Windows XP for Dummies?

Old May 18th 06, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Windows XP for Dummies?

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old May 18th 06, 09:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Brian K wrote:
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

You know what? Try the internet. You obviously have access.

I'm not being flip. Info on the net is free, books are not.
Old May 18th 06, 09:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 5/18/06 4:08 AM ToolPackinMama wrote:
Brian K wrote:
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit.
I know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be
without manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail
one. So is there a good book that will provide me FAQ about
instillation, and tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair
or Barns & Noble?

You know what? Try the internet. You obviously have access.

I'm not being flip. Info on the net is free, books are not.

Thanks for your suggestion. I posted my question under the assumption
that questions may arise when I do not have access. My current machine
is on it's last legs. There is no guarantee that the new one will be up
and running with internet access. (No, there isn't an internet cafe,
library or another computer I can use once this one goes belly-up).

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old May 18th 06, 10:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Brian K" schreef in bericht
k.net...
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

You could try any of these:
The first one doesn't tell much about installation, but more about basic
stuff. Good for starters.
The second one is more comprehensive, there is an updated version of the
book for XP Service Pack 2.

Windows XP for Dummies Quick Reference, 2nd Edition
Hungry Minds - Wiley | 201 pages, spiral bound | Greg Harvey
A Quick Reference for the Rest of Us! Fully revised to include the latest
Windows XP updates including Service Pack 2
Reference for Users, Beginning and Intermediate Level
ISBN: 0-7645-7464-7 | Engels US

Microsoft Windows XP Unleashed
Sams | 880 pages | Terry W. Ogletree
Going beyond the basics to Unleash the full power of Microsoft Windows XP,
Terry Ogletree guides you through a wide variety of Windows XP topics
Tutorial for Users, Intermediate and Advanced Level
ISBN: 0-672-32280-3 | Engels US

Old May 18th 06, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Brian K wrote:

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit.
I know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be
without manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail
one. So is there a good book that will provide me FAQ about
instillation, and tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair
or Barns & Noble?

You know what? Try the internet. You obviously have access.

I'm not being flip. Info on the net is free, books are not.

Thanks for your suggestion. I posted my question under the assumption
that questions may arise when I do not have access. My current machine
is on it's last legs. There is no guarantee that the new one will be up
and running with internet access. (No, there isn't an internet cafe,
library or another computer I can use once this one goes belly-up).

OK, you have my sympathy, but maybe your biggest problem is hardware,
not software. Perhaps many or all of your problems would be solved with
a newer computer.

Like a light bulb, old computers eventually just burn out. When that
happens, you just bite the bullet, and upgrade.

Before you try to install XP, check to see if your computer is
compatible. If not, then, hey... my sympathies.
Old May 18th 06, 11:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Brian K wrote:

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit.
I know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be
without manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail
one. So is there a good book that will provide me FAQ about
instillation, and tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair
or Barns & Noble?

You know what? Try the internet. You obviously have access.

I'm not being flip. Info on the net is free, books are not.

Thanks for your suggestion. I posted my question under the assumption
that questions may arise when I do not have access.

Ooops, I see you have a barebones kit. Good for you. XP is installed
by booting to the CD, and take it from there. Follow the prompts. You
are smart, and can figure it out.
Old May 18th 06, 11:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

PS:

The OS is not enough. You will probably need the motherboard drivers and
other drivers before you can access the net.

Do you have broadband, or are you using dial-up?
Old May 18th 06, 01:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Thu, 18 May 2006 11:05:47 +0200, Marcel Overweel wrote:

"Brian K" schreef in bericht
k.net...
[...]

I've always liked the Mark Minasi "Mastering" series books. They are great
reference books. I have "Mastering Windows XP Professional." They are
published by Sybex.

Patty
Old May 18th 06, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Brian K" wrote in message
k.net...
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and tweaks
that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

Before the barebone kit arrives, use your current computer to prepare for
the new build. Find the web site of the mainboard manufacturer. Download
all drivers for the motherboard. Don't forget LAN drivers. UNCOMPRESS all
the drivers, if they are downloaded in compressed form. Then find the web
site for whoever makes your video card. Download the latest drivers for it,
and UNCOMPRESS them. If you use a modem to connect to the Internet,
download drivers for the modem, and uncompress them.

Burn all these drivers to a single CD. While you are at it, you might want
to burn any important data files from your current system to the same CD.

You're not done yet. However you connect to the Internet, make sure to
write down (in hardcopy form) the telephone number to contact your ISP
technical support. Also, write down any current settings used with your ISP
like user name/password, IP addresses, dial-up number, etc.

If your new computer will use a SATA hard drive, download the SATA drivers
(for the motherboard) and copy them to a floppy disk.

Installing Windows XP is easy, just boot the Cd and follow the prompts.
HOWEVER, to get your computer to a useful state might require SATA drivers
on floppy disk, motherboard drivers, and (LAN or modem) drivers, as well as
video card drivers. Sound card drivers are useful, also, but can be
installed after XP is up and running and connected to the Internet.

If you are worried about using Windows XP, don't worry. It will feel just
like earlier versions, like Windows 98SE for example. There are
differences, but nothing that will stop you from using Windows XP as soon as
it is installed. -Dave

Old May 18th 06, 05:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article t, Brian
K says...
I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and
tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

Yup...it's titled "Windows XP for Dummies". Seriously.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.