Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz locked at 1.4 GHz bothcores ?!?

Old August 2nd 20, 01:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz locked at 1.4 GHz bothcores ?!?

This toshiba laptop which I got from my mother:

Toshiba laptop L670 1JQ core i5 M480 2.67 GHz

WILL NOT GO ANY FASTER THEN 1.4 GHz both cores ?! WTF ?!

Hyper threading is on, there are 4 CPU "cores" visible in task manager.

YESTERDAY WAS A HOT DAY, SAW TEMPERATURES OF CPU GO TO 93 celcius, GPU 83 celcius.

Today is much COOLER only 24 degrees instead of 28 or 38 degree celcius.

HAVE DOORS OPEN and windows open and 3 FANS blowing for godssakes.

NO DUST in inlet.

HALF TOILET ROLLS under laptop to keep it a couple of centimeters OFF THE TABLE.

airflow optimal for laptop doesn't get any better.

Peaked through grid no dust or cloth visible, there was some in the past but whiped it off, seems clean... haven't opened it yet.

cpuid hwmonitor shows only 65 degree celcius both core temperatures yet the CPU clock stays at 1.4 GHz ?!?

AMD MOBILITY Radeon HD 5000 series.

World of Warships is running in background... in port...

Multiple firefox tabs open....

Power settings/performance settings are set to "performance" / 100% in windows.

In principle game runs fine... BUT THE CORE CLOCKS ARE LOCKED AT 1.4 GHz ?!?!?!?!?

This laptop is advertised as 2.67 GHz ?!?!?! So what the **** is going on ?!

I can barely play predator hounting grounds on this system... vary laggy/stuttery.... the LOW GHz per core may have something to do with it ?!

What could be causing this weird 1.4 GHz locking ?!?!?

I tried google it, one thread found so far some are mentioned:

1. Maybe some kind of toshiba app that is causing this. Though I tried to get rid of most bloat ware by disabling services.

2. Speedstep in bios settings ?!? I don't know yet what this is ?! Maybe bios settings are limited ?!?

Speculation:

3. Bug in windows ?

4. Bug in processor ?

5. Enabling Hyperthreading reduces clocks in half ?????

6. Thermal throttling of CPU ?

Let me know your thoughts for now I feel cheated.

Yes the laptop was super slow when I saw it at mother's place cause of all the bloatware and security software like KPN beveiliging which suck ass.

Now it runs pretty good, but there is more to be had ?!?

In theory this laptop should be performing TWICE AS FAST ?!?!?

So a BIG WHAT THE ****ING IS GOING ON ?!

7. INTEL SCAMMING/CONNING PEOPLE ?!?

It is advertised as 2.67 GHz on tweakers.net for example.

No where does it mention base clock of 1.4 GHz.

No where does it mention turbo boosts or anything like that.

If I am wrong and it does advertise it like that somewhere please provide link ?!

8. Was this a known scandel perhaps ? Laptop is from 2012.

I'd love to hear from you what you think is going on with this LOCKING of GIGAHERTZ to 1.4 ?!?!

(One more strange thing I noticed, Quake 3 Arena does not run, says opengl subsystem failed or something like that I did mess with the radeon driver version number to try and get star wars battlefront 2 running, other games do start and run... so this is something strange... but maybe not related to the locking of the Gigahertz. My own corona game that uses opengl 3.0 runs fine it does need admin rights though)

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

P.S.: When a CPU is locked like this it hits/slows/influences EVERYTHING so I am posting this to a bunch of newsgroups ! :P
Old August 2nd 20, 02:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:
[...]

Check for crap software.

This is an example of something Toshiba provides, for pinning the CPU.

http://web1.toshiba.ca/support/isg/t...ocid=TSB001051

*******

Plug in the power adapter, and re-check the clock rate.
Just in case the on-battery profile is responsible.

*******

Now, what I've had trouble with before on Intel, was attempting
to set Windows to the High Performance mode, and still not
getting max_clock. I had to go into the BIOS and I think I
disabled EIST as well as some of the C-states (C1E,C3,C6). Then, on the next
boot, it worked properly. (On a laptop, these settings are
not likely to be exposed, and they're more of a desktop PC setting.)

