Acer Aspire 5515

Old April 24th 09, 11:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
[email protected]

Default Acer Aspire 5515

On Apr 23, 9:07*pm, David 01 wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:54:20 +0100, Pete Zahut wrote:
David 01 wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:42:06 -0500, Kevin Childers wrote:

"David 01" wrote in message
.. .
I bought one and intentionally deleted all the partitions. I was
going to
restore it to factory defaults but the restore disk doesn't format
and partition the drive. Does anyone have one that is stock and can
tell me the name of the restore partition? The regular partition is
ACER and there was one called DATA, I think, but I forgot the name of
the restore partition. Also, I think it was 10 GB. Can anyone confirm
that?

Thanks!

If you deleted the partitions, *you deleted their contents. *Just
recreating the partitions will not resolve your issues. *As I
understand it the restore CD only processes the restoration, using the
content of those partitions. Ergo the restore CD can restore any
simular PC to any variety of configurations, all depending on the
content of those partitions.

Long story short, you need to do a complete install, there is nothing
to restore.

KMC

I'm aware that I deleted the contents of the partitions. That exactly
was what I intended to do.

If I use the restore Cd's, they only completely erase and restore the
ACER partition and of course, do nothing to the restore partition
because it has not been re-created, (I'm assuming that is the reason).
I'm also assuming that if I re-create the restore partition and give it
the original name and size, that the restore Cd's will do as they do on
the ACER partition and erase the information (of course there won't be
any there the first time) and restore it as from the factory. I can't
do a complete install because I don't have install disks. I have the
software and experience to re-create, re-size, move, etc partitions on
the HD, no problem.

Thanks for your reply.

The restore CDs look for, and use, the information on the "restore"
partition. In other words, they work together and with each other. Even
if you have (had) the restore CD, it would be of no use to you without
the restore partition and vice versa. If you've deleted the restore
partition, no amount of restore discs will help you.

Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify something. I do have the restore
CDs and they will restore the ACER (C partition WITHOUT the restore
partition or it's information being present. It just doesn't restore the
restore partition (which I think will work without the CDs (may not be
correct there because I haven't tried that)) nor the DATA partition. ie,
I do not have a restore partition nor any restore info on my drive and
the restore CDs will restore the ACER partition without them. I assume
it's formatting that partition and then reinstalling to it. It's factory
fresh, just like out of the box (with the exception that there is no
hidden or otherwise restore partition nor DATA partition) after I use
them.- Hide quoted text -

When you first got the computer, did you make a backup CD of ALL
partitions?
My 5315 took 7 CDs to create recovery disks and then another 10 CDs to
create a backup of Configuration #!1.

If you didn't then I think all is lost.
Old April 25th 09, 12:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

David 01 wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:42:06 -0500, Kevin Childers wrote:

"David 01" wrote in message
.. .
I bought one and intentionally deleted all the partitions. I was
going to
restore it to factory defaults but the restore disk doesn't format
and partition the drive. Does anyone have one that is stock and
can tell me the name of the restore partition? The regular
partition is ACER and there was one called DATA, I think, but I
forgot the name of the restore partition. Also, I think it was 10
GB. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks!

If you deleted the partitions, Â*you deleted their contents. Â*Just
recreating the partitions will not resolve your issues. Â*As I
[...]

Yes! Mine only created 3 CDs. ACER also sent me THREE CDs.

All shouldn't be lost. ACER builds new machines probably at least 5 days
a week and partitions a lot of them like mine.
Old April 25th 09, 12:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

David 01 wrote:
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:42:06 -0500, Kevin Childers wrote:

"David 01" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

CORRECTION!!! My recovery disks were 3 DVDs, not CDs. And I guess ACER
probably sent the same, but I also just found this:

eRecovery Facts

· When the hard drive is replaced the system loses its eRecovery
features. These features are on the hard drive and cannot be reinstalled.

We all knew the new hardrive wouldn't have this feature unless supplied
by ACER.

· When reinstalling from the made CD/DVD's you will lose the
eRecovery program but the DOS version may still work, also if uninstalled
you can't reinstall.

Now this is news.

So I have found out that ACER doesn't have a means for a user to
reinstall eRecovery EVEN THOUGH it would not be impossible to do if ACER
would provide the means.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Old April 25th 09, 03:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
joe

David 01 wrote:
snip

Now this is news.

So I have found out that ACER doesn't have a means for a user to
reinstall eRecovery EVEN THOUGH it would not be impossible to do if ACER
would provide the means.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

An image backup of the disk before making any changes to it can make it easy
to return to the original condition.

Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image and other packages allow you to do that.

You don't have to rely upon the manufacturer.

Old April 25th 09, 04:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:24:20 -0500, joe wrote:

David 01 wrote:
snip

Now this is news.

So I have found out that ACER doesn't have a means for a user to
reinstall eRecovery EVEN THOUGH it would not be impossible to do if
ACER would provide the means.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

An image backup of the disk before making any changes to it can make it
easy to return to the original condition.

Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image and other packages allow you to do
that.

You don't have to rely upon the manufacturer.

I agree, and good information for others who don't know, but that wasn't
my question. Thanks, though.
Old May 6th 09, 04:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
rodimus

Well, here is some information that I hope may help you. From within
windows Vista, Using the management console I get the following
information about the 10gig partition:

Volume: no name
Layout: Simple
Type: Basic
File System: Blank --- There is nothing showing up here
Capacity: 10.00 GB
Free Space: 10.00 GB --- Thats right, shows as empty from the
factory
%Free: 100% --- Again, this is how it came from the
factory.
Fault Tolerant: No
Overhead: 0%

Now, here is what linux told me about the partition (and the partition
tables):
Size: 160041885696 Bytes 160.0 GB
Heads: 255
Sectors per track: 63
Cylinders: 19457

sda1
Part Type=Primary
FS Type=Unknown (27) -- Appears to be PQservice: it is fat32
Label=none
Size=10742.22

Dev sda1 (first partition)
Starting Cylinder 1
Ending Cylinder 1306
Blocks 10490413+
ID 27
System Unknown

If you provide me with an email address, I will send you a .zip file of
the contents of the recovery partition, (yes linux sees all the data
there!). Also, in another forum, somebody talks about how to restore
your partitions using "ptedit" You can visit the forum by going to:
'Acer Hidden Recovery Partition - Page 16 - Notebook Forums and Laptop
Discussion' (http://www.tinyurl.com/cqn3vx) .

20090506 Addendum: The files on the recovery partition contain a rather
large .iso. If you need a copy of the files, I may have to use an online
file share utility instead of email. Also, if anyone else has problems
with this laptop, just let me know, I may be able to help.

Old May 7th 09, 04:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
David 01

On Tue, 05 May 2009 22:37:03 -0500, rodimus wrote:

Well, here is some information that I hope may help you. From within
windows Vista, Using the management console I get the following
information about the 10gig partition:

Volume: no name
Layout: Simple
Type: Basic
File System: Blank --- There is nothing showing up here Status:
Healthy (EISA Configuration) Capacity: 10.00 GB
[...]

I'm interested in the contents but you will probably have to use a file
sharing site or utility because my email sure won't accept that big a
file.

Thanks for your reply and information.
Old May 22nd 09, 03:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
rodimus[_2_]

Sorry it has taken me so long to get this post up. I have been swamped
at work.

Visit this site,
http://linuxmages.us/Acer/index.php

The files are listed there to download and put into the recovery
partition.

Hope this helps.

Rodimus