU to a nice 500W+ though as im affraid that
i may be having too much load on a PSU that is now 4 years old.

Old October 21st 03, 07:05 PM
William H. Pridgen

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:06:47 +0800, "Prizm" wrote:

Thanks for the input guys - it is a pretty new case, I would've thought the
power supply would've been fine. It's a 300W power supply. It's a bummer if
it's shot already.

It may not be that the power supply is shot already. Most cases come
with a power supply, but case and power supply together cost about as
much as a decent power supply by itself. I'm sure you see where I'm
going. When I buy a case, I immediately replace the power supply. I have
used Antec, Sparkle, and PC Power and Cooling, and been pleased with the
results.
--
All views expressed above are my own. Nobody else would claim them!

Radeon 9600 hangs? Mika Peura General 1 October 1st 03 09:47 PM
Problem - I've gained 2 new drives in 'My Computer' for no reason Jacko General 4 September 28th 03 07:31 PM
Adding CDR-W - - - System Hangs Robert Spike General 4 September 26th 03 03:15 AM
Random hangs on KT133 and KT333 with raid kony General 5 September 15th 03 09:46 AM
monitor, turned off after 5 idle minutes, hangs jona General 1 July 16th 03 07:56 PM