Windows XP for Dummies?

Old May 18th 06, 05:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Windows XP for Dummies?

"Brian K" wrote in message
k.net...

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones kit. I
know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with be without
manual or whatever install guide that comes with the retail one. So is
there a good book that will provide me FAQ about instillation, and tweaks
that I can pick up at the next computer fair or Barns & Noble?

The Missing Manual series (volumes on lots of different software) seems
pretty good, and is widely available.

Old May 18th 06, 06:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Brian K wrote:

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones
kit. I know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with
be without manual or whatever install guide that comes with the
retail one. So is there a good book that will provide me FAQ about
instillation, and tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer
fair or Barns & Noble?

You don't have to know anything about Windows XP you don't already
know about prior versions of Windows. Just format your hard drive
and install it.

If you are using DSL/cable, don't depend on the built-in firewall,
install ZoneAlarm/whatever.

If you miss the look of prior versions, you can change that in
Display Properties -- Themes.

Have fun.
Old May 18th 06, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Windows XP for Dummies? Yes! It does most everything for you.

Old May 18th 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"John Doe" wrote in message
Brian K wrote:

I just purchased an OEM version of Win XP SP 2 with a barebones
kit. I know nothing about XP. I am assuming the OEM version with
be without manual or whatever install guide that comes with the
retail one. So is there a good book that will provide me FAQ about
instillation, and tweaks that I can pick up at the next computer
fair or Barns & Noble?

You don't have to know anything about Windows XP you don't already
know about prior versions of Windows. Just format your hard drive
and install it.

Actually, formatting is done for you. If you can format prior to the
Windows installation, then the file format will be fat32, which is not a
good idea for XP. The Windows XP install program will format your hard
drive to NTFS for you. -Dave

Old May 20th 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Mike T." wrote:

Actually, formatting is done for you. If you can format prior to
the Windows installation, then the file format will be fat32,

I format in NTFS with either of two different boot CDs, either
PartitionMagic or Partition Manager.

which is not a good idea for XP. The Windows XP install program
will format your hard drive to NTFS for you. -Dave

I agree, that's a good point for the original poster.

Old May 20th 06, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 5/19/06 8:06 PM John Doe wrote:
"Mike T." wrote:

Actually, formatting is done for you. If you can format prior to
the Windows installation, then the file format will be fat32,

I format in NTFS with either of two different boot CDs, either
PartitionMagic or Partition Manager.

which is not a good idea for XP. The Windows XP install program
will format your hard drive to NTFS for you. -Dave

I agree, that's a good point for the original poster.

Thanks everyone for your input.

FYI on both IDE and SATA drives from Western Digital it should be noted
that the disk prep software gives the user a choice of file formats
including NTFS, partitioning in different formats with different OS etc.
My current IDE 80 g is a WD 133. I also have an external WD FAT 32
Drive. This is my backup drive. After installing appropriate drivers,
I will copy a number of my data files. I also have a folder with a
number of self-installing drivers for stuff that doesn't have XP drivers
on the cds that came with some of my peripherals.

When I first took a computer programing course, we used IBM's Principles
of Operations on a 3090 in 370 emulation. Op codes were just one step
above machine code. I found that the only way I could wrap my
consciousness around it was to chill out in the bath while absorbing bit
by bit. I do this with every new OS I use even if I'm not going to be
coding under it. You just can't take a notebook into the bath like you
can a good techie book. Also, a good book is really handy if you are in
a situation where you temporarily don't have access to the net.

So thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old May 20th 06, 10:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Brian K brianblog1951 earthlink.net wrote:

FYI on both IDE and SATA drives from Western Digital it should be
noted that the disk prep software gives the user a choice of file
formats including NTFS, partitioning in different formats with
different OS etc.

Something I recently read is that you can format a flash drive with
NTFS using Microsoft's convert.exe. Then you can encrypt the drive.
I guess that will allow it to be used as an ordinary NTFS drive
while in your computer, but it will be completely inaccessible to
anyone if you take the flash drive with you and accidentally lose
it. Going to try that shortly.

Flash drives are very cool IMO, and getting cooler by the minute.

Snipped discussion about programming

Okay, so you are not a computer novice. Well then you have no
worries whatsoever about Windows XP. Besides much less crashing,
there is practically no noticeable difference except the appearance,
and the appearance can be changed to the standard Windows 9x look (I
like gradient colored title bars). The upgrade is easy. Have fun.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

newsmst01b.news.prodigy.com!prodigy.com!newscon06. news.prodigy.com!
prodigy.net!newshub.sdsu.edu!elnk-nf2-pas!newsfeed.earthlink.net!
stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!newsread1.news.pas. earthlink.net.POSTED!
672ad58f!not-for-mail
From: Brian K brianblog1951 earthlink.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Windows XP for Dummies?

Xns97C77BE1189210123456789 207.115.17.102 446cb624$0$84074$892e7fe2
authen.yellow.readfreenews.net Xns97C8C253150F0123456789
207.115.17.102
Date: Sat, 20 May 2006 06:45:11 GMT

(Fri, 19 May 2006 23:45:11 PDT)