Mainboard on i440BX chipset by IBM PC 300PL 6862-80U: (CPU/BIOS problem)

Old July 25th 03, 10:38 PM
YevgeniyPro

Default Mainboard on i440BX chipset by IBM PC 300PL 6862-80U: (CPU/BIOS problem)

CPU doesn't work properly after I flashed BIOS for mainboard on i440BX
chipset by IBM PC 300PL 6862-80U(model #) PII333Mhz, 100Mhz FSB.

The system was working just fine till i decided to change
CPU from PII-333 to PII-350. I did it because my SECOND(let's say
asus) computer box
doesn't suport 100Mhz FSB speed and PII-350 runs at 233Mhz only, but
333
CPU runs at 66Mhz FSB and works on my asus box fine. The CPU
PII-350 didn't react on any jumper changes on mainboard in asus box,
regardless any jumpers configuration it works ONLY as 233Mhz, but in
IBM box it runs at 350Mhz or any other speed i switched, but with
problem...

IBM box configuration:
Mb: i440BX chipset, onboard sound&video 66MHZ bus speed
CPU: PII350Mhz(100Mhz FSB)/PII333MHZ(66MHz FSB)
Video: external Ati 3d PRO turbo PC2TV, 8MB RAM, PCI
Mem: 128 MB PC100 NO ECC
HDD: MAxtor 4.2Gb

Second Box configuration:
MB Asus P2L97(i440LX chipset), rev.1.05, 33Mhz bus speed.
PII-350Mhz (100Mhz FSB, 2.0V power supply, 512Kb cache, manufact.
in 97year), runs at 233Mhz
SDRAM 320Mb PC66 no ECC
Asus TNT v3400, 16Mb SDRAM, AGP

I experience some troubles with IBM box, because after i put 350Mhz
CPU into mainboard, the POST/BIOS procedure gives me an
error "167 can't update processor bios information", pretty
unexpectable for
such common thing as changing the CPU which supports by i440BX chipset
specification. I downloaded manual from ibm web site and for this
error it says "microprocessor doesn't support by current POST/BIOS"
.... OK, i
flashed the latest BIOS, no more error message but problem still the
same - i
powered system, after the message about "hit F1 for entering BIOS"
disappers, the fans on box and cpu stop working, but the system boots
and
everything is fine except fans are not working, in the BIOS there are
no mistakes, BIOS says it sees PII-350MHZ. Then i decided to put back
CPU 333MHZ, which was working just fine,and guess ... the same problem
as with my 350Mhz one, fans stop working, but system boots without any
problem...

I've tried change in BIOS cache options for CPU(with/without ECC,
disabled),
disabled "CPU update" under Advanced SETUP/Processor, flashed BIOS
again,
nothing helped. About "CPU Update" option, in the manual it says
"enabling or
disabling Processor Update determines whether the BIOS will apply
microprocessor
updates when the comp. starts", i played with this after i flashed the
BIOS, doesn't help... I've tried ROM recovery switch on MB, but there
is no effect.

Both CPU's are working on my asus box. I would really appreciate any
of YOUR advise. Could I get OLD VERSION of BIOS, ibm web site has only
one
version - the latest(ver. 5.8a). Seems very weird that
such a problem could happend after the simplest thing - changing the
CPU.