Seeking fire-sensing hardware.

Old March 24th 15, 02:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

Default Seeking fire-sensing hardware.

My factory is large and complicated and costs a lot to insure against
fire. I need to install fire detectors with the ultimate aim for them
to send a signal to my smart phone (when I get one). I am always in
town and I travel rarely. I need the sensors to be able to identify
themselves on the smart phone. Possibly WiFi with the Internet might
work? Where does one buy such sensors? Peter
Old March 24th 15, 03:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
micky

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:01:40 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

My factory is large and complicated and costs a lot to insure against
fire. I need to install fire detectors with the ultimate aim for them
to send a signal to my smart phone (when I get one). I am always in
town and I travel rarely. I need the sensors to be able to identify
themselves on the smart phone. Possibly WiFi with the Internet might
work? Where does one buy such sensors? Peter

A burglar alarm store.
Old March 24th 15, 08:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

micky wrote:
On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:01:40 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

My factory is large and complicated and costs a lot to insure against
fire. I need to install fire detectors with the ultimate aim for them
to send a signal to my smart phone (when I get one). I am always in
town and I travel rarely. I need the sensors to be able to identify
themselves on the smart phone. Possibly WiFi with the Internet might
work? Where does one buy such sensors? Peter

A burglar alarm store.

And a professional installation, if it is also
going to be connected to the Fire Department. There
are hefty fines for too many false alarms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_detector

Optical detector:

LED, a lens, and a photoelectric receiver (typically a photodiode)

Ionization:

Uses a radioisotope such as americium-241
A difference in current flow, due to smoke
is detected and an alarm is generated.

Ionization detectors are more sensitive to the flaming stage of
fires than optical detectors, while optical detectors are more
sensitive to fires in the early smouldering stage.

Americium-241 detectors have a limited life. The radioisotope
decays, and after maybe ten years, is too weak to support
the ionizing current, and the alarm will "nuisance trip",
like when you're taking a shower.

If you attempt to use other methods, like maybe a PIR
detector (used for motion detection), then you're likely
to get more nuisance alarms. You want methods and installations
that aren't going to trip all the time. If your "factory"
produces noxious fumes, sometimes that will set off a
detector. So you have to make sure the detector
isn't going to have a problem with any chemicals
you're using in the process.

Ionization detectors have largely disappeared at retail,
but I bet a professional installer can still get them.

Just as there are burglar companies, there are also
fire alarm companies. There's always someone to help
you, for some $$$.

The sensor itself is not likely to be connected to the
Internet. You're more likely to end up with some
giant "panel", and then it's a matter of some of
the output options including ways to alert you
personally.

Paul
Old March 25th 15, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Peter Jason

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 04:08:47 -0400, Paul wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul. I'll enlist the help of mY CCTV people who installed my
2-IP camera system that is now working, and perhaps have a seperate
camera looking at a board activated with LEDs each activated with a
WiFi smoke alarm.
Old March 25th 15, 11:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bob[_35_]

"Peter Jason" wrote in message

My factory is large and complicated and costs a lot to insure against
fire. I need to install fire detectors with the ultimate aim for them
to send a signal to my smart phone (when I get one). I am always in
town and I travel rarely. I need the sensors to be able to identify
themselves on the smart phone. Possibly WiFi with the Internet might
work? Where does one buy such sensors? Peter

Peter,

Not exactly what you're looking for - fire detector - but I've just recently
configured six Honeywell wireless thermometers that have sensors to detect
excessive heat. The clients can check all the settings, alarm conditions
and set all the parameters via a phone app, internet or WiFi.

They also make wireless smoke detectors but I have no experience with those
units. The thermometers were easy enough to setup and function well.

http://www.security.honeywell.com/hs...moke-detector/

Bob S.

Old March 29th 15, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
micky

On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 13:01:40 +1100, Peter Jason wrote:

My factory is large and complicated and costs a lot to insure against
fire.

So you have no fire insurance? Or plan to cancel it? Or you'll get a
discount if you have fire detectors?

I need to install fire detectors with the ultimate aim for them
to send a signal to my smart phone (when I get one). I am always in

I guess what I don't understand is why you don't hire a security company
or at least a monitoring company to monitor your fire detectors. They
already have smart phones.

town and I travel rarely.

And they travel less than you do. Will your cell phone wake you up
when you're sleeping at night? Will you hear it when you're in the
shower? When you're out in the yard?