Controlling the CPU heat generation - Intel Core 2 Duo on a laptop

Old June 12th 07, 08:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
christian

Default Controlling the CPU heat generation - Intel Core 2 Duo on a laptop

Hi everyone,

I have got myself a brand new laptop with the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
CPU, which is great. It has one problem though; it becomes very hot
when there's a lot of CPU usage (and when it has first gotten hot,
there's no way back, it seems). This only happens when the AC power
plug is plugged in, and I suspect this is because the CPU is designed
not to go to its maximum level when only relying on battery power
(which is good).

What I would like to do is to have some degree of control over how hot
the CPU will get, so that the CPU fan won't make so much noise, and so
that my wrists won't get burnt lying on the notebook while typing text
(as they are right now). I guess the solution would be something like
setting a maximum frequency/voltage or similar - to mimic the way it
behaves when it's just on battery power.
It's not a feasible solution for me to just take the AC plug out,
because I'm usually using the computer for hours at a time.

Can anyone tell me if this is in any way possible? What software or
drivers would I need?

Best regards,

Christian

Old June 12th 07, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:22:47 -0000, christian
wrote:

Hi everyone,

I have got myself a brand new laptop with the Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz
CPU, which is great. It has one problem though; it becomes very hot
when there's a lot of CPU usage (and when it has first gotten hot,
there's no way back, it seems). This only happens when the AC power
plug is plugged in, and I suspect this is because the CPU is designed
not to go to its maximum level when only relying on battery power
(which is good).

No that depends on your power profile settings, a feature in
your bios or software running in windows.

What I would like to do is to have some degree of control over how hot
the CPU will get, so that the CPU fan won't make so much noise, and so
that my wrists won't get burnt lying on the notebook while typing text
(as they are right now).

Impossible, you want two opposing things - for it to
simultaneously make less noise than the inherant design
causes, and also be cooler than if the fan weren't running
at same high RPM.

Well, there IS one obvious alternative, use the included
power profile software to choose a lower performance, lower
CPU speed.

I guess the solution would be something like
setting a maximum frequency/voltage or similar - to mimic the way it
behaves when it's just on battery power.

Use the included softare, it isolates the user from these
choices and uses all possible, available power saving
options. If you can't find this utility, look again on the
notebook and if no luck, look on notebook manufacturer's
website as it is a standard notebook *feature* to have this.

It's not a feasible solution for me to just take the AC plug out,
because I'm usually using the computer for hours at a time.

Can anyone tell me if this is in any way possible? What software or
drivers would I need?

You didn't mention your actual hardware beyond a family of
CPU, which is a bit insane in a hardware newsgroup. We deal
in specifics, every last detail.

Old June 12th 07, 10:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
christian

wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much for your answers - I think this is exactly the
advice I needed.
I'll try to remember to give a more specific hardware list next time.

Best regards,

Christian