14x multiplier for T'bird?

Old January 5th 04, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Dylan

Default 14x multiplier for T'bird?

G'day,
As far as I can see, the 1400Mhz 'B' Athlon Thunderbird must have had a 14x
multiplier i.e. 14 x 100 = 1400. Assuming this chip is identical to the 'C'
(133 MHz FSB) T'birds, except of course for the bridge settings that call
for a 14 x multiplier, a 'C' T'bird should be able to do 14 x FSB. Does
anyone know or has found info on the possibility of this and how it is done?

Chiers

FYI, board is a KT7 running 116 FSB with max BIOS setable multiplier of 13x.

Jib

Old January 5th 04, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:01:48 +0800, Dylan wrote:

G'day,
As far as I can see, the 1400Mhz 'B' Athlon Thunderbird must have had a 14x
multiplier i.e. 14 x 100 = 1400. Assuming this chip is identical to the 'C'
(133 MHz FSB) T'birds, except of course for the bridge settings that call
for a 14 x multiplier, a 'C' T'bird should be able to do 14 x FSB. Does
anyone know or has found info on the possibility of this and how it is done?

Just a wag, but they probably enable the 8x multiplier bit of the 1400B
tbird. Unless I had one though I sure wouldn't buy one when there are so
many other options that are better and cheaper.

FYI, board is a KT7 running 116 FSB with max BIOS setable multiplier of
13x.

So what are you wanting to do with this baord? See link below.

Old January 6th 04, 12:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Dylan

Wes,
I have an unlocked 1.33 gig 'C' t'bird which im pretty sure can go higher
than the 1508 its at now and set to a 13x multiplier. Thus i'd like to try
14x but I cant find any way to get. There will be no cost involved in doing
this. Wont be buying a new cpu until i get a new mainboard, ram & other
stuff, ie new box. I tried XP's in my KT7 and they didnt work.

Cheers

Dylan

news

Old January 6th 04, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:21:57 +0800, Dylan wrote:

Wes,
I have an unlocked 1.33 gig 'C' t'bird which im pretty sure can go higher
than the 1508 its at now and set to a 13x multiplier. Thus i'd like to try
14x but I cant find any way to get. There will be no cost involved in doing
this. Wont be buying a new cpu until i get a new mainboard, ram & other
stuff, ie new box.

AFAIK, there's no external access to an 8x multiplier bit in the tbird
line of cpu's. If there is, and you can find it, then you could get 14x.

I tried XP's in my KT7 and they didnt work.

Then you did something wrong. An XP should work in any KT7 board. There
are a few that won't boot without mods. These are Tbred A cores with
default multipliers over 12.5 (2100+ and 2200+). Any other XP should boot
without mods. I think there are hundreds that can verify this.

Old January 8th 04, 10:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Dylan

Right, so the T'bird 1400 'B' (14 x 100) must be modified interally at the
fab. I read that these run at 14 x when the bios is set to 5 x.
Unfoutunately mine wont boot at 5 x even with a 100 MHz bus speed.

Yeah nah the XP was obviously the cpu of choice when I wanted to upgrade
from my Duron. An XP was too expensive to buy and only see it fail to work
Luckily a parts shop let me try a few Palamino XP's. Cant really see how to
do it wrong? Tried Duron to XP straight swap; no joi, tried clearing the
cmos; no joi, tried hard resets; no joi. Was using the A9 bios. I mean if
you gotta 'fix it' in some way to get something to work then its broken and
aint meant for that use. Dont get me wrong i love to change the board, eg
voltage mod, but were talking about a processor upgrade here. Not meant to
be rocket science, thats why they devised ZIF sockets even! The upgrade from
a 900 MHz o/c Duron to a 1.5 Ghz T'bird produced dividends regardless. The
KT7 has been the best mobo i've owned and served its function well, even
though it wouldn't boot with an ISA sound card (forcing me to buy a new one)
and upset me when the KT7A's were released not long after the KT7's were
available. I'll keep running it until it refuses to. But even with the
fastest processor in the world in it it would still be a slug c.f. todays
speed spec'd feature packed turbos. So once again i'm searching for
worthwhile upgrades...

Thanks for the info
btw, if possible, i recommend an increase in bus speed from 100Mhz , your
memory & system will love it.
Dylan

news