AMD RAID system - Off Topic?

Old August 16th 03, 10:05 AM
Darthy

Default AMD RAID system - Off Topic?

Sorry if this is Off topic... but I couldn't locate a RAID group and I
figure this would be perhaps the best place to get help with an AMD
Raid system.

I've tried two different boards now, MSI KT4V and now the ASUS
A7N8X-Ultra400

Drives = 4x WD 120gb with 8mb cache - using the Adaptec A1200 IDE RAID
card.

It appears Im getting funny little files in the root of C: Drive
(Windows98se) that are 0k in size.

They have 1 ~ 3 funny characters in their filenames, kinda like !
odd shape verticle dashes usually.

The names are usually 2~5 characters... like:
er!
Ong!
yyyyy???? (upside down ? marks & funny Ys)
ay
O!y!
!

(! = funny line)

Could it be a RAID problem with a drive - getting confused? Some odd
things have been happening with Windows from time to time too

One of the drives seems to have a slight vibration problem... perhaps
its causing problems? (If the PC is on the table, you can feel it on
the keyboard keys).

The AMD XP2600 is running good, overall system temp is good (4 fans).

Any help would be good on this... Again, I'm not finding help
elseware - so I ask fellow AMDers.

Old August 17th 03, 08:45 AM
LeeB18509

This is a good group of forums.
http://www.amdforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40

"The TweakOholic" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Have you checked for viruses? What about a thorough scan of each disk?

-------------------------
Politicians are used car salesmen who have the public speaking gene

Old August 17th 03, 08:34 PM
Dan Keeley

Dunno if this applies to you but you should also check your bios version -
on the nforce raid boards the early bios's caused raid corruption ( Rather
ironically )....

Old August 18th 03, 01:59 AM
Darthy

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:34:01 +0100, "Dan Keeley"
wrote:

Dunno if this applies to you but you should also check your bios version -
on the nforce raid boards the early bios's caused raid corruption ( Rather
ironically )....

This is from two different motherboards.... First, MSI KT400 KT4V and
twice now with the ASUS A7N8X -Rev2...

Hmmm... This is new reload of Windows98se on the system...
Going into SLEEP mode is deadly (refusal to wake up) and the WinDVD
doesn't play... (Reloaded that twice) - I tried another DVD drive
from my other computer - ASUS A7V8x - same make & model... didn't
improve anything - same problem (That machine plays DVDs fine).

WnDVD just sticks on the first 1-2 chapters of a DVD (before the menu,
stuck on the rating screen)... while on the VIA system, everything is
normal. (Same version of WinDVD as well).

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!