Two tone alarm on boot up

Old February 5th 06, 09:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Two tone alarm on boot up

Morning all

Since yesterday I have been unable to strat my puter. I have installed
no new sw or hw so why this has just happened is beyond me?

This is what happens as it stands...................

Once I have turned on the PC, it comes up with the E Machines logo
onscreen. Then it goes to a black screen with the message.

"We apologise but Windows failed to start succesfully. This may
be due to recent hardware or software changes blah blah blah"

It then gives me the options to start in Safe Mode, Safe Mode with
networking, Safe Mode with command prompt, last known good
configuration that worked, and lastly, Start Windows normally.

Whichever option I choose, as soon as I hit enter, the screen goes
black and the two tone siren begins and will sound continually until
I press and hold the power button to force the machine to turn off.

After doing some research using this computer in my son's room I found
a lot of info suggesting that this may be due to overheating, or
faulty cooling fans? In light of this I took the case apart and
thoroughly cleaned all the vents and fans with a vacuum cleaner
(carefully I might add)

This still never fixed it, exactly as before. I left the tower
unplugged for a good few hours and let it cool right down. Turned it
back on and it still does exactly the same thing so I am forgetting
the over heating theory.

As far as I can tell I all fans for the CPU and PSU appear to be
working normally and at speed. I cannot get into the system at all to
try and make any checks to anything so am at a complete loss

Hope someone out there can help?

Old February 5th 06, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 09:30:57 GMT, lid (Strangerwithin)
wrote:

[...]

Pull the drive if it has data on it and install it as a secondary in
another machine to get the data off. Next, put it back where it came
from and use your restore media to reinstall. If that fails, your
emachine met the same fate as mine, premature death. Likely causes
include power supply (check pc health in cmos and make sure 5v is at
least 4.9v. Problem could also be your mainboard, that's what finally
went on mine.

Boot.ini Bob General 31 August 19th 05 05:26 AM
The Adaptec curse or why can't I boot from an SCSI cdrom Montana Pete Asus Motherboards 10 June 5th 05 12:46 AM
Trouble cloning XP with Ghost 2003 Kevin Storage (alternative) 26 February 8th 05 05:33 AM
A7N8X Deluxe - at boot time it tried to boot from network Alex Hunsley Asus Motherboards 5 September 23rd 04 07:03 PM
How Move OS XP from Old to New HD? Nehmo Sergheyev Homebuilt PC's 80 January 12th 04 05:10 PM