Can write onto a DVD but not read from DVD: "The device is not ready"

Old September 12th 10, 12:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Cindy Parker

Default Can write onto a DVD but not read from DVD: "The device is not ready"

After having worked successfully for a couple of years with my current DVD drive (recorder)
there are now problems since a few days.

I can write (=burn) as usually onto a DVD.

But when I want to read the content of such a DVD nothing is listed.
The drive letter is shown as usual in WinExplorer.

When I click on it the DVD seems to be empty. Nothing is shown.

dir E:

in Command prompt shows permanently "The device is not ready" even after 30 minutes!

When I insert the same DVD in another computer (with WinXP) then the 4 files are shown without
problems.

So whats wrong?

Is it a driver a WinXP settings problem?

Again: Burning is possible

Cindy

Old September 12th 10, 09:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
mm

BTW, the trouble with setting follow-ups is 1) that if you post back
saying that my idea solved your problem, or any other info, I won't
see your post because I don't read help and support. (If you reply to
my first answer and not to this one.)

And 2) if someone solves your problem, I won't see that either, even
though now my curiosity has been piqued.

At the very least you should write "Follow-ups set" but that doesn't
really solve the problem. If I notice it, it puts the burden on me to
add the name of the group I read, and even that only solves problem 1,
not 2.

How do people feel about setting follow-ups?

More at the bottom.

On 12 Sep 2010 11:26:58 GMT, (Cindy Parker) wrote:

After having worked successfully for a couple of years with my current DVD drive (recorder)
there are now problems since a few days.

I can write (=burn) as usually onto a DVD.

But when I want to read the content of such a DVD nothing is listed.
The drive letter is shown as usual in WinExplorer.

When I click on it the DVD seems to be empty. Nothing is shown.

dir E:

in Command prompt shows permanently "The device is not ready" even after 30 minutes!

When I insert the same DVD in another computer (with WinXP) then the 4 files are shown without
problems.

So whats wrong?

Is it a driver a WinXP settings problem?

Again: Burning is possible

Cindy

I don't know much, but I would dl ImgBurn, which is free, and use it
at least for checking this out, because it gives detailed messages
every step of the way, and maybe it will explain the problem.

Or maybe it will work if your other software isn't working.
Old September 12th 10, 09:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

mm wrote:
BTW, the trouble with setting follow-ups is 1) that if you post back
saying that my idea solved your problem, or any other info, I won't
see your post because I don't read help and support. (If you reply to
my first answer and not to this one.)

And 2) if someone solves your problem, I won't see that either, even
though now my curiosity has been piqued.

At the very least you should write "Follow-ups set" but that doesn't
really solve the problem. If I notice it, it puts the burden on me to
add the name of the group I read, and even that only solves problem 1,
not 2.

How do people feel about setting follow-ups?

Yeah, I agree, I didnt even notice that she had done that.