can set SiS video resolution higher than 1024x768?

Old August 8th 05, 07:46 PM
peter

Default can set SiS video resolution higher than 1024x768?

I recently bought a compaq sr1520nx from compusa with a salmon K8S-LA
motherboard with SiS 760 chip.

The default installation does not allow display resolution any higher than
1024x768. However, if I re-install winXP, then download the SiS 760 driver
from microsoft's windows update, then I can set the resolution higher.

However, this is not a satisfactory solution, because the microsoft driver
is a bare bone driver and does not come with SiS utilities to change gamma,
which is something I also want to do.

If I download the full set of SiS utilities for this video board from hp,
then after installing them I cannot change the resolution to higher than
1024x768 again. Actually, the change resolution slider would let me do it,
but the result is a virtual desktop scrollable in a 1024x768 resolution
screen.

Has anyone figured out how to change resolution to higher than 1024x768 and
also be able to set the gamma on this chipset? Virtual desktop is usually a
more advance feature than simply changing the screen resolution. Why is this
feature available, but not the more straight forward feature of changing
resolution to higher than 1024x768?

SiS does not provide tech support directly. HP's tech support offered little
help, and I have tried everything I can think of. Changing the type of
monitor does not help.

Old August 9th 05, 03:05 AM
Paul

In article TLNJe.2047$0d.1561@trnddc03, "peter" wrote:

[...]

Integrated video chipsets usually have a few registers that
program the amount of 3D texture memory to steal from main
memory, and perhaps also an allocation for the frame buffer.
If the BIOS sets the frame buffer allocation too low, and
the driver is not clever enough to ignore what the BIOS
has done, perhaps that is why you are stuck at 1024x768.

On at least one computer here, I had reduced resolutions
offered, until I installed a driver for the monitor. I would
have thought the computer could talk to the monitor via
DDC, and get the supported resolutions, but you never know.

Another remote possibility, is that particular driver has
a bug in it. But, seeing as it offered you a virtual desktop,
that isn't too likely.

The memory that the BIOS steals, for the use by the integrated
video, is probably not memory that Windows can see or manage.
If the memory is allocated before Windows is running, I think
you can see how the BIOS could mess about with the successful
operation of your video. Have a look in the BIOS screens, and
see if there are any params that can be bumped up. A really
cheesy BIOS might not show any options, in which case you'll
just have to keep testing new drivers.

Just some random guesses,
Paul
Old August 15th 05, 05:11 AM
Paul

[...]

Bingo. Found a recipe here.

http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq_r...Language=en-us

HTH,
Paul
Old August 15th 05, 05:21 AM
Paul

In article ,
(Paul) wrote:

[...]

http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mis...s760/Setup.zip has the
new Setup.ini in it.

Paul
Old September 3rd 05, 05:09 PM
peter

The other solution you posted (replacing a setup.ini file) does work!!
(I found that posting via google search but cannot see that in my newsreader
OE).

I did search asus' web site but did not find that vital piece of article.
How did you navigate/found it?

Old September 4th 05, 03:47 PM
peter

Found a better solution:

http://www.windowsforumz.com/Hardwar...ict238985.html

Old September 6th 05, 09:19 AM
Paul

In article mVjSe.2090$IT4.1583@trnddc04, "peter" wrote:

The other solution you posted (replacing a setup.ini file) does work!!
(I found that posting via google search but cannot see that in my newsreader
OE).

I did search asus' web site but did not find that vital piece of article.
How did you navigate/found it?

From support.asus.com.tw , you can find a FAQ page.
I think I entered "K8S-MX" as the model number, then
searched for all articles on the K8S-MX. The article
was on page 2 of the returned results.

http://support.asus.com.tw/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

The majority of FAQ articles on that page are a waste
of time, but in this case, visiting the FAQ page paid off.
Normally, I wouldn't suggest people try the FAQ page, as
there are so few useful pieces of information on there.

Paul