A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » Homebuilt PC's
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Apparent PSU problem

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 19th 20, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Apparent PSU problem

I have an older extra PC (ASUS H97M Plus motherboard - i3-4150 CPU - 12GB Kingston
HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM) that I use for Windows 10 Insider Preview beta builds. It has
a PS/2 keyboard that I've been using to start the system (CTRL+ESC). That start
method stopped working a couple of weeks ago and I had to resort to the start button.
That started failing and now won't start at all. I connected the power supply to a
tester that showed all power levels OK, but the PG indicator was dim and blinking off
occasionally. That was sufficient to cause me to order another PSU (Thermaltake TR2
430W since I'm using onboard graphics and don't have to power a GPU). The old one in
the system is an Antec TRU 430 that has to be at least 14 or 15 years old. Is there
anything else I should have checked before deciding the PSU was the culprit? Other
than the recent start problems, everything else has been working well as usual.

Larc