A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » General Hardware & Peripherals » General
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

WD Black

Old June 27th 20, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Philo565
external usenet poster

Default WD Black

Neither of the drives were thumping...it was just constant activity ...as one would hear when the OS would start to load.

Overall performance was not too bad though. Were it not for the constant thrashing I might not have even noticed .
Old July 5th 20, 07:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]
external usenet poster

Default WD Black

On 27/06/2020 1:18 pm, Paul wrote:
snip
A second, mostly unused mechanism, is the fifteen pin power cable,
one of the pins has a secondary function. It can drive a LED (pull
to ground), when the *disk* feels that a significant command
has been run. This may be wired on servers, but I've never
seen a desktop that uses this.

I have some quick change SATA hot-swap 'caddies' that fit in a 5 1/4 bay that have individual LEDs
for drive activity that use that pin. I used to have four of them in one machine but now have
three on a shelf and one in this machine.

--
Shaun.

"Humans will have advanced a long, long way when religious belief has a cozy little classification
in the DSM"
David Melville

This is not an email and hasn't been checked for viruses by any half-arsed self-promoting software.