powerleap ripoff.

Old May 25th 04, 04:31 AM
tonys

I do have a PB 640 running an AMD k6 400...been running for years now....I
bought the Mr Bios update years ago also....

as fars as /6s.... only got V8s....340 360.... dont have the email
address of AARcuda for nothing...

tony

"metronid" wrote in message
That was a very good answer Tony
Powerleap provides only a board that has the correct voltages (using
volatge regulators)
and the multipliers
integrated to make it user friendly
The bios must still see the chip
It does not have to specify it properly but it must recognize it properly
No see no can do

I have never purchased one
I have played with them

I could etch a board similar to theirs for about 2 dollars
Soldering in all the pins to be used an an interposer for the cpu socket
would be kind of hard
If I checked out the pin spacing that may not be a problem as these pins

are
available in a ready
made series
The voltage regulator and current requirements would have to be met

For the price they charge and what they give I have a hard time beleiving
that
they do not give the bios free
Mircrofirmaware would still be ok if Powerleap would have used them
Bios can be a lot cheaper when buying in mass
Then again there are a lot of computers and bioses

For the price they charge(Powerleap)
I would surely get another MB first
Cheap as can be on Ebay

Using a powerleap is like putting a 4 barrel on
a dodge slant six
More power yes
A lot
No
Still have a slant six (by the way that was a die hard engine)
Never going to be a V6 or V8 no matter how you upgrade

"tonys" wrote in message
which motherboard do you have a PB600 or PB640?

If you have PB640 ........you will need the mr bios upgrade if you want

run an AMD K6 processor.....no if s about it....

"Jeptha" wrote in message
om...
okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus

speed:2.0)
It did not work.
what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?

what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?

Old May 25th 04, 05:31 AM
Jeptha

where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?
Old May 25th 04, 05:33 AM
Ben Myers

Well, Unicore now owns mrbios. Go to www.unicore.com . They have an on-line
form to request info about a BIOS upgrade, and a virtual monopoly on all BIOS
upgrades. Very frustrating that they do not have pricing for ANY of their
products... Ben Myers

Old May 25th 04, 11:31 AM
Elector

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Well, Unicore now owns mrbios. Go to www.unicore.com . They have

an on-line
form to request info about a BIOS upgrade, and a virtual monopoly on

all BIOS
upgrades. Very frustrating that they do not have pricing for ANY of

their
products... Ben Myers

On 24 May 2004 21:31:29 -0700, (Jeptha) wrote:

where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?

Last time I was there they did. But only on certain things. They want
you to fill out that form and then they email you to death when you
tell them you found it cheaper elsewhere. ha ha

I use to purchase from them all the time. Average price for a bios
chip in an anti-static bag with delivery is around $85 US
You can also just purchase the diskettes to do a bios flash for around
$55 US these prices can be higher or lower now since I have not been
there for quite some time.

Elector

Old May 25th 04, 01:39 PM
Ben Myers

In the year 2004, those kinds of prices are completely unrealistic for add-ons
to Socket 7 computers, even if someone is totally in love with their old PB. I
am selling good quality refurb low-end Pentium 3 systems locally for under $200
with Win 98SE COA. I think that Unicore is ashamed to make their prices more
public for fear of well-deserved ridicule... Ben Myers

Old May 25th 04, 03:16 PM
Elector

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
In the year 2004, those kinds of prices are completely unrealistic for

add-ons
to Socket 7 computers, even if someone is totally in love with their old

PB. I
am selling good quality refurb low-end Pentium 3 systems locally for under

$200
with Win 98SE COA. I think that Unicore is ashamed to make their prices

more
public for fear of well-deserved ridicule... Ben Myers

Unfortunately, that is the way of components. When the systems run anywhere
between $400-$500 for a brand new P4 Dell or even Gateway with CD/DVD Burner
and Flat panel monitor, the upgraded components still run hundreds of
dollars. I built my own computers for years and it costs me thousands of
dollars for the best components and devices and software. Good case in
point. Buy one of them new systems from CompUsa for $300 and you will spend
another $400 for Windows XP Home and or $600 for the full Windows XP Pro.
The software costs more than the system.

pitiful, but true.

Elector

Old May 26th 04, 05:17 AM
tonys

if some one was to email me ...and ask where they can find the bios...it
just might appear.....

"Jeptha" wrote in message
om...
where would I get the mr. bios upgrade for the pb 640 motherboard?

Old May 26th 04, 11:12 AM
Elector

om...

"tonys" wrote in message
if some one was to email me ...and ask where they can find the

bios...it
just might appear.....

Unfortunately in this day and age of address harvesting it is not a
good idea to email a request or reply to anyone unless you have known
that person for a very long time. http://www.unicore.com/biosupgrades/
is where Mr. BIOS is located.

Elector

Old May 27th 04, 04:40 AM
Jeptha

BEANS!!! BEANS!!! BEANS!!!

I purchased the upgrade and followed the instructions then it happened.....

The cmos is corrupt.
now what?
Old May 27th 04, 04:49 AM
Jeptha

Never mind, never mind, it cleared itself.

(sigh) i am gonna miss the packard bell face at boot up.

The powerleap finally worked.

Now I have a different problem.

every thim i boot I can't use anything on the computer.
I seem to have lost all driver memory during the flashing.

I would like to thank the people who helped me get my pb back on it's feet:

PS: can you help with the driver problem.