Overclocking the PB 600 MB.

Old September 27th 07, 07:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Default Overclocking the PB 600 MB.

If you think the system performed a lot better with 48MB, why not go for the
full boat of 4x32MB 72-pin SIMMs? It would be nice if you had one of the
motherboard with cache memory, rather than one without... Ben Myers

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 16:25:09 GMT, Jerry wrote:

Hello All ,,,,,,

THANKS for all the advise.

And, the more I think about it, I have been satisfied with the PB 600
MB 100MHz performance, especially after it was upgraded to W98SE and
memory added to 48MB. The additional memeory made a noticable increase
in performance!

Based on this discussion and othrers, overclocking or swithcing to a
different CPU is not necessary based on the performance being
experienced. In the beginning of this Subject the idea was to see if
this could be done for this cpu and what if any noticaable diffenece
was experienced. If acceptable then learn how to do it. Mostly,
general suggestions for any cpu was "not to overclock". While others
have had reported success in overclocking their particular cpu. What
has been mentioned here as well as other searches related to this
Subject, the thought for this cpu (Intel Pentium at 100Mhz) is to go
with more or additional memories if the slots and or space is
available. It certainly is for 48MB RAM to go to 136.

I am looking at the specs and board to see if any furhter memories
can be added or installed. It is certain that more RAM can be
installed.

THANKS for your time, help, and advise!!!!

Jerry

Old September 27th 07, 09:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello Ben,,,,,

OK and Thanks,,,just tooka look at the specifications and it says the
followng:

PB 600 Mother Board:

CACHE: 16KB L1 (Internal) write-back Cache (integrated in the CPU).
256KB L2 (External) write-through with write buffers cache soldered
on the motherboard.

And, based on the suggestions in this dicussion thread that is the
plan to add more memory both RAM and others where possible.

THANKS!!!!!!

Jerry

Old September 28th 07, 11:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

HI Jerry !

( comments below )

"Jerry" wrote in message
Hello Bob,,,,,,

OK,,,,,I just dug through my records that I had printed out from this
Group relating to ~~~600 Upgrades~~~. That was a long time ago and I
had forgotten I had these. I am surprised I still had them (vintagee
Group dat 1997-2003). And, I apologize for any inconvience.

Based on the dicussion here and those other listings along with the
pin orientaion listed on the specs for the 600MB, I now see the
default delivery for that board is set for max cpu as you mentioned
below. Next time I get a look at the MB I will make sure these are the
same. They should be because it was purchased new "off the shelf".

The pin orientation for J31 is set default as Host Bus Frequency at
50/60 Mhz and I doubt that setting it to 66Mhz would show any
"eye-ball popping" noticable increase in performance.

Actually, when you set the FSB ( front side bus ) speed to 66MHz, as opposed
to 50 or 60MHz, you are not just increasing the speed of the CPU. Even more
importantly, you are "speeding" up the motherboard. The I/O access is
faster, PCI slot ( video too! ) is faster ( max speed of 33Mhz), and memory
read/write speed is faster. This is a very noticeable increase in speed. And
66Mhz is not really "overclocking". Almost all components are designed to
handle this speed.

Aftermarket clone boards had settings of 75 and 83MHz ( and some had even
more settings, sometimes in 1MHz increments ). This would REALLY speed
things up, but sometimes created problems with some components. Certain
CPU's like the Cyrix were designed to run at 75MHz, but other components (
cheap ones usually ) had problems with this.

Then of course the Super Socket 7 boards came along, with speeds of 100Mhz
and beyond.

Intel practically never allows "overclocking" on their boards, and since I'm
not a big overclocker, I never cared. I prefer Intel motherboards ( now )
over almost everything else. Simply the most stable boards there are ( in my
opinion ). And PB used a lot of Intel boards.

I read that you mention your board has 256K of L2 cache. Good for you. This
is about the best you can do when it comes to a PB board, and it really
helps. Does your case say "Platinum" on it? My *research* indicates that
after Socket 4 boards, only the Platinum designated PB computers have L2
cache. I have yet to see one with 512k.

bob

Old September 28th 07, 05:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello Bob,,,,

OK,,,,I'll give the J31 a try and set it to 66MHz.

Based on your comments it must be an "eye-popping" or at least some
visually noticable difference,,,,,especially in I/O ~~~~(PCI, Video,
and Memory I/O) .

This looks like a case of---- "so what,,,,it ain't gonna hurt to set
it to 66MHz",,,,, and there will probably be some visual notice of
increased performance,,,If so or If not,,,then so be it!

Would this include the the I/O for the IDE/ATAPI interface for
disk,tape, cd, and other related I/O devices (floppy????) ?

Based on your description I hope I am beginning to see more about
"What's What" in this PB 600 MB specification for these jumpers.

It appears the J31 "Host Bus Freqeuncy" is the "Front Side Bus
Frequency" which affects I/Ocomponens on the MB, etc. on the MB.

What does the jumper J30 "Host Bus Freqeuncy" affect?

And, the J32 "Host core freq. Multiplier" looks like it affects the
speed of the CPU-----(overclocking????).

