ATI 9800Pro+Soun Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Issues

Old May 19th 04, 04:19 AM
Eric Glaister

Default ATI 9800Pro+Soun Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum Issues

I have recently built a new system with the following specs:

P4 3.2C Ghz
ATI 9800 Pro 128MB
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum
Linksys Wireless-G NIC
Belkin 5 Port USB 2.0 PCI Card
Asus P4P800 Mobo
Western Digital 80GB HD
1 Gig PC3200 DDR
Windows XP Home

Since Building the machine I have had frequent crashes while playing any of
my games. After weeks of driver errors, bsod, vpu recover and system
reboots and trying various different setups and tweaks of video card
settings and IRQ settings found in this forum and many others, I have traced
the problem down to a Driver conflict between the Video card and Sound Card.

The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

Old May 19th 04, 05:32 AM
David Kimerling

The issue resides with a conflict in the video drivers for the ATI card and
Sound Blaster Audigy2 Card. I have installed all the latest drivers for
both the cards and was recieving constant game crashes. However once I have
removed all signs of the Sound Blaster Drivers I am able to run the system
stable with the video card running at maximum settings. The only problem I
have now is that I am now using the onboard sound and am unable to use the
5.1 speakers that I have. Has anyone else had this problem and manage to
find a solution. I would really prefer to use the Sound Blaster Card.

I believe I have the same problem with an Asus 9800XT and an Audigy LS
Using Cat4.4 and latest from Creative. I get frequent crashes in Vice City
and Ghost Recon but none in Far Cry.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old May 19th 04, 06:02 AM
Gordon Scott

Eric Glaister wrote:

[...]

did you try diff pci slots?
Old May 19th 04, 06:50 AM
Eric Glaister

Yes I have tried placing the Sound Card into the different PCI slots that I
have available and have moved other PCI cards to ensure that there are no
IRQ conflicts with any of the cards. I have even tried using the original
drivers and all the updates for both of the cards to no avail.

Old May 19th 04, 07:25 AM
CrimsonLiar

Im just wondering how many people there are with that combination of Vid and
sound cards that everything is running OK for, I know it works fine for me.
Another component to throw in to the melting pot though is the motherboard!

CrimsonLiar

Old May 20th 04, 01:53 AM
DEP

I have a similar combo with an audigy 2 zs and have a problem with the TV
tuner and sound. It worked for a while (low volumn, loss of noise) but some
time a week or so I tried to use it and no sound. After messing around with
it I no longer get a sound option using the setup, display tab,
initialization wizard for the display function. I have tried numerous cable
changes from the video out using both red and black cables to the line in on
the sound card. I believe I downloaded direct X 9 but I can't find it in the
add remove programs listing. I am using pal.

Computer System

Processor(s) Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-53 Processor

Co-Processor (FPU) : Built-in

Speed : 2.40GHz

Socket/Slot : Socket 940

Supported Speed(s) : 2.40GHz

L2 On-board Cache : 1024kB ECC synchronous write-back

System Mainboard

Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI USB FireWire/1394

MP Support : 1 CPU(s)

System BIOS : American Megatrends Inc. 080009

System Mainboard : ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'SK8N'

System Chipset : ASUSTeK Computer Inc Unknown (00D1)

Front Side Bus Speed : 1x 200MHz (200MHz data rate)

Installed Memory : 1024MB

Video System

Monitor/Panel : Default Monitor

Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES

Adapter : ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES - Secondary

Physical Storage Devices

Disk Drive : eUSB SmartMedia

Disk Drive : WDC WD2000JB-32EVA0 (186.3GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD2500JB-32FUA0 (232.9GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD12 00BB-00CAA1 SCSI Disk Device (111.8GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD20 00JB-00DUA0 SCSI Disk Device (186.3GB)

Disk Drive : WDC WD25 00JB-00EVA0 SCSI Disk Device (232.9GB)

CD-ROM/DVD : SONY DVD+RW DRU-120A (CD 32X Rd, 12X Wr) (DVD 4X Rd)

MultiMedia Device(s)

Device : Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

Device : Creative Game Port

Printers and Faxes

Model : EPSON Stylus Photo 960

Any suggestions?

Dwight

Old May 20th 04, 05:09 AM
Eric Glaister

I believe that I have found the true culprit too the crashes occuring on my
PC. After e-mailing tech support for Sound Blaster and ATI, with there
suggestions of just updating the driver to the newsest version, I decided
that I since I knew that the issue was still present with new or old drivers
alike. I pulled all my expansion cards out and started from installing one
at a time. They all worked fine until I installed the Belkin USB 2.0 PCI
card. once this card is installed the crashes occur. The only thing that I
dont understand is that why the setup works with a 9200 series Radeon but
not with the 9800 or 9600. Not upset to be missing the ports as the Mobo
has 4 on its own and the extras were purchased for a prwvious system with
two USB 1.0 Ports. Exstatic that I can now play my games without the system
crashing and having to reboot.

Old May 20th 04, 08:16 PM
patrickp

On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:53:53 -0400, "DEP" wrote:

I have a similar combo with an audigy 2 zs and have a problem with the TV
tuner and sound. It worked for a while (low volumn, loss of noise) but some
time a week or so I tried to use it and no sound. After messing around with
it I no longer get a sound option using the setup, display tab,
initialization wizard for the display function. I have tried numerous cable
changes from the video out using both red and black cables to the line in on
the sound card. I believe I downloaded direct X 9 but I can't find it in the
add remove programs listing. I am using pal.

AFAIK DX9.0b has no effect on AIW sound; it's PAL and SECAM tuners
that it affects; it breaks them and you can't tune in or receive
channels at all. DirectX is not uninstallable, hence it won't show in
Add/Remove Programs: click Start Run, type "dxdiag" and click OK,
and you'll start the DirectX diagnosis tool, which will tell you what
version of DirectX you're running, along with a lot of other
information about your system.

If you're having sound problems with an Audigy, make sure you're using
the latest drivers for it. You may need to uninstall MMC to install
soundcard drivers successfully.

If you're using a PAL tuner on a W2K or XP system, you _are_ likely to
break your tuner if you install DX9.0b, though.

HTH

"JTS" wrote in message
[...]

- take five to email me