Windows stripping & performance

Old March 31st 09, 11:43 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rob Nicholson[_4_]

Default Windows stripping & performance

Our software developers are starting to use VMware workstation as a matter
of course to run various development environments at the same time. Our
current standard of 32 bit Windows XP limits us to 3GB of memory so we're
considering switching to 64 bit Vista with 6GB memory.

At the same time, we are thinking about everything we can do to improve
performance and as VMware Workstation does (by default) a fair amount of
disk swapping, I wondered if it would be a good idea to specify the new PCs
with two SATA drives and use Windows's native stripping.

Does that make sense?

Appreciate all the caveats about dangers of stripping but all the data used
is on the network and backed up inc. the VMs themselves so loosing the disk
system due to hardware failure isn't too worrying.

Cheers, Rob.

Old March 31st 09, 09:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message "Rob Nicholson"
was claimed to have wrote:

Our software developers are starting to use VMware workstation as a matter
of course to run various development environments at the same time. Our
current standard of 32 bit Windows XP limits us to 3GB of memory so we're
considering switching to 64 bit Vista with 6GB memory.

Depending on how many virtual machines you're running at once, and what
else is on the machine, 3GB is possibly acceptable, but more memory
always helps.

I'm running Vista x64 with 6GB and very comfortably run 4-6 VMs at once
for development and QA work.

At the same time, we are thinking about everything we can do to improve
performance and as VMware Workstation does (by default) a fair amount of
disk swapping, I wondered if it would be a good idea to specify the new PCs
with two SATA drives and use Windows's native stripping.

Does that make sense?

Appreciate all the caveats about dangers of stripping but all the data used
is on the network and backed up inc. the VMs themselves so loosing the disk
system due to hardware failure isn't too worrying.

Stripping won't help nearly as much as installing multiple drives and
limiting the number of VMs that use a drive at once.

Assuming that the users are running regular applications and/or
development tools from the primary hardware, you'll probably see better
performance with the second drive dedicated to VMWare.

Stripping Page File across Multiple Hard drives [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 0 January 15th 08 09:35 PM
Stripping and sending email w/ attachhments Jim Bell Overclocking AMD Processors 2 December 12th 05 04:52 AM
Stripping and sending email w/ attachhments Jim Bell AMD Thunderbird Processors 2 December 12th 05 04:52 AM
Stripping Phaser 7980 GGERZ Printers 2 June 30th 04 09:34 AM
Overclocking stripping AVI data on download? Saddles Overclocking 0 December 26th 03 02:00 PM