Windows page file

Old October 22nd 03, 02:12 AM
HMSDOC

Default Windows page file

I plan to build my PC soon and bought an OEM Windows XP Pro OS. Based on what
I have read the best approach to the page file is to put it on a physically
separate drive from the OS, but that better yet is to split it over 2 drives.
I am thinking of splitting it between the C drive and a physically separate
drive. The max size of the page file as I understand it is 4MB. So, if being
split between 2 physically separate drives do you make the max size on each
drive 4 MB or is it 2 MB max size for each drive?

Howard.
Old October 22nd 03, 03:41 AM
Richard Dower

"HMSDOC" wrote in message
I plan to build my PC soon and bought an OEM Windows XP Pro OS. Based on

what
I have read the best approach to the page file is to put it on a

physically
separate drive from the OS, but that better yet is to split it over 2

drives.
I am thinking of splitting it between the C drive and a physically

separate
drive. The max size of the page file as I understand it is 4MB. So, if

being
split between 2 physically separate drives do you make the max size on

each
drive 4 MB or is it 2 MB max size for each drive?

Howard.

Page file for my system is set to 767MB on drive C.

Old October 22nd 03, 10:35 AM
Fitz

I separated an 80 GB HD into 3 partitions....35 GB for the OS and programs,
44 GB for storage, and 1 GB for the page file (twice the amount of RAM, in
this case, 512 MB's). Even if it doesn't get used much, having it on a
separate drive helps keep fragmentation down on your OS drive. Also, if you
do much photo editing, Adobe programs like to have it's scratch disk
separate from the OS page file. Here's a link to an article that might prove
useful:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php

Fitz

Old October 22nd 03, 09:00 PM
Shepİ

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:38:22 -0600, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs ")-()-("
wrote :

"Shepİ" wrote:

On 22 Oct 2003 01:12:47 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood invention
that lemmings jump off cliffs (HMSDOC) wrote :

I plan to build my PC soon and bought an OEM Windows XP Pro OS. Based on what
I have read the best approach to the page file is to put it on a physically
separate drive from the OS, but that better yet is to split it over 2 drives.
I am thinking of splitting it between the C drive and a physically separate
drive. The max size of the page file as I understand it is 4MB. So, if being
split between 2 physically separate drives do you make the max size on each
drive 4 MB or is it 2 MB max size for each drive?

Howard.

It doesn't really matter where you put it on modern systems and if you
have enough RAM and enable the conservative swapfile usage then it may
never get used.Can't remember the last time my win386.swp was used in
Win98 and my page files don't get used much in XP with 765 meg of RAM
:O)

Yup, if you have enough RAM, the pagefile rarely gets used...

Best approach (fastest) for me was to use no page file.
Depends on the applications used though.
You should have at least 512mb.

If you need a pagefile, NTFS 4k cluster size on a separate partition
is what I would do.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/w...371764,00.html

I'm not sure for NT based systems but there's no need to really
disable the Swapfile/Pagefile if you set a correct fixed minimum in
win9X/ME and a correct min/max in NT/XP AFAIK

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in gmx for email