powerleap ripoff.

Old May 21st 04, 02:18 AM
Jeptha

Default powerleap ripoff.

Well i finally received my powerleap pro-mmx adapter and
I now can't believe that I wasted $100 on the piece of junk.

The included utilities disk was NOT included.

And the unit itself will not work.
The speed is 66mhx
the tweaked speed is 400 mhx at 6.0 CLKMUL
the voltage is 2.2 volts

And also....
The fan was defective and when used the fan would make an annoying and
loud grind sound.
When the unit is attached and the computer is turned on the little
yellow light on the monitor does not go green nor does the computer
boot up.

My computer is a packard bell PB 130 (a useless number)
Model:A950TWR
FCC ID: FOD640PT

By looking at the fcc id and the bios update, there is a 640
motherboard installed with 128 mb of ram.

any help?

PS:You may of forgotten that I banned myself for the complaining at
metronid for 3 months....well i'm back.
Old May 21st 04, 05:25 AM
tonys

First question...what processor are you running?
Second question...if it an AMD K6 ...you need the Mr Bios Upgraded
bios...otherwise you will always see that yellow light on your monitor...

The Utilities can be download from there web site...they really dont do much

Been running an AMD K6-400 in the old PB640 motherboard for years...and
years...and years....

Do you have an L2 cache module in your 640?
If not get one...make a world of difference, where it is 256k or 512k...

tony
om...

Old May 21st 04, 11:25 AM
Elector

"Jeptha" wrote in message
om...
[...]

John:

Simply return the defective unit and see if another replacement one
comes with what you PAID for. Then follow the instructions exactly and
then come back and let us know how and what happened.

its also always best not to remind folks of past or present problems
with another poster(s) it should simply be forgotten or ignored. I am
sure Metronid has forgotten it by now.

Elector

Old May 21st 04, 03:13 PM
Jeptha

Okay, I have the cpu in front of me.

it is an AMD K6-2/500AFX

the origional cpu is an intel pentium 166 mmx processor.

When i suddenly looked at the cpu again, think that the 500 in the cpu
model # will answer my problems...i might have the wrong cpu.

Where can I get the L2 cache module? Do they ship to canada? How much?

I also noticed that all the heatsinks and fans pro the prommx are VERY
different than the one i have.
And the fan is a dud so it is driving me crazy.
I can't switch back to 166 mhz because the fan is also squeaking (the
same with my 10 other fans)

Any help?
Old May 21st 04, 03:14 PM
Jeptha

Where can i get the L2 cache module?
I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
Where can i get a new fan?
Do they ship to canada?
How much?
Old May 21st 04, 08:23 PM
Elector

"Jeptha" wrote in message
om...
Where can i get the L2 cache module?
I looked at the cpu and noticd that it is an AMD K6-2/500afx
Where can i get a new fan?
Do they ship to canada?
How much?

You have the wrong cpu so now we are getting somewhere :-) The fans
are easy to buy and you can pick one up at Futureshop which I believe
is still located in Canada.

http://www.futureshop.ca/home.asp?ne...BS=f sweb%2D6

if the link above does not fit properly then click he
http://tinyurl.com/ywrlz which will take you to the same page. They
are in English and French I gave you the English page.

I hope that helped?

Elector

PS: Yes they ship to/within Canada...

Old May 21st 04, 11:50 PM
mdp

An AMD 500MHz CPU should work fine, AFAIK they are not clock locked.
However, the maximum you'll get out of it is 400MHz using the adapter and
your motherboard (6x66).

om...

Old May 22nd 04, 01:25 AM
Ben Myers

Agreed. The AMD K6 CPUs are not clock-locked. To get 400Mhz out of one, it
usually works to set the motherboard jumpers as though the CPU was a 133MHz
Pentium. This setting normally asserts the correct signals for the BF2, BF1,
BF0 pins which set the clock multiplier... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:50:41 GMT, "mdp" wrote:

An AMD 500MHz CPU should work fine, AFAIK they are not clock locked.
However, the maximum you'll get out of it is 400MHz using the adapter and
your motherboard (6x66).

. com...

Old May 22nd 04, 04:34 AM
Ben Myers

Oh, yeah! Running the AMD K6-2/500 at 400MHz is UNDERclocking it, the opposite
of what most games want to do with their systems... Ben Myers

On Fri, 21 May 2004 22:50:41 GMT, "mdp" wrote:

An AMD 500MHz CPU should work fine, AFAIK they are not clock locked.
However, the maximum you'll get out of it is 400MHz using the adapter and
your motherboard (6x66).

. com...

Old May 22nd 04, 10:58 PM
Jeptha

okay i tried the lowering of the speed to 133 mhz. (clock:6.6 bus speed:2.0)
It did not work.
what do you mean by "bf0, bf1 etc.?

what was this about a "mr bios" upgrade that was mentioned earlier?