Looking up the term "Host Bus Frequency" on the the Internet was too
many to read but the ones that were read did not help to identiify
what specifically was affected. I would think that the availablity of
these type jumpers on a motherboard vary from one MB to another as
well as what specifcally is provided by these type jumpers which may
also vary from MB to MB (????).

Please excuse me if these are stupid questions and statements,,,
correct me if the statement is incorrect ,,,,the last time I delt wth
disk I/O and tape I/O, etc. was before the term DMA was on the
horizon,,,,,

THANKS,,,,,,

Jerry

Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:55:40 -0400, "Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

HI Jerry !

( comments below )

.. .

Old September 28th 07, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello Bob,,,

OPPPSSS ,,,, Sorry,,,,

No, it does not say Platinum on the front panel,,,,so, I will run a
process that I have and it will ID and quantify the stuff on the MB.

THANKS!!!!

Jerry

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:55:40 -0400, "Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

HI Jerry !

( comments below )

.. .

Old September 28th 07, 11:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hello Jerry !

Wait, you said you're running a 100MHz CPU, right ?

That means you are already at 66MHz FSB. 1.5X66MHz= 100MHz

And no, the difference is not at all eyepopping, just better. 8=)

I haven't studied your jumpers, the description is easy to find on the
internet. In any event, the only ones you can play with are the frequency
jumpers ( whichever that is. )

Don't bother changing the multiplier. That CPU will run slower, but it won't
run at 2X. You will need a 133, 150, 166, or 200 CPU for that. See my

bob

"Jerry" wrote in message
[...]

wrote:

HI Jerry !

( comments below )

. ..

Old September 29th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

The OP would have to make sure that the Powerleap kit includes the necessary
BIOS modifications to allow the BIOS to recognize the non-Intel CPU... Ben Myers

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 05:52:14 -0700, "mdp" wrote:

Jerry wrote:
Hello,,,,,,

The following instructions have been found to speed up
(overcloking????) the PB 600 MB 100MHZ Pentium (Ithink????):

1. J30 closed
2. J31 closed
3. J32 Closed
4. J28 the two inside pins connected

Would like to understand the following:

1. What speed should be expected?
2. Will this require a cooling fan?

THANKS!!!!!

Jerry

You might consider a Powerleap adapter and a K6-2 400MHz CPU (if a K6-3
works the difference will be dramatic). Some other upgrade stories he

http://www.geocities.com/siliconvall...ory/pb600.html

Other general info he

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall...774/pb600.html

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconVall.../8774/cpu.html

Old October 1st 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello Bob,,,,

OK,,,, and based on the Jumper settings in the specs as default with
the astric (*) mark these are the following:

J30 Host Bus Frequency * In 60/66 MHz
Out 50 MHz

J31 Host Bus Frequency In 66 MHz
* Out 50/60 MHz

J32 Host Core Freq. Multiplier * In 2 X
Out 1.5X

As far as overclocking or speeding up this CPU, it apears it came that
way from the factory.......

However, I do not know what the J31 jumper controls?

And, I had made the last entries at the bottom in this Newsgroup
THREAD before I found this one from you.

THANKS for your time, help, and advice!!!!

Jerry

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:04:39 -0400, "Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

Hello Jerry !

Wait, you said you're running a 100MHz CPU, right ?

That means you are already at 66MHz FSB. 1.5X66MHz= 100MHz

And no, the difference is not at all eyepopping, just better. 8=)

I haven't studied your jumpers, the description is easy to find on the
internet. In any event, the only ones you can play with are the frequency
jumpers ( whichever that is. )

Don't bother changing the multiplier. That CPU will run slower, but it won't
run at 2X. You will need a 133, 150, 166, or 200 CPU for that. See my

bob

"Jerry" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

wrote:

HI Jerry !

( comments below )

Old October 1st 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello agin BOB,,,,,

Sorry,,,I meant to mention this in the previous entry-----

Even though the board is out when I put in a PCI NIC (BTW: it works),
I did not look directly at these jumpers as they are configured on the
board. The system is running good and responsive!

OK, about the J32 jumper on 2X requires a 133,,,and would slow down a
100,,,,,,, THANKS for that warning,,,,, and no matter how they are
set I'm gonna leave them as they are set.

Jerry

wrote:

Hello Jerry !

Wait, you said you're running a 100MHz CPU, right ?

That means you are already at 66MHz FSB. 1.5X66MHz= 100MHz

And no, the difference is not at all eyepopping, just better. 8=)

I haven't studied your jumpers, the description is easy to find on the
internet. In any event, the only ones you can play with are the frequency
jumpers ( whichever that is. )

Don't bother changing the multiplier. That CPU will run slower, but it won't
run at 2X. You will need a 133, 150, 166, or 200 CPU for that. See my

bob

"Jerry" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

wrote:

HI Jerry !

( comments below )

m...

Old October 1st 07, 08:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Jerry

Hello All,,,

OK,,,I cannot read a THREAD properly,,,,,I inserted two entries to
Bob's TEST that should have been posted here!!! ;|

Sorry!!!!

Jerry