boot device not found please insert boot media or select correct bootdevice

Old June 13th 08, 02:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timO'

Default boot device not found please insert boot media or select correct bootdevice

P5WD2E- PREMIUM with two WD SATA hdd
XP pro sp2
i got this message one day as I tried to boot.
i had left the mobo Cd in the drive the previous evening, and didn't
sit by the PC after I booted.
So maybe something autoran.
Anyway I removed the Cd and attempted to reboot without success.
The next day I booted with an MS-DOS BIOS floppy I made after first
commissioning the PC.
It went through the entire process but still no boot.
The next day I used the XP System CD to run the Recovery Console, but
it finally haulted and reported that no boot disk was found.
The next day I went into BIOS during POST and saw that it looked like
there were no IDE devices detected.
I saved changes (although I hadn't made any) Exited, and the system
started up fine.
I had inspected the harnesses inside the computer while the system was
down, but everything appeared intact. I did not measure any of the
voltages off the PSU.

I am wondering if I need to follow up on this issue and consider
replacing the PSU or the c Drive
did the system log the failures and perhaps point to what caused them?
thanks
Old June 13th 08, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
William

"timO'" wrote in message
[...]

TimO:

It sounds like your boot sequence was corrupted and reset after your saved
settings.

Though I can not speak to this specific problem, I can attest to problems on
my BIOS that acted similar to yours. While I was running my mobo for the
first time, I lost all video from my GPU after about my 5th boot up in Win
XP SP2c. I even tried a new gpu with no change in the system. Out of
desperation I removed the battery for the BIOS, left the unit alone for 5
minutes and tried it again. Fortunately the video came back and I was in
business.

Later that week I went to ASUS' news group for my mobo and fount the same
problem had been reported before. (Wish I had known that before hand!)

Apparently sometimes some of the BIOS code can become corrupted and stop
functioning. Sometimes saving settings will correct the problem, sometimes
removal of the battery and forcing a clean bios does the trick. Sometimes
the BIOS has to go back to the factory for a reprogramming.

Be happy, it works. If you want to know more, I would suggest visiting news
groups that deal with your mobo. I am sure ASUS has such groups for you to
see. Their should be more on the Internet, perhaps a search on Yahoo will
give you more than you care to look at.

William

Old June 14th 08, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin[_4_]

"timO'" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't worry about it unless it keeps happening and then I would suspect
a MB issue. It appears your boot order had changed somehow or the bios
needed to redetect your devices.

Ed

Old June 14th 08, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timO'

On Jun 14, 8:05 am, "Ed Medlin" ed@ edmedlin.com wrote:
"timO'" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the info.Someone had suggested the boot 'sector', but not
the boot 'sequence'.
the system had been running perfectly for over a year so I'll wait and
see what happens.
I am unaware of a ASUS P5WD2E-PREMIUM user group, but this here group
and the Google XP one are pretty useful.
Thanks again for the feedback
Old June 14th 08, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timO'

"timO'" wrote in message

[...]

Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
step through them?
Old June 15th 08, 05:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin[_4_]

Oh Yeah..Is there a log of the failed boot sequence somewhere in the
PC? When BIOS is loading, the American Megatrends logo appears, and
the steps are shown on the screen as they are executed. but when I was
getting that boot error, there were messages that flew by too quickly
to read, then the final error page appeared and the sequence halted.
the question is: how can I slow the steps down or allow me to manually
step through them?

Not if it is happening at the bios level. There should be a setting
somewhere in the 'Boot' section of the bios to turn off "Full Screen Logo"
or something to that effect. That will turn off the AM logo and you can see
more of the details of the bios detection of hardware etc. Most folks want
to speed that up......:-).... It is good to at least see that all your
drives are being detected and all that. All the logo does is hide the bios
post for a few seconds.

Ed

Old June 16th 08, 01:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
timO'

On Jun 15, 12:07 pm, "Ed Medlin" ed@ edmedlin.com wrote:
[...]

the American Megatrends Logo is not full screen, it is a the top of
the page and all the info shows; only after it reaches a certain point
in the process it scrolls through very fast.
there is a mobo option where the ASUS splash is full screen, but I do
not use that option.