So yeah, you still have plenty of options :-)

And it's still possible for Thermal issues to do that to it. Throttle it.

because that's the easiest one to fix.

*******

"World of Warships is running in background" === burns GPU power ? Heats up CPU ???

One game at a time, is plenty. Zero games burns less power.

In Windows 10, the Task Manager has "GPU Monitor", as long
as a modern enough WDDM driver is used. One of the WDDM driver
editions (on both NVidia and AMD) introduces GPU monitoring
in Task Manager.

OpenGL is available, as long as some other thing didn't grab it first.

Use this tool, to verify the subsystems at the bottom are "ticked".
That's part of verifying the driver is working.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

Paul
Old August 2nd 20, 02:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Check for crap software.

Not much left running. I am starting to worry that maybe this laptop needs special toshiba drivers. I already downloaded them on my PC some time ago, from the looks of it it doesn't seem to be anything special I did come across some website that talks about power management for toshiba laptops... so this is left open as an option/possibly cause.

This is an example of something Toshiba provides, for pinning the CPU.

http://web1.toshiba.ca/support/isg/t...ocid=TSB001051

Question is can laptop function at 2.67 ghz without toshiba software ?

I checked bios settings, only two interesting ones, not many options in total

dynamic cpu/power: switch / low (something like that)
intel turbo boost: enabled / disabled.

Plug in the power adapter, and re-check the clock rate.
Just in case the on-battery profile is responsible.

It's on wall power for months now, hw monitor shows battery wear is 60%.

And it's still possible for Thermal issues to do that to it. Throttle it.

Not a single spike to 2.67 GHz ?! So doesn't seem to be throttling ?

because that's the easiest one to fix.

It's old 2012 toshiba don't really support it I think... but there is some driver website...

This laptop is also not capable of booting into sparky linux OS 64 bit for some reason (usb stick) Quite strange.

Booting into usb stick with windows 7 does work but I aborted it, don't want windows 7 usb stick version to start installing laptop crap.

"World of Warships is running in background" === burns GPU power ? Heats up CPU ???

One game at a time, is plenty. Zero games burns less power.

Was going to play it but first I want to solve this mystery... it does show that CPU does not go beyond 1.4 GHz for this game it should though apperently game doesn't take much cpu in port but still with web browser running at same time should be enough to go beyond 1.4 ghz but it doesnt.

In Windows 10, the Task Manager has "GPU Monitor", as long
as a modern enough WDDM driver is used. One of the WDDM driver
editions (on both NVidia and AMD) introduces GPU monitoring
in Task Manager.

Windows 7 is running on this laptop. I might try windows 10 on sub stick to see if that might fix anything or maybe go back to windows 7 on usb stick to see if that changes anything or a different linux version.

For now I will continue trouble shooting on windows 7 on laptop harddisk, getting that fixed would be nice, usb is only 2.0 so it's slow.

OpenGL is available, as long as some other thing didn't grab it first.

Quake 3 Arena did not run when laptop started with no other games running, so this opengl failure is a mystery, maybe something as special as version number related.

Use this tool, to verify the subsystems at the bottom are "ticked".
That's part of verifying the driver is working.

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

I may try this later thanks.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old August 2nd 20, 02:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

It could be that this is a bug in CPUID HWMonitor Tool.

It reports 1.4 GHz

While throttle stop seems to report 2580 MHz.

It also reports

20x133 MHz

which would be: 2660 MHz

I am not sure if this megahertz is supposed to be total ammount of megahertz or per core.

I would assume this is per core.

So total ammount of megahertz should be at least double that ?!

CONFUSION ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 4th 20, 01:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Confirmed by me.

Bug is with CPUID HWMonitor software.

It is reporting the CPU frequency/clock rate wrongly.

I investigated this with other software and my own threadtester, which shows the laptop does perform double and even quadraple the ammount of work as it should and it does spike up to even 2.9 GHz boost clock according to cpu-z for example.

Bye,
Skybuck.